Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MR's write up of Pacific Road Race R2

Bike
    Suzuki DR650

MR's write up of Pacific Road Race R2

First of all, I'd like to thank Quasie and Mrs evil for their great hospitality, letting us crash in their beautiful home and letting us have a great feed too!!

Yesterday's racing event was a step forward for me in the right direction.

Here is how I went:

Practice 1: I was just scrubbing in the tyres (yep, that means I had brand new tyres for a change!!!). I took my time scrubbing in the tyres and getting the feel for the track again. During the last few laps I turned the pace up a bit to warm up for the next practice session. After bringing it in, the tyres worked beautifully and they were scrubbed in pretty well too. K14 told me that I had got 47s as my best time for practice. I thought that, it was pretty good for just scrubbing in the tyres.

Practice 2: I got the chance to up the pace a bit more and fully scrub in the tyres. I also got a good feel for the track by now.

After Lunch racing began.

Race 1: The way things are done in taupo is pretty relaxed or crazy! There are no qualifiying times or anything and basically who ever comes first in the warmup lap get's to pick his/her grid position. All thanx to my tyre warmers that F/F had kindly gifted to me, I was able to go hard straight way on the mad dash for a good grid position. I was able to slot my self in between Nick Cole and Glen Williams on the front row! (I am #15, 2nd one from the left on the pic below).

The red flag was taken out and we waited from the green flag to be dropped. As soon as the green flag twiched to move on it's way down, I could already hear the revs of the engines rising... just waiting for the clutch to be released. A few mili seconds later, all of us shot off like a bullet exploding out of the barrel of a gun. I still held 3rd position in a straight line but soon, a bunch of guys lined them selves up on the inside of turn one so I had to let them through. Then again, the same thing happened at the hairpin. I was kicked from 3rd to 9th position in less than half a lap. We went round and round for 6 laps and that was the end of race one. I managed to hold 9th position and I felt more and more comfertable with the bike and the track with each lap. I had managed a best lap of 44s with a pretty consistant 45s so I was pretty happy with that. The pic below is from Race 1:

Race 2: For race 2, I was feeling a lot more confident. again, we furiously shot out of the pits to go around the warm up lap as quickly as possible. Again I got a front row grid position. This time I was commited to not letting other people pass and try to be a bit more agressive. Again, the green flag dropped and we took off like the wind. We went into turn one and this time I had covered my line well, not letting others pass through. Through the hairpin as well, I kept a really tight line, making it impossible for someone to pass me around the outside. This time I grabed 6th position after completing the 6 laps. I was really happy about it because I could actually see the guys up front this time and I could feel like I was getting more closer to the F2 race pace. The guys came around and cheered for me, which was really cool. This time I had come 4th in F2 and 6th overall because They ran F2 and F1 classes at the same time. More important than that, i managed a low 43s lap time!! I was really happy about that. I wanted the 43 but I didn't think, it would come to me this soon!

Race 3: I started race 3, in a typicaly MR manner. As the guys were shooting off for the warmup lap into the track, I was still undoing the tyre warmers and getting the bike off the race stands. TS quickly came to the rescue and I managed to sneak into the 2nd row of the grid by skipping the warm up lap. This time I was behind a few guys to begin with and after getting the green flag, some more guys got through because I had a crap start as well. I managed to get past someone at the hairpin and I started going pretty well. Then a Supermotard of all things overtook me around the sweeper. A Supermotard?? As good as they may be around corners, they'r no match for a inline 4 600cc bike on a straight. I took him on the straight and then kept him at bay for the rest of the race. I also had a good battle with a guy riding a GSXR1000 up front. I almost managed to get him on the hairpin but he didn't budge. For the rest of the race, I was just waiting for the moment to make a pass but then I missed a gear comming out of the hairpin and that was the end of that. I came around for the 6th time and I came home at 7th (I think) for Race 3 behind the Gixxer thou.

Overall I was happy with my performance and the performance of the bike and tyres as well. I am finally begining to feel comfertable during racing conditions. I have always found race conditions stressfull and nerv wrecking so far (although shit loads of fun at the same time). But now, from how I went yesterday, I just felt like as if it was almost like a KB ride where I didn't have any worries. The only thing I was foccused on was riding my bike well. I have a long long way to go but the path is becomming a lot more clearer.

Thank you for all the guys who helped me out, timed me, took pictures of me etc etc. It really does help to have you guys out there for support. Not only is it just helpfull but I probably couldn't have done as well, if it wasn't for the support from you guys. So, cheers for that!

Most KB guys out there were doing very well but the few that caught my attention for doing exceptionally well were of course TS, ThatGuy and scroter. It's scarry to think what TS will be capable of in a few months/years of racing, if he's doing this well already! Well done that man!!

Bike
    R6 & CRF sold, new bike is coming

re write up

awesome write up up man,are you sure your not a bike Jurno ?..
    Glad it went so well for you and the others...

F/F
    "Kiwi Biker, still a great place despite the mods "

"Would crawl over broken glass before owning Suzuki"

The only reason I only ride in the Iron man Class is I have no friends left to enter the two man events,
    my own fault really.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefight
    awesome write up up man,are you sure your not a bike Jurno ?..
    Glad it went so well for you and the others...

F/F
    Good on ya mate, glad ya had a great day

i got the service manual for ya bike if ya want it also. pdf file

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    wicked write up (and what great subject material)! I wouldn't get worried about the motard going round the outside tho, cause that is what they do best! Good to hear you gobbled him on the straights

and no crashes! you beauty!

Bike
    Ducati 400ss
    Well done Sudeep you're improving all the time. I'll have to come watch next time.

Bike
    Thinking
    gOOD WRITE UP MATE, GOOD READIN (CAPS) yEAH YOU DID BLOODY WELL, WE COULD ACTUALLY SEE THE IMPROVING AS YOU RODE (FUCK CAPS thought I turned them off) we could see the confidence bursting outta ya leathers mate, looked as much of a racer as any of them, and better than most!!!!

No Probs with accomodation youre both welcome any time mate, cant believe I got out of bed at 5am to cook ya bloody breakfast though !!!

Good all round day

Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    WEAPON
    Feckin aye MR, those lap times were hot, i can't believe the improvment, well done for sure, do ya reckon that day with fred has helped you alot in regards with the Taupo track.
    Go sticky tyres as well, what a differnce a good set of rubber can make.
    Now i shall pay you less so hopefully you can only afford cheap arse shinko's then maybe i can still hang with you, er maybe.

Bruce
    GSXR wiping the shit that is that Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki off the road since '85'

All you Gixxer riders check it out http://www.gixxerplanet.com/home/ind...referrerid=235
    For all your riding saftey gear needs and Remus Mufflers check out www.quasimoto.co.nz
    Anything Suzuki! Rock into Colemans and check it out www.colemans-suzuki.co.nz

Bike
    05 CBR 600RR
    Wicked stuff Sudeep!

Wont be long till you'll be in the top 3 all the time. Go for it!

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Thanks guys!

Cajun: Do you mean, a manual for me or F/F?

Quasie: Yea, I couldn't belive it either. Your a legend mate! P.S. Thanks for your eforts but I'm sorry I wasn't putting out any of that MR charm for your line up. Even though that Rose chick was pretty hot, I think that I was way too focused and a bit stressed about the raceday to be thinking about girls.

Bruce: That training day definitely helped for sure. It was really good to walk around the track with hoon in the morning because I could recap from his notes. Ohhhh... I was just gunna come and talk to you about my raise too. :disapint:

Quote Originally Posted by Motoracer
    Thanks guys!

Cajun: Do you mean, a manual for me or F/F?

Quasie: Yea, I couldn't belive it either. Your a legend mate! P.S. Thanks for your eforts but I'm sorry I wasn't putting out any of that MR charm for your line up. Even though that Rose chick was pretty hot, I think that I was way too focused and a bit stressed about the raceday to be thinking about girls.

Bruce: That training day definitely helped for sure. It was really good to walk around the track with hoon in the morning because I could recap from his notes. Ohhhh... I was just gunna come and talk to you about my raise too. :disapint:
    Manual for you mate, pm ya address and i post you a cd copy of it. or if ya got a fast connection i got a site you can d/l it from.

F/F bike is to far gone to even bother fixing, its a yamaha just throw it away its junk dc:<

Bike

Come here and say that

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun

F/F bike is to far gone to even bother fixing, its a yamaha just throw it away its junk dc:<

Come on then I'll fuckin throw you away mate.

F/F

The only reason I only ride in the Iron man Class is I have no friends left to enter the two man events,
    my own fault really.

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    Awesome write up Sudeep you were flying out there, and looked very controlled and smooth.... You will hit the 42's in no time.....

Hurry up and get a Suzuki Dave.... Wait till you hear mine with an aftermarket pipe you can hear it next week if you donate me $900 lol....
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Arrr, Oi loikes livin' vicariously through you young uns!!

Keep the race reports coming folks, and by golly you all have a standard to live up to now!!

Nice job MR.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefight
    Come on then I'll fuckin throw you away mate.

F/F
    dont worry hes just sick in the head from that god awful calf shit coloured bike blinding his sense of taste!!!

Bike

Nice One

Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX
    dont worry hes just sick in the head from that god awful calf shit coloured bike blinding his sense of taste!!!

Yeah good on ya mate .

F/F

my own fault really.

Thread Information