Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How much fun are wheelies

Bike

How much fun are wheelies

man i love doing wheelies, stoppies, call me a show off but how cool is it to get all ya gear on leatherd up with the iridium visor go in2 twn and play with all the boy racers man there cars are slow, im not a "young hoon" by any stretch of the imagination, just cant stop myself, all you oldez probly think im givn bikers a bad name and what not but if theres a group of people standing on the side of the road i have to do a wheelie . how fast has any1 gone on the back wheel? on my old 750 i had no idea(speedo ran off frnt wheel) on the r1 i have done 244kph

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries

Wheelies are some fun.

Managed a couple of smallish power wheelies this morning, giving the VifFerraRi some handfuls on the way to work. It's a bit harder than the FahrtSturm, which wheelied very readily off the throttle at low-mid revs, whereas the VifFerraRi is a bit heavier, carries the weight further forward, and develops peak torque/HP around 9k RPM.
    But it's still satisfying. And fun.

How much trouble can you get into doing them though? Can you be sure that people whom you thought would admire your prowess and big nads aren't going to going to take exception to you enjoying yourself? :spudwhat:
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    None any more
    Jesus wept. I can't help it but for some strange reason the word "moron" flashes before my eyes. Repeatedly.

Yes, I do think that this sort of testosterone-charged willy-waggling gives all bikers a bad name. Even worse, is that when conducted as "described" it will probably get people badly hurt or killed.

I am as big a fan as anybody of skillful stunting. But in an appropriate place at an appropriate time. Please.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    If only I could do them :confused2

One day...

Bike
    mutterbumpkin

Yep...

Probably just waiting for a post from Death_Inc here are we?

Only time i popped a wheelie on a road bike was one sunny day a couple'o months back where i had the partner on the back and a GTO with mid-life-crisis-mantm beside me.

And i got a whack on the skull-cap for that little mistake.

I assume we're (where just for hitcher?) counting big planned mono's and not the gentle lift of the front wheel when hammering it out of a 2nd gear corner?

Bike
    Thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Motoracer

One day...
    Me to MR, I did one draggin of Gixerboy on full power, didnt even mean to, but it was cool as! would love to do it as and when I wanted but it scares me a bit to be honest, flipping etc.
    I think though its something thats cool to do, but not all the time and pick your moments carefully
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    Jesus wept. I can't help it but for some strange reason the word "moron" flashes before my eyes. Repeatedly.

Yes, I do think that this sort of testosterone-charged willy-waggling gives all bikers a bad name. Even worse, is that when conducted as "described" it will probably get people badly hurt or killed.

I am as big a fan as anybody of skillful stunting. But in an appropriate place at an appropriate time. Please.
    My bad.

But I must admit, that almost all my wheelies (apart from one big, stupid, somewhat clumsy and one from the traffic lights last year, which I immediately decided was a mistake) are more or less unintended, and almost always conducted away from spectators, as that's not the point, for me at least.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Motoracer
    Bollocks, dude, just whack the throttle open on the K2! Where's the hassle?

FWIW, I entirely agree with Hitcher on the utter foolishness of doing 200kph-plus, or even 100kph-plus, wheelies on the road, just because your bike *can*.

Unfortunately the original post, in my opinion, is an excellent argument for why bikes like R1Aaron's are sometimes a bad idea. For some people.

Popping the front a little, away from the lights, can be forgiven. As can lifting the rear coming up to them. The keys are speed (as in a lack thereof), control, restraint and discretion.

But high-speed wheelies and other hard-out penis-waggling stunting should, like other forms of masturbation, be performed away from taxpayer-funded facilities.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom
    Bollocks, dude, just whack the throttle open on the K2! Where's the hassle?

FWIW, I entirely agree with Hitcher on the utter foolishness of doing 200kph-plus, or even 100kph-plus, wheelies on the road, just because your bike *can*.

Unfortunately the original post, in my opinion, is an excellent argument for why bikes like R1Aaron's are sometimes a bad idea. For some people.

Popping the front a little, away from the lights, can be forgiven. As can lifting the rear coming up to them. The keys are speed (as in a lack thereof), control, restraint and discretion.

But high-speed wheelies and other hard-out penis-waggling stunting should, like other forms of masturbation, be performed away from taxpayer-funded facilities.
    JR, my excuse for being a pussy is that I'd rather not experiment with my race bike. Eg, I can not afford repairs if I fuck it up. Seriously, I am still paying off the bike. I know about 80% of the people out there are in the same situation and still some have the balls to give it a go... good on em and I have respect for em. I have tried wheelies before, every single time I muckup a landing, I have visions of wrecking my precious Ohlins fork internals, my precious DID chain, which I'd rather wear out at the track doing laps.

I have "wheelied" as in getting it up, carying it on for a few seconds maximum and then landing it but I mean, I can't get it up nicely everytime, go up through the gears and end up doing 210kmph on the back wheel (which is entirely possible on my bike with the right rider). It is all about practice. One day, when I can afford repairs or a second decent bike, I might give it a proper go.

P.S. With mordern 600cc+ sports bikes, I think you'd find it rather hard to do under 100kmph wheelies. Infact, it would require a hell of a lot more skill to keep your proper wheelies under a 100Kmph.

Bike
    Yeah i thought there would be some ill feeling toward it as far as puplic safty etc big high speed wake you up wheelies should of course be done on the open road away from joe(Booring want to live forever)average, slow controled wheelies and rolling stoppies are for spectator pleasure, as for trouble god dam i have had to do more runners for 30-60kph wheelies than speeding and b4 you all go nuts about failing to stop i have lost my licence many a time and paid a small fortune out in fines(probly enough to buy a new o4 R1) but at this point in my life im not willing to stop riding i dont like bussing and the copperz cars are so slow, i have put serious thought into ditching the plate painting the bike black and F@$k the law all together, but that as i think one of you said drums up words like moron, its hard to describe how much i love riding my bike the way i do, i mean i have been on bikes since i was 7 i only have a restricted car licence that i only got to take the kids to school, other wise i would only have a bike

Bike
    Yeah i thought there would be some ill feeling toward it as far as puplic safty etc big high speed wake you up wheelies should of course be done on the open road away from joe(Booring want to live forever)average, slow controled wheelies and rolling stoppies are for spectator pleasure, as for trouble god dam i have had to do more runners for 30-60kph wheelies than speeding and b4 you all go nuts about failing to stop i have lost my licence many a time and paid a small fortune out in fines(probly enough to buy a new o4 R1) but at this point in my life im not willing to stop riding i dont like bussing and the copperz cars are so slow, i have put serious thought into ditching the plate painting the bike black and F@$k the law all together, but that as i think one of you said drums up words like moron, its hard to describe how much i love riding my bike the way i do, i mean i have been on bikes since i was 7 i only have a restricted car licence that i only got to take the kids to school, other wise i would only have a bike, i have never hurt any1 i have never caused a crash, whats the harm i dont think im any more dangerous than mum putting lippy on while driving the kids to school

Bike
    GSXR 750 (No 10)
    Quote Originally Posted by R1AaronKDX
    man i love doing wheelies, stoppies, call me a show off but how cool is it to get all ya gear on leatherd up with the iridium visor go in2 twn and play with all the boy racers man there cars are slow, im not a "young hoon" by any stretch of the imagination, just cant stop myself, all you oldez probly think im givn bikers a bad name and what not but if theres a group of people standing on the side of the road i have to do a wheelie . how fast has any1 gone on the back wheel? on my old 750 i had no idea(speedo ran off frnt wheel) on the r1 i have done 244kph
    Wheelies are the bizzo mate. Love em to bits. Right place and time though. I prefer to do them in the middle of town in front of as many people as I can. Outside womens beach vollyball training camps are good too.

Bike
    2015 S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo600
    . Outside womens beach vollyball training camps are good too.
    I can just see me attempting that, fall flat on face, all I can hear is the screams of laughter. Good job I dont plan on doing any intentional wheelies.
    The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook.

I don't do it on bikes - you are too far away from the audeance and you don't get the full effect of their enjoyment.I've got an old coat I got at the Sally Op Shop,then I cut the legs off a pair of jeans - man,you should hear those school girls scream...they just love me....
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by R1AaronKDX
    Yeah i thought there would be some ill feeling toward it as far as puplic safty etc big high speed wake you up wheelies should of course be done on the open road away from joe(Booring want to live forever)average, slow controled wheelies and rolling stoppies are for spectator pleasure, as for trouble god dam i have had to do more runners for 30-60kph wheelies than speeding and b4 you all go nuts about failing to stop i have lost my licence many a time and paid a small fortune out in fines(probly enough to buy a new o4 R1) but at this point in my life im not willing to stop riding i dont like bussing and the copperz cars are so slow, i have put serious thought into ditching the plate painting the bike black and F@$k the law all together, but that as i think one of you said drums up words like moron, its hard to describe how much i love riding my bike the way i do, i mean i have been on bikes since i was 7 i only have a restricted car licence that i only got to take the kids to school, other wise i would only have a bike, i have never hurt any1 i have never caused a crash, whats the harm i dont think im any more dangerous than mum putting lippy on while driving the kids to school
    I think you need some new friends. Let's start with Mr Fullstop and Mrs Capital-letter...
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Thread Information