Thread: Kawi Z650 (1978) Starter Motor

Bike
    KTM530EXC

Kawi Z650 (1978) Starter Motor

I am rebuilding a Z650 I got part dismantled. Today I went through the electrical system and sorted out more than a few issues. However, my starter motor spins but does not crank the engine. Any ideas? I have a spare starter and it just spins - it does not shunt out a cog like a car starter does. Should it do that (looking at it, I think not)? In the meantime -- Good job I have a kickstarter.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    If the the starter motor is working ok then the problem will most likely be in the one way clutch.

Hopefully this link will work showing the layout.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...s-1978/o/m3960

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Thanks - I have exactly the same pic in my manual. Now, I am wondering if I can get at those bits (starter clutch) with the engine in place, or, if I'll have to split the case. Or, learn to live with the kick start. What do you reckon?

And thanks for that link.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-the-boat View Post
    Thanks - I have exactly the same pic in my manual. Now, I am wondering if I can get at those bits (starter clutch) with the engine in place, or, if I'll have to split the case.
    A google of Z650 starter clutch returned this.

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...starter+clutch

It looks like the starter clutch unit is internal so the cases need splitting.
    One link in the google search said this.
    Paul is the crankshaft rotor bolt done up tight with loctite cuz
    on both my Z1000s they got a tendency to work loose and give the
    impression the starter clutch isnt working ie just spinning
    the initial post seemed to be Z650 related (maybe the Z1000 has the same system) so maybe try to eliminate any mechanical parts that are easily accessible first.

Good luck

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX10R (2006), Kawasaki GPz550H2
    i had a z650 many, many years ago and split the engine a few times. i also helped other people do work on theirs.

the z650 starter clutch can start to slip after a while and you need to replace the rollers and springs.

you can get access to the starter clutch through the sump but its not easy. you may need to take the engine out of the frame and turn it upside down.

otherwise, its case splitting time.

another thing to be careful of is that the case bolts (the big ones) are only meant to be done up a few times before discarding them. the manual used to actually tell you to do this. if you don't, the next time you split the cases and try and undo the bolts, they will snap on you! they'll also snap on you when you're doing them up. ask me how i know!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

I would'a, I could'a, I should'a - Loser's Lament

I could'a been a contender!! - Loser's lament part 2

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    When you refer to springs and rollers - does that mean items 10, 11, 12 in the pic above?

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX10R (2006), Kawasaki GPz550H2
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-the-boat View Post
    When you refer to springs and rollers - does that mean items 10, 11, 12 in the pic above?
    yep. i did it on mine. i suppose you could try stretching the springs as a short term thing. i think i cheated and only replaced the springs when i did mine.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

I would'a, I could'a, I should'a - Loser's Lament

I could'a been a contender!! - Loser's lament part 2

Thread Information