Thread: Possibly dumb question - engine knock

Bike
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800

Possibly dumb question - engine knock

It's been a while since I posted one, after all....

Last Wed night I had parked my bike outside (in the cool air) at the BRONZ meeting. When I started her up afterwards I thought I heard a bit of an intermittent pop or knock (not a backfire) - about every second or two. As I had the helmet and balaclava etc on I wasn't sure and the noise went away soon after. Some of the guys there thought they heard it too but I was on the other side of the parking lot and it had gone by the time I got over to them to double check.

Bike's been running fine, still is. Hadn't heard the noise again, been busy and ignored it for the moment. This morning I pulled her out of the gargre and started up, same again. Lasted for less than a minute, and there's a knock every second or so until she warms up. Rode to work fine, and I didn't have a chance to get out to Colemans/Holeshot/... during the day - crazy diary disease. Parking at work is warm so she started up fine on the way home tonight.

The question is, is this a sign of imminent doom and I should proceed direct to the nearest spannerman first thing tomorrow, before the piston is ejected from the exhaust, or can I book in a more leisurely inspection after the long weekend? I have no long distance riding plans this weekend, but may head out to Muriwai for a coffee at some stage.

I realise noone can diagnose the actual fault over the internet but I suppose I'm asking what's the worst case scenario?

Bike is a 1997 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder, 37000ish km's.
    Redefining slow since 2006...

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Possibly just a misfire from a slightly wet plug if you're starting it from cold with choke. Try throwing a new set of plugs in it.

Bike
    GSF1200sk3, DR650k6
    Blog Entries
    could be just not the oil pressure being there as well , as it gets colder you may notice things like this

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quick - check your oil level - it may have dropped a bit and on a cold start its taking a while to get around the engine. Sometimes modern engines do burn a wee bit, and the big twins are often lugged around a lot.

Also when was it last changed? I've a Madza that loves clean oil - once it starts to get a bit old (6k or so of around town running) the first sign is a slight head noise on a cold start - clean Castrol and she's sweet again.

Bike
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Quick - check your oil level ...
    Nope, oil's OK and was changed a few thou ago at most.
    Redefining slow since 2006...

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Quick - check your oil level - it may have dropped a bit and on a cold start its taking a while to get around the engine. Sometimes modern engines do burn a wee bit, and the big twins are often lugged around a lot.

Also when was it last changed? I've a Madza that loves clean oil - once it starts to get a bit old (6k or so of around town running) the first sign is a slight head noise on a cold start - clean Castrol and she's sweet again.
    Shouldn't cause those sorts of noises though, lack of oil would make a lot of rattling top end noise.

My bike does similar things when it gets very cold. I think part of it is the occasional misfire due to it just being damned cold, wet plug or whatever who knows -- but the extra fuel ends up in the exhaust and gently ignites and makes an intermittent popping noise. Not the usual sort of backfire *bang* or spitting back through the carb thing.

Bike
    2004 krr zx150
    I've a Madza that loves clean oil - once it starts to get a bit old (6k or so of around town running) the first sign is a slight head noise on a cold start - clean Castrol and she's sweet again.
    It's probably got hydrolic lifters, so when the oil gets a little older and thicker it struggles to pump oil until it's warmed up a little.

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Possibly just a misfire from a slightly wet plug if you're starting it from cold with choke. Try throwing a new set of plugs in it.
    What he said.

And holy shit, katwomen gave advice.

Good shit catwomen. credit where credit is due.(jew)

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    My single cylinder performs in a similar fashion if I leave the choke on to long when it warms up stationary.......
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    "Grim Reaper"
    my marauder made a similar sound before it blew itself up
    ended up with a new top end so be wary of the knocking sound if it starts to sound worse spannerman it quickly
    I've learnt to hide the pain inside, open the throttle and ride away.

Thread Information