Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Capital Coast Adventure Ride 26 April 2008. Photos here

Bike
    Yamaha DT230
    A belated thanks to John & his team for an awesome adventure.
    I stayed on in the Wellington region for work stuff & just got home tonight.

The CCA was incredible with a great mix of terrain & scenery. The DT230 felt ideal for the ride & I was very relieved I didn't take the XF650. John's tyre (knobblies) recconmendation was spot on & even then I dropped the pressures twice during the ride.
    Having changed the front sprocket prior helped with traction & handling but stuffed up the trip meter / route sheet calibration. So I tried to stick with jezzaNZ (Super Tenere) cause I figured that with him being local we wouldn't get lost (thanks for waiting Jeremy). Watching the way he could ride that heavy beast was an inspiration & if there was a prize for the best sounding bike, then the XTZ 750 would have won easily.

I haven't done much actual trail riding, so it was very satisfying to finish the complete route, especially the challenge sections. However I nearly met my nemisis on one steep descent that wasn't actually part of the route (many others made the same mistake). Getting out of that gully was tough for the big adventure bikes.

Many highlights but only the one pic (damm camera), showing the different seat heights between tri boy's Scrambler, my DT230 & chris managements DR650 security locked together outside our motel.

So big appreciation again to ForSkins for his magic & BusaJim for the warm-up ride. Thanks also to coonyer, transalper & El Scooto for their company on the ferry.

Bike
    Yamaha DT230
    The one & only pic.
    Those 990's didn't even get dirty???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCA 001.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	366.7 KB 
ID:	94645  

Bike
    DR650, 990 Adv
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    Yep, that almost got me, as my odo was right on the distance at that bridge, but it didn't look right.
    Well spotted Clint. I always try and draw the corners and turn-offs accurately and the 'wrong' turn was quite different.

In hindsight, I should have had a RESET at the lights in Karori. The distance from the start of Karori South Rd to the correct turn is 3.0km, the 'incorrect' turn is 700m before. I have never even looked up there and it never occurred to me... I don't even remember a second bridge on that road!

Anyway, I got the phone call I was expecting on Monday night. I was able to pacify her when I explained it was all just a mistake by some silly riders!!! She's trying to create a bird sanctuary up there. Looked like quite a useful track, but I don't fancy our chances any more.
    "To a man of imagination, a map is a window to adventure."
    -- Sir Francis Chichester (1902-1972) --
    http://www.capitalcoastadventure.co.nz

Bike
    Triumph Scrambler

Some guy on a Triumph

Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Here's a few more
    Some guy on a triumph, View south on from Long valley (?), Wgtn harbour from Makara challenge section
    Upright in that pic, had a few unexpected lie-downs but no damage done. Good ol' ride, keen to do more. The pillion wants her own bike for next time, what suggestions?http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/im...s/playnice.gif
    Gunna bin anDunnit

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    The pillion wants her own bike for next time, what suggestions?
    Terra Mostero.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Upright in that pic, had a few unexpected lie-downs but no damage done. Good ol' ride, keen to do more. The pillion wants her own bike for next time, what suggestions?http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/im...s/playnice.gif
    If you are the dude I think you are (young lady on the back had some blueish hair) I cant really blame her! No offence intended cause you could punt that thing but I wasn't the only one to comment that it would have been a damn interesting ride being your pillion.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    WR250R
    Upright in that pic, had a few unexpected lie-downs but no damage done. Good ol' ride, keen to do more. The pillion wants her own bike for next time, what suggestions?
    Super Sherpa

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    Super Sherpa
    +1 on that, and not just because I have a KLR.

the unlimited bike rental place has a sherpa, you could try it out first
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2021 DR650SE
    Super Sherpa
    Yeah, that was a nice looking bike. I should have been cheeky and asked if you fancied a swap for a little while.

Gunna, another bike I'd recommend (because I bought one for my missus to learn on and now I've hijacked it permanently) is a DR200SE. Low and light, like the Sherpa. It has some advantages and disadvantages, but I'm loving mine. Eh, loving the missus', that is.

Cheers,

Chris.

Bike
    SW-125R(F4-TF125), ZXRD400, RD250LC
    Blog Entries
    Super Sherpa
    Excellent choice. Wife had one and it makes a great commuter and a good off road starter because of it's low height. Good for confidence.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Upright in that pic, had a few unexpected lie-downs but no damage done. Good ol' ride, keen to do more. The pillion wants her own bike for next time, what suggestions
    Yep, Super Sherpa is a good rig, also look at the new 08 Yamaha XT250, the old XT250 (actually a 225) wasn't near as nice as the Sherpa but the new ones look good.

Cheers
    Clint

Thread Information