Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SV 1000 v VTR 1000

Bike
    2006 DR650, 2008 Bandit 1250
    Quote Originally Posted by dipshit View Post
    I haven't had any problems with anything touching or bottoming out after 10,000 ks since doing it. I had to raise forks up 15 mm, but compensated about half of that by winding the preload completely down. Someone else who did this mod, didn't compensate with the preload and did indeed have contact with the radiator.

See this for more details... (I'm kiwi2000)
    www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24969
    For a "dipshit" you da man!!!! There aint no good TLs left, so if you want a man's bike then buy the SV. You wont reget it. A quote from a very good friend of mine and a biker from way back....."I would rather see my sister in a whorehouse than my brother on a Honda"

Frankv '08

Bike
    Bikes!
    I haven't had any problems with anything touching or bottoming out after 10,000 ks since doing it. I had to raise the forks up 15 mm, but compensated about half of that by winding the preload completely down. Someone else who did this mod, didn't compensate with the preload and did indeed have contact with the radiator.
    Nice Definitely something to watch out for... hope they build a 60 degree twin next

Bike
    Several old ones

Had to make the same decision a year ago

Mate ride both & decide, apparently the VTR has crap front suspension and the cam chain and tensioners can give problems. The earlier SVs where known to have some teething problems too.
    The SV with the Fuel injection is a more versatile bike, and definitley has the advantage over the VTR with fuel consumption, but saying that use all the power on the SV and it will drink like a fish too.
    SV has the slipper style 6 speed gearbox, fully adjustable suspension,
    the VTR is 5 speed and partial adjustment.

The fuel injection, and 6 speed box, an better fuel consumption (for sure) sealed SV for me.
    Plus it looks a bit more modern the VTR had a slightly better seating posn in my opinion, and is still an all round great bike
    If you buy a SV put Yoshi mufflers on it, the original mufflers should not be allowed all that beautiful sound muffled. (its a hanging offence)

Bike
    2005 Triumph Speed Four
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    Mate ride both & decide, apparently the VTR has crap front suspension and the cam chain and tensioners can give problems. The earlier SVs where known to have some teething problems too.
    The SV with the Fuel injection is a more versatile bike, and definitley has the advantage over the VTR with fuel consumption, but saying that use all the power on the SV and it will drink like a fish too.

The fuel injection, and 6 speed box, an better fuel consumption (for sure) sealed SV for me.
    Not sure which year VTR you're referring to but my 02 has a 6-speed box and adjustable suspension front and rear. Carbs yes but I see that as a plus. FI can be more fuel efficient but it can also be less forgiving traction-wise if you're harsh with the throttle.

I considered the SV and VTR pretty even from a technical standpoint. I chose the VTR on comfort and looks. Each to his own I say. I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you choose.
    Manawatu Tag-o-rama Website. Mowgli's score: 38

Bike
    Bikeless for now but shopping.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic View Post
    Wow Animal you live in Perth? My Mum lives in Kal not far from you ha 6 plus hrs not far. You must be the only Kiwibiker out side on NZ??
    Thanks for that, will do on imdying, not sure if he still has a SV, as the only bike I see him on is a luckly strike suzuki 250?
    Congrats on the new ride - that's just bloody awesome!

Nah, there's a growing number of Kiwis now living on the West Island. Click on the Members List and scroll through a few pages. I'm not planning on staying out here in this dustbowl. I'm hoping to be back in Christchurch in a few months. I haven't ridden out to Kalgoorlie, but have flown out there a number of times (business not pleasure).

imdying will NEVER get rid of his SV! He's put so much work into that bike that they'll probably have to bury him with it when he carks! pm him and pay the guy a visit. For an IT geek, he's done some pretty clever mechanical stuff.

Bike
    KTM 950 Super Moto
    Flag the V-twins, do ya self a favour buy a GSX-R....nuff said.
    NZ Highway Patrol's Road Safety Campaign....
    Get Bikes off the Road at All Costs!

Bike
    Yeah Baby!

Plus it looks a bit more modern the VTR had a slightly better seating posn in my opinion, and is still an all round great bike
    If you buy a SV put Yoshi mufflers on it, the original mufflers should not be allowed all that beautiful sound muffled. (its a hanging offence)
    The VTR has better fuel consumption, range, comfort, clutch, gearbox, reliability, finish and does backfires real good.

The VTR was meant to have fuelling problems, like stalling at lights, but in almost 70,000k's I never experienced it, nor did I ever have to adjust the carbs. The SV with about 9,000 k's does it all the time, I have mates who have to get the idle adjusted. Mine always stalls when cold, can not handle an closing throttle without stalling.

The VTR also had on early version faults on the CCT's and the Reg/regulator. Both of these problems were addressed in newer versions. The rate of CCT failure on post 2001 bikes is very low. I do not now of anyone myself who has had a failure. The newer parts fit the older bikes.

The best you know is the best you've ridden. I've ridden both.
    Some things are worth dying for, living is one of them.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatjim View Post
    The SV with about 9,000 k's does it all the time, I have mates who have to get the idle adjusted. Mine always stalls when cold, can not handle an closing throttle without stalling.
    TRE fitted?

Bike
    2017, BMW, F800GT
    You should have known better than to ask for an unbiaded opinion. Personally I ride VTR but it was going cheap and I wanted a V twin.

Use it to get to work each day, 360ish km/week.

Get about 190-200km before the o.l.d (orange light of doom), 14ltrs to refill.

V-twins are excellent in traffic as they lane split...... I mean over take other road users easily.

Bike
    GSX-R600 k8
    Quote Originally Posted by munterk6 View Post
    Flag the V-twins, do ya self a favour buy a GSX-R....nuff said.
    Yet so many riders after owning a V-twin, could never go back to il4's.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Horses for courses really isn't it?

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Yet so many riders after owning a V-twin, could never go back to il4's.
    Depends what you want. I could go back to a v-twin, but I've never owned an IL4. I like the character of v-engined bikes.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Several old ones

SV fuel consumption

Just done 500km on the SV this weekend, kept it under 5000 rpm, mostly . that is under about 130kmhr, did 48mpg, this is the 3rd check I have done & got the same mpg, bloody good if you ask me. between 17-18 km /litre

Bike
    GSX R1000 K7
    Sorry to quote ya, but what year did the VTR come out with a 5 speed?????????
    Maybe mine`s got a bonus 6th gear...
    Let the good times roll

Bike
    '01 VTR SP1, '92 NSR300, rm125,
    rc51? or firestorm?

big diference,,, if sp1, then yes will clean sv1000
    simple?
    zzzzzZZZ

Thread Information