Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replating vs. sleeving cylinders

Bike
    None

Replating Vs. Sleeving Cylinders

I will be rebuilding a RM250K5 some time in the next month or so and wondering what others opinions are on this.
    Calling people with reasonable mechanical knowledge....(Eg, Reckless, Danger)
    Thanks.

Bike
    08 RMZ250
    i wouldn't think you would need to replate or sleeve a bike of this age, but i supose it depends on use and abuse.
    check condition of power vavles
    replace all bearings sence the motor will be apart anyway. (peace of mind)

Bike
    2006 RMZ 450
    wouldn't think you would need to replate or sleeve a bike of this age, but i supose it depends on use and abuse.
    Only if the bike has been seized etc he will.

I recently rebuilt my mates bike which had seized and made a hell of a mess of the bore, We decided to go with a cast iron sleeve which gives the option or a rebore or hone should it be damaged again in the future, I also think it was the cheaper faster option, He did comment that it was down a little on power than before so whether or not this was due to extra friction from the cast bore or not im not sure.

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    I tried both methods on my KX500. I noticed a definite loss in power when I re sleeved it, and wish I hadn't done that. I recomend a replate.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    I tried both methods on my KX500. I noticed a definite loss in power when I re sleeved it, and wish I hadn't done that. I recomend a replate.
    I concur, when you purchase a sleeve and have it pressed in there is in fact a lot of port finishing to do. That requires a small precision right angle die grinder, port roof angle templates, an alloy slug machined up to gauge port heights and matching of AND lots of very fastidious hours. To do this properly would in fact make the job more expensive than replating. ( And you also have to very carefully pick your replating agents! )
    As so often happens people see resleeving of a 2 stroke cylinder as a cheap way out, they invariably always get a cheap job and a horsepower deficit. If you are buying a bike that is resleeved it effectively has a lesser value.

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    And there is now an outfit doing the replating here in NZ. No need to send them to Aussie anymore.

(Will look up their business name when I get into work tomorrow).

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    And there is now an outfit doing the replating here in NZ.
    http://www.engineservices.co.nz/cylinder%20plating.htm
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    None
    I know it needs it engine is apart. Nice big gouge below intake port (Air Filter caked in dust)And im replacing all shell bearings and the mains but no others as the bike has very low hours. (obviously small end bearing with the piston..)

Bike
    None
    Good Info guys. Heard of some plating flakeing after less than 10-15hrs running around ports is there any outfits to stay away from????

Bike
    KTM 200EXC RM250
    I'm sorry, I can't help you with this. I'm trying to think of the guy in Barrys point road that has been rebuilding engines for years who could advise you but the name of his business escapes me. Something like Presicion Engine Rebuilders or something? Someone might chime in. I have not used him since the 80's when cylinders needed boring but he is still around from what I hear.
    Pulled mine apart last night and almost got it back togeather with a Wiseco Prolite piston. The RM is very easy to work on.

Twice the displacement, twice the cost and a decibel problem, I'll pass on the inside brraaaap!!!

Bike
    None
    Yea im putting a wiseco in there (like every other bike I own....)

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    I see your sold on wiseco, but just a blurb from what happened to me. This maybe just a big bore issue, but I went to the expense of getting my cylinder replated, then put a wiseco piston in as I did not like kawasaki nz extortion on a oem one. I had the piston skirts drilled for extra lubrication. Unfortunately the expansion rate was different on a wiseco to standard and it seized cracking one of the port bridges. And yes, I was really careful to warm it up 1st. Like I say, may just effect 500's. suddenly the oem piston did not look so expensive

Bike
    None
    Are you shure it was the Piston??? Not just bad plating ive heard lots of stories about the plating coming unstuck on the port bridges. Where did you get it done? ive never had any trouble and had increased performance over standard.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I'll only ever use US chrome http://www.usnicom.com/, their work has been great & they aren't that expensive. Better to get it done once than pay for 2 cheaper jobs, played that game before, gets boring. They will match it to piston &/or sell you a wiseco.

Actually price is pretty good. Have to mark as 2nd hand for repair & post it, if courier will get screwed up in customs.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    None
    You are not authorized to view this page
    The Web server you are attempting to reach has a list of IP addresses that are not allowed to access the Web site, and the IP address of your browsing computer is on this list.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Contact the Web site administrator if you believe you should be able to view this directory or page.
    HTTP Error 403.6 - Forbidden: IP address of the client has been rejected.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 403.
    Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled About Security, Limiting Access by IP Address, IP Address Access Restrictions, and About Custom Error Messages.

Thats what it says when I try that site WTF????(http://www.usnicom.com/)

Thread Information