View Poll Results: Should this be Public or Invite Only?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Invite only: could be used for registered members only & give an air of ponsy exclusivity

22 66.67%
  • Public: all can join and post, even those who aren't members, never have been and never will be

11 33.33%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The SMC social KB group

Bike
    Too many to count

The SMC social KB group

attention all SMC members (official and honourary alike)

i've taken the initiative with the latest upgrades to the forum and started the official SMC social group

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/group.php

click on our group and join if not already invited

Please remember that this doesnot currently constitute official membership with the club. for that you should PM Squiggles and have a gold coin ready (it's a AUSA legal thing we need to do to get funding)

and no you don't have to be a current uni student to join

UPDATE: 12/06/08

upon the social groups becoming forums, the social group will become fully public to allow our lurking non-registered members to have a squizz along with the rest of KB (and get the numbers up)

hopefully we can keep a sort of "private" area aside from the forum such as what we have now, but until that happens there's not much that can be done

Bike
    RC46 VFR800 in yellow, VTR250, ÜberFXR
    Invite only - ie students, alumni, friends of the SMC and anyone else with a bona fide reason to join - no particular exclusivity entailed, just a necessary connection.

This allows a modicum of control over trolling types just out to make trubs.

Basically, anyone with a good reason to join, can join.

That would make the SMC a quasi-public social group I guess? A microcosm of motorcycling that touches on the tertiary education experience in some way...

Thoughts??

Ross.
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post
    V4! VFR800s sound like some sort of alien rocket-ship coming to probe all of our women and destroy our cities

Bike
    L0 GSXR-R 1000 #87
    this can be the place we post all those illegal pics without worrying !
    Firestarter Racing on facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirestarterRacing

Racing thanks to:

www.fluidcoatings.co.nz
    www.motostyle.co.nz
    MAXIMA racing Oils
    www.projectdigital.co.nz
    METZELER Tires
    New Plymouth Motorcycle Center
    www.topstitch.co.nz/

Bike
    Too many to count
    well currently it's 12 in favour of private and 3 for public

will change it shortly

Bike
    Too many to count
    ok, invite only and users must join to view content

Bike
    L0 GSXR-R 1000 #87
    u better be right about this !! im diggin out some pics...
    Firestarter Racing on facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirestarterRacing

Racing thanks to:

www.fluidcoatings.co.nz
    www.motostyle.co.nz
    MAXIMA racing Oils
    www.projectdigital.co.nz
    METZELER Tires
    New Plymouth Motorcycle Center
    www.topstitch.co.nz/

Bike
    MC19
    Are you going to kick out the guys who joined before you set it to invite only?

Bike
    AX100 "Poppy"
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shingo View Post

Witch hunt, witch hunt! this could be fun... :P
    I bags getting to use the chainsaw.

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education ~ Mark Twain

Vegetarian Motorcyclists Unite

Bike
    Various
    So let me see if I have this right.
    1) You go to a public forum to set up your own little corner of the world.
    2) Being incapable of decision, you need to ask the public if your own little corner of the world should be private or not.
    3) Finally it is decided (by the public) that the he man woman haters club should be private.

And people wonder why there is so little respect for academia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    Phurball's Mountain Bike and CB900
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    So let me see if I have this right.
    1) You go to a public forum to set up your own little corner of the world.
    2) Being incapable of decision, you need to ask the public if your own little corner of the world should be private or not.
    3) Finally it is decided (by the public) that the he man woman haters club should be private.

And people wonder why there is so little respect for academia.
    Putting it into prespective...

1) go to a public forum and provide an area of exclusivity for members who would rather not share all things with general public....not like we arent going to post on general kb just coz we have a members area....

2) for anything to be successful it needs approval and needs to be accepted. what better way to pilot test it than to ask the target audience what they would prefer? doesnt take a genius to figure that out....

3) obviously there will be a massive sampling bias, in that only those with any real benefit would voice their opinion.....joe average isnt going to happen upon this thread and vote because joe average isnt going to care....i voted private because i know that having an area where i can chat with just my mates from the club is beneficial for me.....

so in your request to let you "see if you have it right" i'd personally say you have it horribly HORRIBLY wrong......
    "Rock is dead" - Jim Morrison

Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by bomma View Post
    Putting it into prespective...

1) go to a public forum and provide an area of exclusivity for members who would rather not share all things with general public....not like we arent going to post on general kb just coz we have a members area....

2) for anything to be successful it needs approval and needs to be accepted. what better way to pilot test it than to ask the target audience what they would prefer? doesnt take a genius to figure that out....

3) obviously there will be a massive sampling bias, in that only those with any real benefit would voice their opinion.....joe average isnt going to happen upon this thread and vote because joe average isnt going to care....i voted private because i know that having an area where i can chat with just my mates from the club is beneficial for me.....

so in your request to let you "see if you have it right" i'd personally say you have it horribly HORRIBLY wrong......
    1) Damn, that's got me now, I guess I'll have to attend uni and join the SMC to really get a handle on the big juicy secrets that can't be shared with KB. Really I couldn't care less if you still post in the general areas, It's not like you would be missed or something. In fact, I too voted for you to keep your dribble private in the hopes that you would do so.

2) Hmm. I guess you are right. After all spankme went through a similar process when setting up KB, only it was much harder for him as KB didn't exist to hold his hand during this awkward and uncertain period.

3) It's only Auckland, you can meet and chat you know. Oh wait, that would possibly involve riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    Phurball's Mountain Bike and CB900
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    1) Damn, that's got me now, I guess I'll have to attend uni and join the SMC to really get a handle on the big juicy secrets that can't be shared with KB. Really I couldn't care less if you still post in the general areas, It's not like you would be missed or something. In fact, I too voted for you to keep your dribble private in the hopes that you would do so.

2) Hmm. I guess you are right. After all spankme went through a similar process when setting up KB, only it was much harder for him as KB didn't exist to hold his hand during this awkward and uncertain period.

3) It's only Auckland, you can meet and chat you know. Oh wait, that would possibly involve riding.
    you're acting like we are cheating on you dude....think the first sentence of your signature says it all....didnt need any numbers this time.....

and wait doesnt your third point defeat the whole purpose of kiwibiker??
    "Rock is dead" - Jim Morrison

Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel

Bike
    Too many to count
    1) it's a way to have an "official" count of SMC affiliates, larely so we can keep track of each other and give a PM mailing list for important events that non-registered members may be interested in and may not otherwise hear about

it also gives us a place to have discussion withOUT idiots how claim they don't care to go shit stirring - that includes the safety nazis and people like you (in this case)

2) i posted up in the SMC sub-forum, for ALL to read. basically to get a general opinion of KB with the obvious SMC bias as it really affects them both. why wouldn't i use all the tools available to me?

3) it was decided by ME that in light of overwhelming support for a private group that i will (for now) make it so. was there not such a huge outcome it would have reamined pub lic (for now). was it decided at the friday night chiller that it should be private it probably would've happened. (yes that's right, we DO meet in real life and DO ride when we arent training to support YOU in your retirement.

and people wonder why "academia" set up their own private area as they can't be fucked dealing with arrogant jerks that can't look any further than their tall poppy syndrome prejudices

Bike
    Too many to count
    in light of recent posts, i've finally decided to vote private

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by shingo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanne View Post
    Witch hunt, witch hunt! this could be fun... :P
    hrmm, well there's only two that don't know about, so we'll discuss the witch-hunt within the group

Thread Information