Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GN250 - new or 2nd hand?

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    I thought they stopped making good GN250s in the nineties. When they shifted manufacture to China the build quality suffered. I am aware of some lucky individuals who got GN250s made recently where the chrome didn't spontaneously fall off but they are fewer than the ones complaining about problems.

If you can afford a new GN250 buy a used Volty.

Mind you if I was to do it all again here's my steed of choice:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-123451611.htm
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki SV1000
    New GN 250,s will be getting thin on the ground, apparently they no longer inport them due to headlight non compliance. We just went for a second hand vtr 250 for the wife and love it. Fast enough for open road, much better handling, cost a lot more, but probably stay with it for a few years.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki SV1000
    Quote Originally Posted by -JT- View Post
    My wife and I are just getting our learners, and will be getting a GN250 to build our confidence on a bike and on the road for a few months before upgrading. I'd like to hear your opinions on whether we should get a new or good-2nd-hand GN250 .. and why?

Thanks for any replies

JT
    Are you aware that the licensing reg s are about to change? after Aug u may be able to go up to a low power 650, have a look as there is a thread on this site somewhere.
    We bit the bullet and bought vtr 250 which is great, but intend to keep for a few years, a sensible choice may be to go cheap and see what happens.
    Good luck and happy hunting!

Bike
    Suzuki Boulevard S83.2008
    My wife and I are just getting our learners, and will be getting a GN250 to build our confidence on a bike and on the road for a few months before upgrading. I'd like to hear your opinions on whether we should get a new or good-2nd-hand GN250 .. and why?

Thanks for any replies

JT
    Hey there JT
    Heres my 2 cents worth. I am new to motorbike riding. I bought a LV250 INTRUDER LC. bit pricier than a gn but it's a very nice ride. It has a nice low ride position and for me the inportant thing was that I could sit on it with both feet flat on the deck. Have a lady friend who has one and she loves it. She started of with a gn and traded it for the INTRUDER after a very few weeks.
    I've clocked up 4600Km in 10 weeks. Cant stay off the damb thing.LOL
    ADICTED that's the problem!!

"May the motorcycle god's keep your tyres pumped"

"The shortest distance between any two points on a motorbike, is the long way round"

Bike
    1993 Yamaha SRV
    Quote Originally Posted by McJim View Post
    I thought they stopped making good GN250s in the nineties. When they shifted manufacture to China the build quality suffered. I am aware of some lucky individuals who got GN250s made recently where the chrome didn't spontaneously fall off but they are fewer than the ones complaining about problems.

If you can afford a new GN250 buy a used Volty.

Mind you if I was to do it all again here's my steed of choice:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-123451611.htm
    And there in a nutshell is why the GN is so popular - $3500 for a 25 year old bike.

A GN sprayed all over with Inox Lanox will hold on to it's chrome quite well...
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Back on a 250 and riding more than ever.

Bike
    Its a Boat

Thanks for any replies

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDownUnder View Post
    Go for good 2nd hand. A lot of them are used to start off on, then people quickly grow out of them ... so
    1) There are enough good ones around
    2) You are likely to do the same

They are reliable little beasties... save money - buy a second hand one and you'll probably get most of your money back when it comes time to sell anyway
    Good advice Ned.....
    Heres an oldie...well 87' but a proper one.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-153645689.htm

Bike
    Suzuki Intruder VS750
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=158603262

That's my one for sale. I'll miss it!

Bike
    1998 CB 600F Hornet-Connie, RM125
    Nice choice JT.

I bought mine when I was started riding last year. Simple kinda bike to learn not just riding but some simple mechanics as well. I would suggest checking the voltage while running to save you $250 for new reg/rec!

Not long sold my Chinese 2006 baby for 2800 with a little over 6K on the clock, so I'm sure you'll find a good nick GN out there to suit you both.

Good luck and safe riding

Oh, the trademe ad posted looked like a reasonable deal too, especially with the Givi box.

Thread Information