Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GN250 - new or 2nd hand?

Bike
    Honda Hornet 250, Suzuki VL250 Intruder

Question GN250 - new or 2nd hand?

My wife and I are just getting our learners, and will be getting a GN250 to build our confidence on a bike and on the road for a few months before upgrading. I'd like to hear your opinions on whether we should get a new or good-2nd-hand GN250 .. and why?

Thanks for any replies

JT

Bike
    Honda VFR400 NC30.
    Hey... just go straight for a Yamaha R1 - nothing like learning on one of them...
    Just kidding..

How much you want to spend is the question.
    " yah trick yah "

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Go for good 2nd hand. A lot of them are used to start off on, then people quickly grow out of them ... so
    1) There are enough good ones around
    2) You are likely to do the same

They are reliable little beasties... save money - buy a second hand one and you'll probably get most of your money back when it comes time to sell anyway
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    Happy to spend up to the price of a new one if that's the best way to go. I had seen mention of getting a 2nd hand one so that warranty issues are already dealt with but don't know how much of a factor this should be.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha SRV
    Quote Originally Posted by -JT- View Post
    Happy to spend up to the price of a new one if that's the best way to go. I had seen mention of getting a 2nd hand one so that warranty issues are already dealt with but don't know how much of a factor this should be.

I agree with Mandownunder, good second hand and save yourself some bucks for gear.

When I got my learners I got a brand new one, thinking to save myself the grief of getting one that had been thrashed or what not, but if I was to do it again I'd go for second hand because people don't really thrash GNs, they learn and then move on, some get sick of them really fast and move them on.

The things that go wrong will go wrong anyway, and if it's on your shift it doesn't really matter as most stuff is not covered in the warranty anyway. The speedo drive seizing might be but mine didn't break until after the warranty (about 6000ks).

Second hand ones also quite often have had better tyres put on, as lots of people change them really fast as the stock ones aren't very popular. So look for a second hand one with relatively low ks and different tyres and you'll be laughing. For example if I sold you mine, you'd be getting better/new lightbulbs, a new speedo drive and starter solenoid, and decent tyres.

They are a reliable and friendly learners bike, and a second hand one will be just as good, in my opinion.

Have fun anyway!
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Back on a 250 and riding more than ever.

Bike
    tb
    Dont get a gn 250 at all it is by far the gayest motorcycle known to man i would rather ride a scooter or take the bus get a good 250 like a cbr

Bike
    fatboy 08
    Second hand:

They are tough little buggus (and a fantastic, fun bike to learn on)
    Popular as anything so easy selling
    When you sell them your competing against all other second hand ones (so you will drop more money on a new one than a second hand one)
    You will want to move on, with fond memories, once you have your full licence

and I agree with mandown under and Lucy.

Thats my 2 cents worth.
    Voted most likely to be asked to give an after dinner speach at a bulemic's function

Bike
    Honda VFR400 NC30.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Dont get a gn 250 at all it is by far the gayest motorcycle known to man i would rather ride a scooter or take the bus get a good 250 like a cbr
    haha yup! oh well id ride one at the right price.. hornet to a gn for more than $750 NO!
    " yah trick yah "

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    I think you answered the question yourself. You only want it for a few months before upgrading. How much depreciation is it going to cost on a new one (what value will it drop when you ride it out the door???) and how much price drop for a used one??? For resale after a few months when upgrading its a no brainer

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Theres a nice looking GN250 at the bike shop corner te rapa and garnett

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Theres a nice looking GN250 at the bike shop corner te rapa and garnett

Yeah, that's their rental.

Thanks for your comments guys and gals. We know where to go from here now.

JT

Bike
    BMW R1200s
    Hi JT,

I can vouch for a good used GN over a new one.
    Mine has had zero issues in the time I've owned it.
    Really easy to ride.
    Pricewise the difference will get you a good set of gear and a few tanks of gas.

I've fitted better tyres and kept it fully serviced.

It's now up for sale, $2,300
    2005 with with 11600kms
    PM me if interested

Bike
    Scorpio
    Get a new Scorpio instead.

Bike
    2008,TGB 101S

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Badjelly View Post
    Get a new Scorpio instead.
    Yah!! , Tries this in a different thread and no one bites seriously .

Why do lots of people recommend a GN and just a very very few recommend a Scorpio ?

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    One reason is that the Scorpio is a very recent model. Whereas the GN has been around for many years. So a lot of people have had experience (either thier own or someone known to them) of the latter, only a few of the former. And second Scorpios are still rare.

Either GN or Scorpio is an excellent machine for a learner.

Personally I'd go for a good secondhand. Regard the first bike as an initiation sacrfice to the biker gods., You will probably drop it (I don't mean crash it), and that is less sorrowfull on a machine which already bears battle scars.

Unless you only want the machine for commuting you are unlikely to keep it anyway, so you will not have time to get the goodness out of a new machine.

Once you move on to your restricteds, review your requirments, in the light of experience. You may be surprised how much they have changed. It is easier to switch direction if you have little investment (monetary or emotiuonal) in the machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Thread Information