Thread: 125GP First Time baby! - Kyle Hammond

Bike
    Husky TE310, 2 Buckets and a ZXR250C

125GP First Time baby! - Kyle Hammond

Ladies and Gentleman, the time had came to step up a class to the extremely competitive 125GP class from 150SS. Ive heard time and time before that it is a bit of a step up, or should i rephrase that, a BIG step up.

I fall asleep the night before with thought's/nightmare's of riding a high speed mini moto the next day.
    Ive only sat on the bike once or twice and that was a while ago, so i had no idea what i was in for. I'm a relaxed type so i wasn't that worried.

Woke up the very next day, helped unpack and set up the Moto GP pit garage ... Sorry i mean Moto Academy Pit's.
    Today was the opening of this fantastic new venture. (Bloody good work Steve, thanks a million! More info is linked at the bottom).
    After the Official opening of Moto Academy and the riders briefing etc.
    It was time to get down to business. I finally got to sat on the "High speed mini moto" and Hello, it turns out its not what it looks like! With me being a short arse (Thank god, finally something what i have an advantage from being short!), it actually is almost too big for me. Sweet, not worried anymore!.

Didn't go out for Scrub in.

Got in my brand spanking Alpinestar leathers/gloves/boots and Arai helmet and finally i was set too go for my first time on the bike.
    Crash started the baby and warmed her up (was taught before hand how to properly warm the baby up, 6k rev's till she's warm blip it once and a while).
    Rolled on to the dummy grid and got ready to go out for qualifying.
    Rolled out on to the track and rode around for a wee bit below powerband (ahem 10m?), then start opening her up!, Hell bell's theres a wee bit of punch too her!.
    Very Very surreal expirence because its only a 125 man!.
    I Quickly learnt to my advantage that slipping the clutch work's amazingly good - like like really good!
    Messed about a bit got used to the bike and qualified 8th (He he second too last! ) with a lap time slightly slower than what i was doing in 150SS.
    Quite happy with that effort, i went and sat down for a wee while thinking about stuff and getting positive Input from the Moto Academy guys .
    (Cheers!)
    The major difference i noted between the 150's and the 125's was the amount of weight on your arm's. Massive amounts on the 125's!.

Aim for the first race was to relax and learn the bike a wee bit more.

1st Race
    Lined up on the grid having a couple of pointers about starting off the line.
    Got a decent-ish start and managed to get a couple of people off the line.
    Went around one or two round the first corner.
    Race mode took over.
    Started pushing the limit a wee bit, Kept going wide (Must improve on this part! lots!), but kept getting good drives out of the corner's.
    Ended up having a last lap fight with a Sam (Expirenced 125GP Moto Academy rider).
    What was cool as!, was right on him (half a metre?) down the back street but pulled out far too early for the slipstream and got hit by wind!.

Managed to cut 10 seconds instantly off my previous qualifying time (2:02 to 1:52)

2nd Race
    Talked to steve and glen (his old bike) before this race and dropped the forks another 5mm to try aviod running wide.
    Lined up with the aim of slowing down a wee bit too actually learn something instead of just hitting a "brick wall" in my learning.
    Got a shocking start, got my arse kicked by mid pack street stock (Embarrassment!), went around about 5-6 of them around the first corner (Gotta love tyre warmers eh!), picked off the rest of them by the end of the first lap and went after mudboy (fellow first time 125GP rider), who had a 3 second lead on me due to my shocking start! (Excuses *ahem* i know ). Got right up next to him in the 3rd lap. Overtook him on the exit of the sweeper, and got the drive out down the back straight, gave him a cheeky look (works better if you have a clear visor) and wave, went past
    the little man. Who proceeded to do the same thing to me about 3/4 down the straight (Hey what's happening here!). Still had a lap to get him.
    Right behind him over the start finish line. Went inside him on the first corner and never saw him again.
    Was lonely for the rest of the last lap although i was pushing a bit trying to see if i could catch Sam and William. Not a chance they had many corners on me (Never give up tho i reckon!). Caught up to them somewhat too about 8 seconds by the end of the race. However the positive is i made a 2.5 seconds gap from luke in one lap .
    Best Lap was a 1:50:7

Was a bloody good day!

Lots of thanks too!
    Moto Academy / Steve bagshaw for putting together a brillant and very professional Learning outfit (Didn't we look cool?!) and setting up my bike how i liked it and doing everything for me so i could focus on riding like it should be. (I wasn't allowed to take off my own tyre warmers!) .
    AJ for driving me up there.
    Jasmine (Meekey_Mouse) and her family for putting up with me for ANOTHER night - Brillance!
    Moto Academy Boys for giving me tips etc and generally helping out
    (Glen, Sam, Luke)
    Mike - for sharing his 'interesting' stories about life and racing.

Cheers
    -Kyle #13

p.s More info about Moto Academy see this link - http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=72580
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera 086.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	457.3 KB 
ID:	96588  

Bike
    CBR150 Bucket
    Must be a buzz Kyle. It was great to see you fullas out there. Big ups to Dr Bagshaw and crew.

Bike
    GSX650F K9
    Blog Entries
    Way to go Kyle.....

Great reading...

If your looking at Bike Comms, have a read of this review..

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95905

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Yeah very good Kyle - looks like you're coming on nicely with the lap times improving
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    That's a huge improvement in lap times bro - great stuff.
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    HRC HONDA RS125
    Blog Entries
    Yeah i thought the s's i would go quick lol
    S@M #12

Bike
    SW-125R(F4-TF125), ZXRD400, RD250LC
    Blog Entries
    Can you improve that much every round?

Excellent stuff Kyle!

Bike
    2009 DRZ400e
    Awesome report! I think Kyle's gunna be a *watch this space* in racing
    "I'm not going to vacuum 'til Sears makes one you can ride on"
    -Roseanne Barr-

Bike
    2011 yz450f
    Good stuff man
    Blindspott are back as Blacklist check them out
    www.blacklistmusicnz.co.nz

Bike
    Cheer's everyone. Luke improved more than me however! Good on him!
    I started @ 2:02 Ended up with a 1:50:7 Total - 12 Seconds and a bit
    He started with a 2:07 Ended up with a 1:52:XXX Total - 15 Seconds and a bit!!!
    However it was all kinda guessed that this was going to happen as it was our first times on the bike's.

I have decided that i was at fault for running wide most of the time as i was turning in far too late, will aim to improve this next race meet and aim to be smoother.

-Cheers
    Kyle

Bike
    Tojo and nothing. Damnit.
    I didn't realise you were on one of the 125s!!

Holy crap little guy!! Good stuff!!

I'll buy you a full sized beer next time!!

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    blardy awesome stuff Kyle, looking forward to reading about your guys improvements over the season

excellent stuff from moto academy as well, great to see some positive contributions to the younger up & coming riders .. big ups
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    Several
    As much as I missed pissing about in battles with you and AJ it is truly awesome to see you having fun and doing well on the 125.

Another big ups to Mr Bagshaw and the Moto Acedemy!

EDIT: Check out that purdy streetstock in the background of the photo!
    Last edited by koba; 30th May 2008 at 22:41. Reason: comment added
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post
    EDIT: Check out that purdy streetstock in the background of the photo!
    Cheer's man!, there's actually 3 different pictures of that picture, and you see you slowly riding into the pit garage. In sequence

Bike
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by quallman1234 View Post
    Cheer's man!, there's actually 3 different pictures of that picture, and you see you slowly riding into the pit garage. In sequence
    Nice!
    I think I may have pissed a few people off posing in the background just before that!
    Heinz Varieties

Thread Information