Thread: 03/04 zx6r 636 Kawasaki Race ECU

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R

03/04 zx6r 636 Kawasaki Race ECU

Well I have one on the way and apparently they are the shit. After talking to a few and considering the difference between the PCIII vs the Kawasaki Adjustable Race ECU I have decided to bite the bullet and go for the Kawasaki Race ECU.

Its seems fairly hard to find any information on what is required for what bike with regards to adapters/software/cables etc. As I can best work out for my bike I require the Race ECU - The Cable 'PC modual interface' - and I'm not sure about an adapter for the cable to my bike.

What my question is - has anybody gone through this before and could you tell me exactly what is required both equipment wise and installation wise. What HP gain can I expect to see when I dyno it?

Thanks
    Biggles08

Bike
    04 R6
    Read here: http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tunin...T_kit_ecu.html

I would say you'd be lookin' at up to about 10 horses extra?

Bike
    04 R6
    this dyno chart is based on the 06 636, but should give you some indication of what to expect HP gains wise
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dyno_Kawasaki,zx6r,636,slipon,kitECU,red_kitECUtuned%20EC997,blue_slipon_and_stock%20ECU.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	96713  

bugjuice has asked same question today about his zx6r (same year as your bike too)

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?p=1226126

so might pay to query him biggles,

looks like need adapter cable so you can program it up at least

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX750-H1~2 (Pre 89 F1)

Re: Race Kit ECU

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles08 View Post
    Well I have one on the way and apparently they are the shit. After talking to a few and considering the difference between the PCIII vs the Kawasaki Adjustable Race ECU I have decided to bite the bullet and go for the Kawasaki Race ECU.

Its seems fairly hard to find any information on what is required for what bike with regards to adapters/software/cables etc. As I can best work out for my bike I require the Race ECU - The Cable 'PC modual interface' - and I'm not sure about an adapter for the cable to my bike.

What my question is - has anybody gone through this before and could you tell me exactly what is required both equipment wise and installation wise. What HP gain can I expect to see when I dyno it?

Thanks
    Biggles08
    Gidday Biggles,
    You can expect absolutely zip performance gain by fitting the Race Kit ECU - it is not a magic box of electrickery that suddenly turns you engine in to a fire breathing monster...

What it will do is allow you to fine tune your existing set up a whole heap more acurately & over a far broader range than any Power Commander or Teka Box will ever allow...

This combined with other race kit parts like pistons, camshafts etc etc are where you are going to start making power gains...

What you should get with your E.C.U is the unit itself, a harness interconnect lead (goe's between the existing loom & the Race ECU), a communication harnes (ECU to PC) & the all important software disc to make it all talk to one another...

Whats the chassis # of your bike, I may be able to track down part #'s of the leads etc etc you'll need...

Cheers

To finish first - first you must finish... Oh b.t.w, which way doe's Turn 1 go & whats the lap record...

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
    bugjuice has asked same question today about his zx6r (same year as your bike too)

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?p=1226126

so might pay to query him biggles,

looks like need adapter cable so you can program it up at least

LOL...yeah I'm buying one with him from the same supplier so we have been talking.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeliemonsta View Post
    Gidday Biggles,
    You can expect absolutely zip performance gain by fitting the Race Kit ECU - it is not a magic box of electrickery that suddenly turns you engine in to a fire breathing monster...

What it will do is allow you to fine tune your existing set up a whole heap more acurately & over a far broader range than any Power Commander or Teka Box will ever allow...

This combined with other race kit parts like pistons, camshafts etc etc are where you are going to start making power gains...

What you should get with your E.C.U is the unit itself, a harness interconnect lead (goe's between the existing loom & the Race ECU), a communication harnes (ECU to PC) & the all important software disc to make it all talk to one another...

Whats the chassis # of your bike, I may be able to track down part #'s of the leads etc etc you'll need...

Cheers

Hey Wheelie Monster...But I want a fire breathing monster of a bike....hehehehe. I'll get back to you re the chassis no as its over at my mates place at the mo. Thanks for the tips too.

I'll get it dyno'ed after I get the ECU in. The only other mods it will have prior to getting it tuned is a shortie pipe and BMC air filter. I'm hoping for a net gain of 5-10 over stock. We shall see.

Biggles08

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX750-H1~2 (Pre 89 F1)

Re: Race Kit ECU

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles08 View Post
    Hey Wheelie Monster...But I want a fire breathing monster of a bike....hehehehe. I'll get back to you re the chassis no as its over at my mates place at the mo. Thanks for the tips too.

I'll get it dyno'ed after I get the ECU in. The only other mods it will have prior to getting it tuned is a shortie pipe and BMC air filter. I'm hoping for a net gain of 5-10 over stock. We shall see.

Biggles08
    Gidday Biggles,
    Yeah... do that. In all honesty & given the limited nature of the mods you have got planned for the bike I'd stick with a PC III

They are a very good piece of kit, sure the "Race ECU" is the dogs in as far as tunability goe's but I cant but help thinking it would be somewhat "wasted" in your application, not to mention there nearly three times the price of the PC III... (still, its your money )

When it comes time to have it all optimised give Brett Roberts a call on 027 5907-462

Cheers

To finish first - first you must finish... Oh b.t.w, which way doe's Turn 1 go & whats the lap record...

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    If you've been talking to him I guess he's said you need to get hold of the cams from the 05-06 636 which will give you more power... and if you're gonna do that you may as well try and track down a hi-compression head gasket too. Fall in love with ebay...
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeliemonsta View Post
    Gidday Biggles,
    Yeah... do that. In all honesty & given the limited nature of the mods you have got planned for the bike I'd stick with a PC III

They are a very good piece of kit, sure the "Race ECU" is the dogs in as far as tunability goe's but I cant but help thinking it would be somewhat "wasted" in your application, not to mention there nearly three times the price of the PC III... (still, its your money )

When it comes time to have it all optimised give Brett Roberts a call on 027 5907-462

Cheers

Well the Kwaka ECU was actually cheaper than the PCIII at only $190US. We have the wiring loom adapter thingi majiggy already as Bugjuice knows someone with these and they are the expensive bit.

I didn't say I wasn't going to do further mods...just these for the moment.

Put the BMC race filter in tonight and went for a ride on the ATNR...I was half expecting it to be worse than without it (As it hasn't been tuned for the shortie pipe and/or the filter) but Feerk me...it went ballistic!!! My bike must have been running rich prior to putting these on as its running sweet now. Plus it was super cold tonight so that may have had something to do with it.

I'm happy

Thread Information