Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shinko tyres?

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by doug green
    ...Most riders get caught up in all the hype about having the stickiest sports tyres available when their riding really only needs an average sports touring tyre. I cannot get my head around people who spend big bucks on tyres that last 3 to 4000kms if that and rarely use the edges of their tyres, have these people got more money than sense or just buy these tyres so they can wank on to their mates??? I know there are riders out there who use all their tyres and will probably need a sports tyre but believe me you are a minority....

I guess I am one of those riders who rarely uses the edge of my tyres, but when I do need to use the edge I want to know that the tyre will grip like the proverbial 5h!t to a blanket. I have just fitted a Pirelli MTR24 to the rear of my GS1200, replacing a Dunlop D207. The Dunlop on the front still has about 2000 K left on it, then it will also be replaced with a Pirelli.

I just wish that some bike magazine would do an in depth test on various tyres and rate them with respect to grip in the dry and the wet, rate of roll, flexibility, expected distance (for a particular weight and power), puncture resistance etc.

Until then I'll pay the bucks for something I can trust.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by WINJA
    IT WAS AT PUKE RACE TRACK AND I THINK IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING THAT A 180 TYRE WILL ONLY FIT ON A BIKE THAT WILL DO 200 PLUS KMH.SO IT SHOULD NOT HAVE FELL APART
    DID YOU LOOK AT THE TYRE!!!!!!!!

Bike
    SUZUKI TR50 STREET MAGIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez
    DID YOU LOOK AT THE TYRE!!!!!!!!
    WHY WOULD I LOOK AT THE TYRE, I DONT LOOK AT THE SPEED RATING OF ANY TYRE.I JUST PUT THEM ON AND RIDE I DONT EXPECT ANY TYRE TO FALL APART EVER. A SPEED RATING WOULD MEAN FUCK ALL TYRES NEED HORSE POWER RATINGS AS WELL THEN CAUSE MY ZX9 WITH ITS 5 1/2 " RIM WOULD CHEW THAT 180 FUCKER UP AT 100KMH

Bike
    ZR750 Kawasaki
    I've had older Shinko's on a few bikes,always the back wheel for some reason.
    They were never as bad as some folks paint them.
    I found they could break loose under power in the wet (GT750 Suzuki)but they never caused me any undue grief.I'd put them on the XS without a worry and at that price I just might.
    Horses for courses I think.

Bike
    Big Orange KTM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar
    I
    I just wish that some bike magazine would do an in depth test on various tyres and rate them with respect to grip in the dry and the wet, rate of roll, flexibility, expected distance (for a particular weight and power), puncture resistance etc.

Until then I'll pay the bucks for something I can trust.

A couple of years ago a Pommy bike mag did a big tyre comparo with dry grip, wet weather performance, braking distances, speed of turn in and general feel and expected kms. The so called race tyres did not do very well because they did not get up to temperature, the sports / touring tyres did the best. If i remember correctly it was a Bridgestone Bt012 that came out on top.
    Please dont quote me it was a couple of years ago.

Bike
    SUZUKI TR50 STREET MAGIC
    A couple of years ago a Pommy bike mag did a big tyre comparo with dry grip, wet weather performance, braking distances, speed of turn in and general feel and expected kms. The so called race tyres did not do very well because they did not get up to temperature, the sports / touring tyres did the best. If i remember correctly it was a Bridgestone Bt012 that came out on top.
    Please dont quote me it was a couple of years ago.
    YUP THE BRIDGESTONES ARE UNDERATED AS THEY ARE OE TYRES, WHILE OTHER PEOPLE ARE TAKING THEM OFF THERE NEW BIKES A TRACK THEM DOWN AND PUT THEM ON MY BIKE

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by WINJA
    WHY WOULD I LOOK AT THE TYRE, I DONT LOOK AT THE SPEED RATING OF ANY TYRE.H
    Maybe you should.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrat
    I've had older Shinko's on a few bikes,always the back wheel for some reason.
    They were never as bad as some folks paint them.
    I found they could break loose under power in the wet (GT750 Suzuki)but they never caused me any undue grief.I'd put them on the XS without a worry and at that price I just might. Horses for courses I think.
    Certainly. I'll stick to lazers on the front. Mainly because I've been using them for so long without any problems. Bought my first one from Welly M/Cs many many years ago when they had them on special. Was using Contis before that.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Well just done the palmy-wooodville-pongaroa-webber-dannevirke-woodville-palmy loop in the wet and no problems. Oh and thank you Mr Tornado and P. Rubber for excellent rain protection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imag0219.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	6101   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imag0220.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	6102   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imag0222.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	6104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imag0223.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	6105  

Bike
    SUZUKI TR50 STREET MAGIC
    Maybe you should.
    SPEED LIMITS A 100 K ISNT IT

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Most riders get caught up in all the hype about having the stickiest sports tyres available when their riding really only needs an average sports touring tyre. I cannot get my head around people who spend big bucks on tyres that last 3 to 4000kms if that and rarely use the edges of their tyres, have these people got more money than sense or just buy these tyres so they can wank on to their mates???
    Hi, Doug.
    When I had Shinkos on the VFR750, I thought they were OK, but never felt completely comfy on them. I'm not one who usually "goes along with the crowd" so when everyone said the Bridgestones were the bees knees for the VFR, I ignored them, and put Azaros on, despite the 'naysaying' about those. They felt much better than the Shinkos, and I felt more confident on the VFR as a result. However, when those wore out, I figured I'd give the Bridgestones a go, but went BT012F / BT020R, as the tyre tech reckoned they'd be good. The bike was transformed! The handling was unbelievable.

Wank factor? I don't give a stuff. I liked the radical look of the Azaros, but the Bridgestones were absolutely great, and no dearer. Dunno what the Shinkos cost, and I didn't care.

FWIW, I did wear the Azaros from edge to edge, knackered them on my last (only, in fact) day ride around north of D'Auckland. But I'm not a great rider by any means, just felt confident enough on them to use all the tyre.

Yes, the average rider only needs an averagely sticky tyre, but it's not just about 'wank factor' or stickiness. I believe feel and confidence are more important, and I never felt really confident on the Shinkos, not because of the name, but because of the lack of decent feedback and the way the bike felt tipping into corners. And I got the same mileage from them as from the (supposedly more expensive?) Azaros.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    HOT TRX450R (for sale)

Girlies

They're too busy getting there knees down for the girlies I guess .
    Well my girly and I rode to Nelson and back today for the street races. A beautiful day for it weather wise. BUT........ she is still grumbling about how hard the ride is on the shenkos!
    Please I welcome any suggestions. We were running 36psi and 42psi and have dropped this by about 3 pounds. (36 and 42 are bike manufacturers recommendations and were fine with the Pirelli MTR22s) also have softened the suspension (only one click all round) from standard.
    Please help??
    Perhaps I should be happy if this is all she has to moan about.
    BTW I have offered to buy her a new set of tyres for the ZX9R and fit the Shenkos to my CBR600 when my parts eventually turn up so I can warrant it. But she says it was her bad choice. Grrrrrrr. Might at least give her a chance of keeping up!

Bike
    SUZUKI TR50 STREET MAGIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo
    Well my girly and I rode to Nelson and back today for the street races. A beautiful day for it weather wise. BUT........ she is still grumbling about how hard the ride is on the shenkos!
    Please I welcome any suggestions. We were running 36psi and 42psi and have dropped this by about 3 pounds. (36 and 42 are bike manufacturers recommendations and were fine with the Pirelli MTR22s) also have softened the suspension (only one click all round) from standard.
    Please help??
    Perhaps I should be happy if this is all she has to moan about.
    BTW I have offered to buy her a new set of tyres for the ZX9R and fit the Shenkos to my CBR600 when my parts eventually turn up so I can warrant it. But she says it was her bad choice. Grrrrrrr. Might at least give her a chance of keeping up!
    ON THE ZX9 I RAN 36/36 BTW IF YOU HAVE A BLUE C1 IM SELLING MINT FAIRING BITS

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Stevo the whole point of me starting up this thread was to get some real feedback. Which it has done. Hopefully others will find it useful in considering tyre choice. I noticed the maximum pressure stamped on the one I fitted was less than I normally run on the ol girl solo. I ride on a few gravel backroads on this thing too, hence the reason to want to try it out. So far I'm happy with it.

Bike
    Big Orange KTM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo
    BUT........ she is still grumbling about how hard the ride is on the shenkos!
    Please help??

Drop the pressures to approx 38 rear and 34 front, the recommended is way too hard and the tyre won't heat up to a proper operating temp.
    Viv was running the standard pressures on her ZX636 with the original Dunlops and they were crap, steered horribly and were not confidence inspiring, changed to Pirelli Diablos and they are great.
    I used to run Pirelli MTR24 and found it OK but when powering hard out of corners whilst leaned over it usually let go so I needed a more sports type tyre

Everyone here is talking about Shenkos but no-one has said what model tyre they are running. There are some Pirelli's, Bridgestones, Dunlops, Michelins etc that I would not run on my 600 as they are not suitable So which tyres are you all bitching about????

Thread Information