Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shinko tyres?

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport

Shinko tyres?

There seems to be a veiw bad vibes re Shinko here on KB so I've decided to do a "real world" test. I'm fitting a 4.10S18 to my CB550. I don't need anything too sticky, just something that gives good alround performance on back country with occasinal gravel road and around town. There are other more "normal" [read slicks with grooves] profiles but I've choosen the chunkier and cheaper($89) one. Can't be any worst than Hi-Max's can it? You see motocycling does not have to be a fuckImustdowarp4everywhere experience and you don't have to run up a godzillion dollar dept in the process. Also this wet weather we are having lately should be good for proving how good/not good the tyre is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imag0195.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	6009  
    Last edited by Bonez; 30th December 2004 at 12:31. Reason: got my Max's mixed up

Bike
    HOT TRX450R (for sale)
    The Mrs has just fitted Shinkos to the ZX9R and is not too impressed with them thus far. Have adjusted tyre pressures and suspension a little and things have improved. She does not like as much as the Pirellis tho. Had MTR22 tyres on it.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo
    The Mrs has just fitted Shinkos to the ZX9R and is not too impressed with them thus far. Have adjusted tyre pressures and suspension a little and things have improved. She does not like as much as the Pirellis tho. Had MTR22 tyres on it.
    That's what i like to see. "Real" feedback from those using them thanks.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    I had Shinko Podiums on the VFR750 when I bought it. They were OK, but I never really felt confident on them, due to the way they felt in corners. They never let go or anything (apart from one lowside, which wasn't the tyre's fault), just didn't feel that good. I got a year's worth of riding (mostly commuting) out of them, then replaced them with Azaros. Much better. Another year, then I stuck a Bridgestone BT012F and BT020R on. WOW!! Terrific feel, great grip, heaps more confidence.

For what you're talking about, Bonez, the Shinkos would probably be fine. Although the latest Shinkos are supposedly much improved, I wouldn't stick them on a sports bike though. I don't think they're really 'up with the play' as far as race-proven technology goes.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Just fitted it to the spare rim. Went on with little effort using one tire lever and a hand pump to bring up to pressure. Certainly easier to the Yokohama that was fitted previously. Just ordered a new beaing seal from SKF (it's a standard size and I try to aviod Honda inflated prices if I can as much as possible) and will fit the wheel tomorrow.

Bike
    Yes I do
    I put shinkos on my old ZXR750 ... but for a bike that spent 90% of its time commuting it made sense.

I didn't have any real trouble with them... Less ultimate grip than super sports tyres, but when they let go they always did it gradually and you could tell when you got near that point. They lasted well and the wide profile made slow manouvering easy (traffic).

They aren't the latest technology, a lot of the stuff is still made using the Yokohama moulds and techniques they got when Shinko bought out their motorcycle tyre division but the new sportier ones are their own.

For an old GSX I don't think you'll have any issues at all.

Would I put them on my new ZXR ? no, but that wont be a commuter...

Would I put them on the ZZR... Umm, probably not, but that's because it came with Metzlers and when the back wore out WT sold me one cheaply to match the front.

Cheers,

Sedge.

Bike
    Gixxer
    I dont think Ive ever used any worse tyre in the wet than Shinko's.
    My view..
    Absolute rubbish!
    I dont believe in scrimping on tyres.
    I mean they are only the things keeping you on the road, so who needs good grip.
    Motorcycing is not a hobby, It is a way of life!

Missed forever! NEVER FORGOTTEN!!
    LIVE ON MY FRIENDS!

Friends dont let friends ride Hyosungs

Bike
    Yes I do
    You ride in the rain ?... Well, there's your problem

All different kinds of Shinkos remember, and holy carp... none of them should really be on a sports bike...

Yup, a bit squirelly in the wet... bit squirelly at big lean angles... they let you learn to deal with odd behaviour on the edge at less fatal speeds, kind of Huggies pull-ups for sports bikes (ha... spot the parent).

On a CB550 I doubt you'll notice the difference other than the extra cash in your wallet weighing you down... Hah, I sound like a Shinko salesman...

Hi, my name is Sedge and I'm reformed Shinko user... It's been six months since my last Shinko and I'm hoping for a gold star...

Sedge.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Bills
    My view..
    Absolute rubbish!
    I mean they are only the things keeping you on the road, so who needs good grip.
    Having had various "crap" tires fitted the rear of the 550 for 70,000 odd kms not one has let go yet. As I've said earlier not all who ride m/cs need to go at a trillionbilllinkmerhoureverywhere.

Bike
    Gixxer
    Hang on there, I know how to take it easy thankyou very much!
    I consider myself a very mature rider!
    I know exactly when to go slow, and I do know when the time and place is to go faster.
    I have never had any on my bike, Just ridden on them when they are on shop bikes.

LIVE ON MY FRIENDS!

I see no problem in having crap tyres on a bike,and I think Bonez thinks along the same lines as me.....it's KNOWING your tyre is what's important,if you know your tyre,you know everything you need to know.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Hang on there, I know how to take it easy thankyou very much!
    I consider myself a very mature rider!
    I know exactly when to go slow, and I do know when the time and place is to go faster.
    I have never had any on my bike, Just ridden on them when they are on shop bikes.
    Bit of an over reaction ol son.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    I see no problem in having crap tyres on a bike,and I think Bonez thinks along the same lines as me.....it's KNOWING your tyre is what's important,if you know your tyre,you know everything you need to know.
    That's it Motu. ALL HAIL THE TYRE!!!!!!

Bike
    Gixxer
    If you have confidence in your tyres, you can consintrate more on your riding.
    I do know what you mean and do agree.
    But you have to admit... The better the tyre, the more enjoyable the riding will be.

LIVE ON MY FRIENDS!

Bike
    1997 Ducati 600 Supersport
    My view..
    Absolute rubbish!
    FARQ YEAH!!!... my duc had one on the back when I bought it... I rode her home in the rain over Pie Cock... couldnt understand why the bike spent half the trip sideways, considering it was the first ride and i was takin it easy, until I got home and looked at the tyre... friggin shinko!!! now has a Pirelli gts and hasnt been sideways in the wet since... (THANKS )!!!!!

Thread Information