Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Accidents - IMPORTANT change to the Site

Bike
    2018 Ducati Monster 797
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Kendog View Post
    That's fantastic, thanks all involved!!
    One question... what are the site rules around discussion of details that may possibly compromise insurance payouts?? For instance, I may have an accident that wasn't necessarily my fault, is there anything stopping someone who has a grudge against me coming on and saying they saw me doing wheelies when the accident happened, will moderators get rid of shit like that?
    Sweet as, I just found this:
    Fictitious or malicious speculation will be removed without notification and the person who posted the comments will be strongly censured

Bike
    An old slow red one!!
    This is fantastic news - huge thanks to all involved in putting this together and providing clarity and logic to a hugely emotive issue that potentially affects us all in one way or another.

I am not entirely sure which option I will select, but I can be sure that I will be having that discussion very soon.

and / or

Follow me on Facebook

A husband is someone who, after taking the trash out, gives the impression that he just cleaned the whole house.

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian

Thumbs up

this is great MT
    as my wife has been one who got a call from someone just after i was involved in an accident who knew me but not her :ranting: caused all sorts of shit until i was able to ring her about 2hrs later & put her at ease
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R600
    Good call, well done.

Bike
    Loud and hoony
    Nice move

...although if it is ever going to matter to me I suspect I won't care too much.
    It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities. (...such as the word fuck.)

Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. - Joseph Rotblat

Bike
    2005 GSXR750
    Thanks for getting me thinking about this. I'm pretty much the only kber at home, but will discuss and make a choice. Good work, site gods.

Bike
    SLOW ONE
    i am the only kber at home , but my sister comes on here, so great to have the choices, well done all involved
    LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST SO WHEN YOU DIE YOUR FRIENDS DONT HAVE TO LIE AT YOUR FUNERAL

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    Where's the "celebrate good times, come on" option?

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Excellent modification guys. Well thought out and extremely appropriate, given the nature of what is dealt with in these situations.
    Thank you for thinking about this issue and finding a thoughtful, sensible way of giving people a choice of how they'd like it handled.
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    Thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental-Trousers View Post
    And you've still missed the point again about this mate. Nothing is announced on here until after the nearest and dearest know, or the Police have released details. So it's already public (the Police have already made sure the family have been informed before releasing it). KB is not and never should be the place for people to find out their partner/brother/sister/father/mother/etc has died.

However, in many cases people seem to think it is. An example is when one of the Wellington guys dropped his Aprilia on heading up the hill and was shot off to hospital with head injuries (amongst other things). A small number of people thought that everyone should know before anyone knew if his partner or relatives had been told and even directly named the guy despite being told to wait until his partner and family were ready for everyone to know. That's wrong.

I don't see anything anywhere in this that condones the internet clown show being told before the family/partner.
    Deleted my post earlier, as I obviously read it wrong,
    however as discussed with you MT I still dont think its up to the individual involved in the accident to make that call they are dead, its up to the family to advise what they feel is appropriate at the time, on the day, not from a selection of options made previously (possibly years before hand) there should not be a selection of options which offer authority for a Moderator to act on.

KB need not do anything other than delete/control any posts discussing a rider's accident until it is public knowledge ie in the media and the name has been released publicly.
    KB members know how to use their phones and they are able to sought it out themselves if they are desperate enough to find out.
    I just dont agree that KB members need any options on how to handle it, I think this is OTT, I think that this is not the business that KB should be involving itself with.
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I know what you mean mate. However, the way things were meant the Moderators and the site rules just overruled everything. Nobody had a choice. At least this way we are trying to encourage people to talk to their partners/families and get them to have some input. Previously, they didn't have any say, the Moderators/site rules just deleted pretty much everything and then tried to figure out when it was ok to stop deleting things.

Admittedly some people will just tick a box and not discuss anything with their partners. Hopefully though, the vast majority of people actually consider their loved ones opinions on how this part of their lives is handled.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    Thinking
    Ok here is another angle to help you understand my issue with this.

On the well known tragedy I was involved in, there where two deaths and two sets of families involved, knowing both the guys yourself ask yourself which box they would tick?
    I knew them both very very well they would both have easily ticked "anyone can break the news" and thought nothing of it, both would probably not have discussed it with their respective families as neither saw them that often.

So using that case as an example, the news would have come out and the names would be released and discussion would then commence on KB clown crew about the accident, the causes and other various aspects surrounding the event, now the problem is this..........the discussion on this situation would have caused a great deal of problems particulary later in the piece due to the changing and evolving situations the parents found themselves in as facts come out about the incident, in fact the tragic circumstances involved a stupid act which caused the crash, one party was to blame.
    I know for a fact that one of the parents is very cautious about what is now said on the basis of protecting one of the deceaseds .......now that more information has come out about the event.

So if general discussion is authorised by the rider prior to his/her unfortunate death, how then is KB moderator team going to manage it for potential future implications and likely changing moods and emotions of the parents, OR in fact as I have said should KB just keep out of it and let the family make the call, I say again, it is not up to the KB member to make this call, it is up to the family at the time. KB has no business setting up this system
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Funnily enough, that didn't happen all through setting this up. Quite a few people were like yeah I'll tick that one but then after a couple of days they actually changed their minds.

It's been really surprising and very much a relief to see in certain circumstances people do actually act responsibly. Even the most irresponsible and normally thoughtless types have shown that they can be trusted to make a reasoned and thoughtful choice.

After going through this process I don't think either of those 2 would have made such a careless and thoughtless decision. They were both way too caring to not take others into account.

Have a little faith in people mate. They can surprise you when you least expect it.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    Suzuki Boulevard S83.2008
    Being new to bike riding I can see the need for what has been set up and good on you to the moderators.
    When I started riding 3 months ago I came to the realization very quickly that I could come to grief on the road K's from home and apart from my licence ID no one would have the foggiest as to how to get hold of those that need to know. The first thing that I did was load into my phone an emergency number that come up as the first number on my contacts list.
    The next thing was to compile a list of contacts in the order of priority of contact which I printed off and I have it wrapped around my licence in my wallet. I have on the list Who I am. My adress. My phone number. My e-mail
    My next of kin (sister first) She's the one who will have to tell the family.By that I mean my mother.
    Her phone numbers Landline and mobile.
    My son. Name, Location and Phone numbers.
    My daughter. Name location and Phone numbers
    My closest friends. Name, location and phone numbers.
    I figure that if some poor bugger has to scrape me up off the road some place then it's over to me to make things as easy as possible for then to find my people who need to know. The reason for all of the people on the list is simple MULTIPLE CHOICE.
    It took me 5 minutes to make the list cut it to fit and shove it in my wallet. Job done.
    Naturally I hope like hell no body ever gets to see it but shit does happen.

"May the motorcycle god's keep your tyres pumped"

"The shortest distance between any two points on a motorbike, is the long way round"

Bike
    Walking
    Family/friend/media to announce.

When you say Friend, does that mean those I have listed as 'Friends' on my KB Friends and contacts list?

So someone signs on as
    'Racey'sBrother2950' and in his first post says,
    Sorry to say Raceys Dead and won't be contributing to this fine forum anymore.

That may be true, but how are you to know if thats really my brother?
    Seems like a lot of extra work checking up on things your creating for yourselves, so I guess we should just say,

Thank you for your efforts.

Thread Information