Thread: '08 VMCC Rnd 1 Report (DOOHAN Racing)

Bike
    KTM 250exc

'08 VMCC Rnd 1 Report (DOOHAN Racing)

VMCC Round 1 - Winter Series

After a few small issues with the Napier Taupo Road closing for a period the night before Round one Team Doohan Racing arrived at the Track at 7:30am and started unpacking. Sign on all sorted and riders briefing underway we find out that the Race format will be backwards to usual which leaves the Streetstock/125GP Race at the end of the morning Rotation.

Qualifying.

Qualifying went well, I gave the bike 1 1/2 Laps to get some heat in the tires before stepping it up halfway through the second lap to make it count. The bike's grip felt good and i qualified second.

Race 1

For the first time the Vic club decided to start the race off the Lights, and i saw some other riders being taken by surprise. So i watched a few starts of other classes to get an idea of how the light system worked.
    Sitting on the Grid was quite nerve wracking knowing that the months of preparation had come down to whatever happened in the next ten minutes.

Off the line went well and into turn one put me in the lead for Streetstock while also passing some of the slower 125GP riders. I remember thinking to myself "hey i'm actually leading my class " doing my best to hold my lead and line through turn two worked well as a 125 rider fell on turn 3 sliding outwards and away from me slowing some of the traffic on my outside. From here i just did my best to pull whatever gap i could on the riders behind, i followed two of the Moto Academy 125's for a while which helped until they pulled away on the back straight. The bike began to stall momentarily mid corner right when i wanted to get on the power which was a bit of a deterrent, but accelerating a moment earlier somewhat overcame this problem. I missed 6th gear on the straight of the last lap giving the riders behind an opportunity to catch up. Held the Lead and Finished in 1st Place.

Race 2

Off the line Race 2 didn't start so well which set me into 3rd position exiting turn one. the two bikes ahead of me were already entering turn 2 as i was exiting the first turn and pulled quite a gap on the Group i was stuck in. Throughout the race i kept pushing and persevering eventually catching up to the two lead riders in the final turns off of the back straight and may have had the opportunity to gain second place if it were not for a lapped rider adding to the mix. a little disappointing after the big hunt down of the lead bikes but hey thats Racing Finished 3rd.

Overall

Team Doohan Racing stands Second in the Points after Round one and is looking forward to chasing down the lead in the rounds to come. We have a few things to work on and have no concerns with getting the bike running 100% for Round 2.

As a rider i still have quite a way to come, there's still room for improvement both on and off the track as i learn to feel the bike and get it's maximum consistently throughout every race.

BIG Thanks to the Doohan Racing Team, Steve & Mary, Marty, Warrick and Garry & Anna. Your help and support is much appreciated.

Special thanks to FIVESTAR SUZUKI for all their ongoing support.

Bring on Round Two

Paddy Doohan

Bike
    Husky TE310, 2 Buckets and a ZXR250C
    Quote Originally Posted by speights_bud View Post
    passing some of the slower 125GP riders

followed two of the Moto Academy 125's for a while
    Wasn't me muaha!

Nice one paddy! Keep up the good work, too bad im not racing with you this year!

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    Cheers Kyle, well we do get to see each other on the track occasionally :P aye?

Bike
    Several
    Class man!
    One of these days when I am all grown up I home to be as fast as you.... no really!
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    hehe, i've got a way to go yet. What number you racing as?

Bike
    CBR150 Bucket
    Good luck for the season man. That was a good read.

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    good to see you had fun big guy... now loose some weight and you'll go faster!!!

thanks for the help with MY RG.... we wouldn't have got the guy out if it wasn't for your fuel tap and "key"...

thanks HEAPS... you want it back?

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    Quote Originally Posted by ajturbo View Post
    good to see you had fun big guy... now loose some weight and you'll go faster!!!

thanks for the help with MY RG.... we wouldn't have got the guy out if it wasn't for your fuel tap and "key"...

thanks HEAPS... you want it back?
    Cheers, No worries, glad to help. yea i've already lost 7kilo's but maybe a few more would help im still a fat bugger round the middle

As for the fuel tap, if you just bring it, or the one it replaced (not fussed) along to the next meeting then i'll grab it from you then.

Bike
    N/A
    Good read there. You doing well.
    Tis a Yamahahahaha G. Just thrash it like you stole it. Gixxer 4 ever
    It really did look very unloved. Specially as it was next to the R1 that the whole crowd wanted to look at. Gixxer 4 ever

Thread Information