Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: When does a bike become a "classic"?

Bike
    2003,victory custem

whens classic "classic"

my xj650 is a 1984 26yr old was told by lady @ aa that will have to wait four more yrs to be a classic

Bike
    1997 Honda Fireblade, 1975 Suzuki RE5
    I'm sure for Registration it is 40 Years, I have a 75 RE5 and are still paying full rego on it.

And for the record in my eyes it is a classic.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by bladerider97 View Post
    I'm sure for Registration it is 40 Years, I have a 75 RE5 and are still paying full rego on it.

And for the record in my eyes it is a classic.
    Yup, after 40 years it's half-price rego and no continous licencing!

PS: Were you on the inaugral Big River Biker ride??
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    8 Years to go

I did not get to go for a ride as I had to take my kid to the doctor, But I did manage to go down and see them leave. It was good to see so many turn out.
    Do you ride your "Classic" Suzuki much, I have not seen it around town.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by bladerider97 View Post
    I did not get to go for a ride as I had to take my kid to the doctor, But I did manage to go down and see them leave. It was good to see so many turn out.
    Do you ride your "Classic" Suzuki much, I have not seen it around town.

I only rode it for a short while after getting it, the wast-gate on the turbo was stuck open a bit so I decided while getting that sorted I'd do a make-over on the bike.

It's at a mates place in Ch-ch, he's sourcing some parts and getting it road-ready. (hopefully by the coming summer)
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    '76 BMW R90S
    There seems to be a trend to describe anything old as a classic. Some old bikes are just...old. They were crap when they were new, and haven't improved with age. Some old bikes were ok when new, but for one reason or another developed faults later in life which make them less desirable now. Yet others slide under the radar because although they were solid honest machines when new they did nothing to distinguish themselves during their lifespan.

Some bikes now regarded as classics are bikes that were groundbreaking when new in terms of style (eg the first Katana) or engineering (eg RE5). Some are now classics due to their low production numbers (eg CB1100R). Many bikes regarded as classics had a successful racing pedigree (eg GSXR range). Add to that the bikes that had a high purchase cost when new (eg Vincent). Some combined all five (eg MV Agusta 750/Ducati 750SS roundcase). There are many others that had intangible qualities that made them desirable....

We often try to include bikes in the "classic" grouping for the wrong reasons, such as emotional connections ("my grandad/uncle/neighbour had one when i was a kid"), I had one as my first bike, I did a trip around Europe/USA/Asia on one of those, I had one for 20 years and rode it to work every day rain & shine etc. Some bikes have an awful reputation and they generally deserve it (eg Honda Superdream). Others got a bad rap due to early failures that were isolated yet widely publicised (eg Yamaha XZ550).

Wow, I must be bored........

One early sign that marks a bike as a classic is when a model is featured in classic bike magazines and described favourably. Also, when model-specific clubs are formed. Another sign is when a recognised authority writes a book on a particular model, and another sign is when a particular model starts appearing at Classic vehicle auctions. A further sign is rising values for both complete bikes and their parts. Yet another sign is when reproduction parts enter the market.

Bike
    BMW R1200RT
    In case anyone missed it, there's a classic motorcycle auction coming up at Webbs on July 22. The auction is being run in association with AMPS.

http://www.webbs.co.nz/about/default.asp

No catalogue is available yet, but the website says:

Already consigned for the sale is an extremely rare 1915 Ariel VEE Twin (illustrated). This bike, featured in Maureen A. Bull's publication New Zealand's Motor Cycle Heritage, represents the height of Edwardian technology and the beginning of New Zealand's motorcycle history. Another highlight is a classic example of the famous 1963 Harley Davidson Sportser from the first year that renowned designer Willie G. Davidson led the design team. The sale also includes: an exquisite 1974 Ducati GT 750, a 1965 Vespa, 1952 AJS 350, 1969 BSA Bushman, 1967 Yamaha DS6 250, 1980 Yamaha XT500, 2000 Ducati MH900E and an extraordinary 1914 Clyno Vee Twin. Further quality entries are now invited.
    Could be a good opportunity to pick up a classic, or to make some space in your garage.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    I find that older than 15 is considered "Classic", but not in age but in the aspect of "Collectible".
    Some bikes are born classic/collectables eg - GB400/500's, Z1, first VROD, 98 R1, Yoshi GSXR1100, First Busa, Triumph Thruxton, Guzzi Le Mans, Katana......aka "Cult Classic".
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX View Post
    Desomdeci for example, the first GP bike for the street!
    I beg your pardon, there were a few before it.......
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    I beg your pardon, there were a few before it.......
    Yes my father in law just sold his 84 RG500, that was a GP bike at the time.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Hmm ... maybe I should keep the 78 Z650 I have for sale. Along with my 82 DR500. Hmm.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Thread Information