Thread: Holy Toledo, 20,000km in 9 mths

Bike
    2000 Honda CBR600F4, RG50/GL145 Bucket

Holy Toledo, 20,000km in 9 mths

I know this doesn't come near the feats of GiJoe but I got a shock when I did the numbers tonight and saw that I'd done 20,857km since owning my 2000 CBR600 F4 carbed model. It's a year and 2 days since I bought it. It spent 3 months not being ridden after my bin on the Takas 2 weeks after I got it.

I was reflecting on that year ....
    - I've not been north of Auckualofa, I've not been south of Welly, not been west of Hawera nor east of Napier.
    - There's been a couple of track days, a big bin and a one-day 1,000km ride and more than 8x800+km weekend rides
    - It's drunk 1,133 litres of fuel at a cost of $2,063 for an average of $1.874 per litre
    - It's averaged 5.36l/100k, 18.66km/l or 52.7mpg
    - Using the known consumption I now know for sure that of the 17.5 litres useable fuel from the 18l tank, I will go 280.0kms on main and 56.0 kms on reserve and will be pushing it after a total of 336.0
    - 61.4% of the time it has run on 95 octane, 38.6% on 98.
    - Using 98 where available has saved me $16.33 over the year due to more efficient combustion as well as the benefits of better running and cleaner burning.

So, my questions are ...
    a) How do I make all that add up to the correct answer of 42? ...
    b) Why have I done all this and completely stuffed the resale value of my bike? ...and...
    c) Should I get out more?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grub View Post
    So, my questions are ...
    b) Why have I done all this and completely stuffed the resale value of my bike? ...and...
    a) give it to a gubbermint official, they'll make it add to anything you want
    b) whats new... we all do that
    c) no... just find a hobby we won't laugh at...

I'd probably do 2k per month easy, 1200-1500 per month on commuting/work, and it only takes one coro ride to go past 2k.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    -
    How are you storing your information?

Since around the beginning of the year I've been using a little MySQL database I put together, interfaced with a command-line client. Meant to write something in Java for my mobile phone so I could temporarily store fill-up information when I'm away for a while (then sync it back up via USB or over GPRS or something) but I never got around to it and have been scribbling on the back of EFTPOS receipts in the mean time.

Generates pretty graphs like this;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mileage.gif 
Views:	28 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	97388  

Bike
    F-18,Ginny and #66
    Blog Entries
    Geeeks ...
    Don't Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly !!!

Hey Alan, Alan, Alan....

Bike
    GSX650F K9
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTO View Post
    Geeeks ...
    Motorcycling ones at that....

Nothing except the answer to life will add up to 42, you know this, so why argue....:

Handy facts and figures to know. Kinda wish I had kept a fuel record, I kept a km log for a little while, but then it went by the way side....

And the answer to ( C ) is Yes....So when's the next ride..hmmmmm..?

.....There's that twisting of the arm finding any reason to ride thingymabob again............
    If your looking at Bike Comms, have a read of this review..

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95905

Bike
    resale value?? who you kidding . . . ride it 'til it breaks, then buy another one
    It is what it is

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    So, my questions are ...
    Way to go, Grub! Right, I'll try to help to answer your questions:
    a) Yes

b)Because you are an habitual motorcyclist, for which there is no known cure

c) Should you get out (on your bike) more?... my oath!
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    2007 CB900
    ....So, my questions are ...
    ok ... some call them geeks I call them anal ... so my answers to your questions are:

a - I make it 42
    b - why do people focus on resale ... its irrelevant if you like the bike and like riding it do so ... if you don't ... sell it on
    c - sometimes

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    yeah I was shocked to see 9,000km appear out of nowhere in just a few months..

DB
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    A few
    So, my questions are ...
    a) Who cares
    b) Ditto
    c) Pick me up on ya way north !
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    fatboy 08
    Answers
    a) I looked and the answer came to 42. Please recalculate and keep doing so until you get 42 as the answer.
    b) Your brought your bike with resale value in mind (not that i believe that)? Why? you brought your bike, you ride your bike, you only need to think resale when you no longer want your bike, at which stage the market and your desire to sell more determines price. While you want your bike the resale price is irrelevant and if your worried about resale I'd more question your desire to ride. So forget it.
    c) Oh i think you get out quite enough thank you. In fact, if anything, and referring to question b). Go ride more in the weekends and totally stuff any possible resale and therefore eliminating those worries from your mind.

Can i get change on my 2 cents worth?
    Voted most likely to be asked to give an after dinner speach at a bulemic's function

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post
    How are you storing your information? Since around the beginning of the year I've been using a little MySQL database ;
    Mine is in a very vanilla spreadsheet - which as a database consultant I am almost ashamed to admit to. My previous phone had Windows Pocket 4 in it so I could add directly to the spreadsheet. Access wasn't available. That phone's gone in favour of a bluetooth one that talks to my helmet so now I'd rather be riding than spend time converting the spreadsheet to a database and it's back to scribbling mileages on receipts.

The side benefit of keeping this log is that I add details of where I've been and who with between each fill. I also note suspension settings and how I think they have affected the handling. It's kind on nice to go back and read that sometimes

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    resale value?? who you kidding . . . ride it 'til it breaks, then buy another one
    Yup, that too. That's why I only spent $6,750 on the bike and will try and keep my capital commitment to around that level in future. If I'd spent $30,000 on a bike I wouldn't have had any more fun, comfort or pleasure than I am having now - and it's cost me a shit load less in insurance, maintenance and fuel.

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    I wholeheartedly give my unabashed and fulsome praise to your endeavours sirrah!

Verily, it gladdens my heart to hear of the stirring tales of riding-do that others partake in. 'Twixt the humdrum patina of lackadaisical pursuance of a daily crust, we deign to reign to ride our steeds of two wheeled freedom!

For thou to vouchsafe your own tender statistics to the degustation of like minded peers and the company of those who understand such predilections, we give three cheers sirrah!

May your breeks reek, fill your boots and long may your conceptual spermatoza of independence be given full strength to pull along all others in its clarion call to ride!

Nonplussed we eschew the mendacity of the majority to mitigate the mirth we enjoy, you promulgate and stir the depths of our biking hearts with the touch of greatness, nay, I durst dare say - you are our metaphorical comet that strikes from the heavens to tear asunder the common clay and expose that rare vein of preciousness that percolates in our biking souls.

More power to thine riding sirrah! Let your wheels be treaded, may you not want for petrol, oil and lubricants. May your roads be twisty, free from those devious imps of mischief, may your weather be glorious, and long may your cherished memories of epochal and epic rides retain their warmth as your body becomes infirmed with the tolling of time.

Ride on sirrah, ride on!
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post

It's a honda it will never die, hes screwed.

Thread Information