Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Risky kids!

Bike
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Yup. Little Miss 19 months old often demands a ride now. Sits on the tank holding the handlebars while surrounded by my arms and goes "weeeee" as we take off down the drive.
    (Yes, no helmets and it does appear to be on the road but it's really just off the end of our driveway at the end of our quiet cul-de-sac. Managed risk I tells ya)

Pulls up a chair
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    Triumph Sprint St 07, G650gs BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingbrick View Post
    I vote for having the x wife assisinated.
    You have made my day! My thoughts exactly!

Bike
    Yamaha FZ1S
    Quote Originally Posted by raftn View Post
    but now i have found that i am getting grief from the x wife about all the dangers..blah blah blah, It doesnt help that she is a nurse, and gets to see all the graphic pictures of accidents etc.....I have found in general that the rides i have taken the kids on have been very enjoyable, when we stop and chat and talk like best friends, and is something we enjoy doing together, and they get quality one on one time with Dad.(well when we stop they do) So what are other peoples view on this?
    Your EX WIFE gives you grief. That's unique!. Key words, EX WIFE. Have fun with your kids, and let the EX WIFE worry about whatever the hell she wants. Be safe, teach them well, be their dad and enjoy them while they are young, as they grow up waaaay too fast.
    I used to take my kids on the back of my bikes when they were little; starting at 6 and 8 years old. I had a strap made so that my daughter wouldn't fall asleep and fall off. They were so relaxed on the bikes, and they loved all aspects of the ride, just like we do; the thrill of acceleration, the scary times, the boring times, the food, they loved it all. They have grown up with the best memories of having great, quality time with their dad, and I have great memories of them as well.
    Keep doing what you are doing! Sounds like you are a good father for questioning what you are doing...
    Ride, eat, sleep, repeat!

Bike
    750 auw
    Oh i didn't read that it was your EX wife.

Fuck her do what you think is right

Bike
    1980 Suzuki GS1000 and 1983 Suzuki GR650
    Quote Originally Posted by raftn View Post
    So tell me what do people think about taking thie kids for a ride on the back of there bikes. my two are 10 and 8 and are nuts about bikes, always nagging me for a ride. I have purchased protective gear for them icluding correct fitting helmet, gloves boots jackets etc.....and i am utmost carefull when i take them for a ride, but now i have found that i am getting grief from the x wife about all the dangers..blah blah blah, It doesnt help that she is a nurse, and gets to see all the graphic pictures of accidents etc.....I have found in general that the rides i have taken the kids on have been very enjoyable, when we stop and chat and talk like best friends, and is something we enjoy doing together, and they get quality one on one time with Dad.(well when we stop they do) So what are other peoples view on this?
    ex's, hate the kids coming home so excited about what they did with the other parent which I supose puts them on the auto defencive. Take them riding if they love it.
    Boys can't ride broken toys.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Take my two girls 3 1/2 & 5 1/2on my bike at the same time - one on the tank & older one behind. They both love it to bits when we go down the long driveway to the letterbox or dairy. Have taken older one on ulysses toy run & she really loved it. - my mate was following said with all the waving there wasn't a lot of holding on going on - luckily I was only going 20kph.

They really enjoy the wind in their faces & giggle when I give it a little acceleration ( I said little)

I hope to be riding with my girls when they are old enough to get their licenses

Bike
    BLANK
    I take my boy, 11yrs old on the bike to rugby most weekends. I remember my old man taking me on a bike once in my entire life and wish it had been more, so kind of making up for lost time with my own boy. My two younger boys 7 and 6 want to go on it but too small at present. Have picked my eldest up from school a few times and he gets all the oohs and aahs from the other kids, he knows it cool as hell.

My two younger boys have been on a old trail bike with me at local empty lot but nowhere else. Would love to have the pingas to get them some trail bikes to ride but alas the money tree is still not sprouting.

Ive told all my kids, once youre 15 youre getting a bike, then they can ride to school, and rugby trainings and part time jobs - sounds like freedom to both them and me.

Bike
    Black Thunder
    Raftn, your time with YOUR kids is YOUR time! Tell her to p*ss off and stop interfering when it's her time out.. I'm sure from having met you and from what you have said that you would be very responsible! She needs to get a life...
    A dream without a plan is just a wish!

Make it happen....

....DREAM+PLAN+ACTION=GOAL/TARGET

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BiK3RChiK View Post
    Raftn, your time with YOUR kids is YOUR time! Tell her to p*ss off and stop interfering when it's her time out.. I'm sure from having met you and from what you have said that you would be very responsible! She needs to get a life...
    ABSOFUCKINLUTELY...

Might be worth pointing out that you consider the time on the bike less damaging to their health than the time they spend with their mother!!! (let's not get into mother in laws... EEEEEK!!!!)
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    Whatever I beg/borrow
    When I am able to get my 6 year old some gears, he'll be coming on small rides with me.

Also means I will be able to drop him at school in the mornings on the bike, instead of having to bloody drive every day.

I have sufficient trust in myself as both a rider and a father, to ride with the skill necessary to prevent any harm coming to my most precious child.
    At the 2007 Westpac Ride:

Donor: So ya glad you're a Biker?

Minnie: F**k yeah!

Bike
    Honda PC800
    As you can see in my profile pic i've been carrying baby bikie most of his life on a bike.
    Never had a drama.
    If you look back at old threads you'll see the same question answered.

Thing is I figured ok this is a dangerous decision Im making --so how can I make it as safe as possible.
    Baby bike wears gloves, a kids sized helmet,leather jacket a back/chest protector,MX boots and ski pants.

When he was younger He had BMX gloves,a kids MX lid (replaced with a shoei youth full face) A ski jacket ,pants and gumboots
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    sv1000k7 & crf450r
    I started picking my son up from knidy on the back of the bike when he was 4yo. He had his own helmet and was racing his own crf50 in the mini MX class by then.

Got stopped by a cop once to tell me he should be in an "approved safety device". I left the cop standing on the side of the road when he could not tell me what one of them was!!!

Best thing you can do is get them on bikes early to learn how to behave on them.

Bike
    Triumph Sprint St 07, G650gs BMW
    Thanx to all that offerd your pearls of wisdom.....it s nice to know that i am not alone on this one. i will continue to take my kids on my bike, regardless of the x missis. The time i spend with them is precious. Safe riding all.

Bike
    GSX-R 750 Y
    Do what the fu*k you want, theyr'e your kids too. My folks had the EXACT same argument and were also seperated, and quite often I was in the middle of it (no bullshit councelling needed here!...twitch.. twitch) but my oldman would just take me out anyway (just a helmet and sometimes no shoes!) and i'm really grateful that he did, I loved spending time with the oldman and I'd have to say just go for it.
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jamside down.
    A cat glued to some jam toast will hover in quantum indecision

Curiosity was framed; ignorance killed the cat

Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
    Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never seen before.

Bike
    An old one, some new one's !

young pillions

I get asked by friends kids for rides and my standard answer is : If you can see over my shoulder whilst we are sitting on the bike, then yes I'll take you for a ride"
    I've found it easier when they can see whats happening
    my $0.02 worth

Thread Information