Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SHARP helmet ratings released

Bike
    1998 Black Ducati 916
    I am trying not to feel gutted about my Shoei - I read the test methodology and I wish I knew how they calculated the star rating results. I wonder if our govt would like to sponsor some tests... they give money away for some obscure reasons... and helmet tests would be a good cause. I'll call Harry.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Arai is shit.

My HJC is not bad.

Maybe a Shark next time I feel.

Always love the 'which helmet' threads!

Bike
    2009 DRZ400e
    Whoah! My Arai is only a 3
    "I'm not going to vacuum 'til Sears makes one you can ride on"
    -Roseanne Barr-

Bike
    all sorts
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingbrick View Post
    PWNED.
    roffle

He who makes a beast out of himself
    Gets rid of the pain of being a man

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I would like to know why one helmet is a 2, but another is a 5 - what is the criteria for the scores?
    My thoughts precisely. I look forward to seeing their response, if you get one.

On another note, it was a bit of a shock to see that my XR-1000 only got 3 stars!

It's difficult to know how to interpret that without more information about the testing, though, so here's hoping we get some enlightenment.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Where do Shoei show the model designation of their helmets? I have one and can't find which model it is....the book says nothing - must be on the helmet somewhere???

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Where do Shoei show the model designation of their helmets? I have one and can't find which model it is....the book says nothing - must be on the helmet somewhere???
    If you bought it within the last few years and it's therefore one of the three current models, just check the shape of the forehead and chin guard air vents and the vent area on the back.

Raid II

XR-1000

X-Spirit

And if you bought it before Shoei released their current three-model range, it's old enough to need replacing!
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    If you bought it within the last few years and it's therefore one of the three current models, just check the shape of the forehead and chin guard air vents and the vent area on the back.

And if you bought it before Shoei released their current three-model range, it's old enough to need replacing!
    Bought it in March this year...will check shapes when I get home....looks like a Raid II from here....thanks for the reply.....

Bike
    750 auw
    I'd be interested to know the SNELL / DOT status of the top rating lids......

Bike
    00 Gixxer 750 and ZX10 tricycle
    Couldnt find the AC-10 HJC I have but going by the others it looks pretty average... (Note to self: do not hit head on brick wall or any other solid object with said helmet)
    Built for speed, not for comfort

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yes that's very nice to be able to put a number to measure something. Like those bike tests where they score numbers & come up with a numerical winner.

Except here there is no explanation of the methodology as you say, (as in bike tests, it can weight tests equivalently & they may do well on some things but hopelessly on others, which ones really mattered most?).

But my main concern is there are many different theories about what safety tests are most applicable. Snell & DOT are quite different apparently. Some test regimes favour things like double impact. But to pass such a test you can compromise other results.

So which is best? I have no clue, I'm not even a pretend expert, but there will inevitably be some trade-off compromises & depending on what research you have done you may tailor your design to meet those requirements.

So who is to say that this rating is based on the 'correct' test regime that would reduce head injury.

So while is is all very nice to put a number to things I still have the suspicion that it smacks of a bureaucratic approach to a stated problem. The statement that 50 or so riders may not have died tends to imply that they were wearing helmets that didn't protect them in those particular accidents they were involved in & that they wouldn't have died from other injuries.

My understanding is that motorcyclists are quite somewhat less represented in head trauma than car drivers in fatal accidents (as they wear no protection), but of course heavily over represented in other life threatening injuries.

oh well.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2008 Ninja 250r
    So, now reading this the day after i paid 6 hundy for an xr1000 shoei helmet, i see it only has 3 stars when a shark helmet at 1/3 of the price has 4 or 5 stars. So the question is, what makes shoei the best helmets in the world? (A phrase ALL the bike shops use). Was I stupid paying 6 hundy? even the cheaper raid 2 has 4 stars...

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by iangee View Post
    So, now reading this the day after i paid 6 hundy for an xr1000 shoei helmet, i see it only has 3 stars when a shark helmet at 1/3 of the price has 4 or 5 stars. So the question is, what makes shoei the best helmets in the world? (A phrase ALL the bike shops use). Was I stupid paying 6 hundy? even the cheaper raid 2 has 4 stars...
    the price isnt directly related to the "smackyourheadabilty" of a helmet, for instance, a 5 star rated helmet that weighed 8 kilos, was uncomfortable, and had poor visilbility, would be a bad choice over a nice weighted, comfortable 3 star helmet with excellent visibility.

Bike
    2009 DRZ400e
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    the price isnt directly related to the "smackyourheadabilty" of a helmet, for instance, a 5 star rated helmet that weighed 8 kilos, was uncomfortable, and had poor visilbility, would be a bad choice over a nice weighted, comfortable 3 star helmet with excellent visibility.
    Yeah... I think that's mostly what I payed for with my Arai... My helmet is 1,320 grams, has really good visibility and fitted me the best out of all the helmets I tried. I get claustrophobic easily in some helmets but I don't in mine
    "I'm not going to vacuum 'til Sears makes one you can ride on"
    -Roseanne Barr-

Bike
    750 auw
    Kind of backs up my suspicions that Arai's and Shoei's cost more for the comfort factor than safety.

but man my lid is plush.

and one could easily argue that better comfort = better safety.

Thread Information