Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you get off a speeding ticket for incorrect information?

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by MGST View Post
    got back a letter saying that a ticket ( Infringement notice ) is not a legal document and therefore doesn't have to be correct.
    Correct, but the computer printed one IS and it must be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    And if they bother to check the guys name, any vehicle he has and see one with the same colour/make/model as the one stopped and a plate with a similar number plate they will figure it out.....
    Sure, but its too late then, isn't it mr scumdog ? They cannot use arbitrary details about some guesses they found on their computer system can they mr scumdog? Nooooo they cant

DB
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    Correct, but the computer printed one IS and it must be correct.

Sure, but its too late then, isn't it mr scumdog ? They cannot use arbitrary details about some guesses they found on their computer system can they mr scumdog? Nooooo they cant

DB

Ooh shit - me bad, I guess I was lucky with the 30-40 or whatever I've done just that with eh? eh?

(How did you think I knew what to do?)

Of course after the 28 day thing I have no idea what happens...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Ducati 749 & Zx6rr
    Cheers Peeps, It is a company car so all is legit with it but how he got the number plate wrong I dont know first 3 are right but last 3 digits are completely out there like pick numbers off the top of your head type. I think I might go too the post office and find out if a car is registerd to the plate he wrote down and send that in aswell if it is from somewhere I was not it will make it fairly obvious it is wrong.
    To be old and wise first you must be young and stupid

Bike
    2003 Tuono
    I hope this doesn't hijack your thread but I got a ticket with the wrong house number (we are 35, they wrote 34 but there is no 34 in our street).

So what I wanted to know is should I keep my hopes up that a reminder won't come or will the computer just use my license number etc?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    somewhere in the summary proceeding act it says 'an offence shall not be nulled because of want of form' or something like that.

however, i'd wait the 28 days, then point out the error. 'i have received a reminder notice for an alleged offence on t/d/p driving vehicle registration ABC123. i have never driven a vehicle with this registration number, and accordingly seek the matter to be withdrawn' or words to that effect.

let us know how you get on.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    wot marty sed

DB
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Your explanation that you were only speeding because you had passed a vehicle is effectively a confession.

The law doesnt care WHY.

You have admitted the offence, so you will end up paying the ticket.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    Ducati 749 & Zx6rr
    Quote Originally Posted by davereid View Post
    Your explanation that you were only speeding because you had passed a vehicle is effectively a confession.

The law doesnt care WHY.

You have admitted the offence, so you will end up paying the ticket.
    Yes I understand that I was over the speed limit, however in my eyes trying to pass a vehicle travelling at 85/90 kph at 100 kph and spending god knows how long on the wrong side of the road while doing so is alot more of a risk to other road users than passing at 120kph and getting the manouvre completed quickly and effectively.
    If I get speeding on my bike I will put my hand up and take the . But I travel between 800 & 1200 km a week in my car so the risk of having a speed related accident/ a ticket are quite high. For that reason I make a concerted effort to control the right foot. I get passed by more vehicles than I could count travelling at 110+ kph and I suppose I feel a bit singled out on this occasion. If I had been intentionally travelling at that speed constantly then I would pay with no issue.
    To be old and wise first you must be young and stupid

Bike
    none for now
    Maybe if he read your plate wrong he read the radar gun wrong as well...? Did you admit that you were speeding?

I saw a case in the paper where someone got off on this basis however the policeman had gotten lots of stuff wrong on the ticket - Wrong road, time of day, type of vehicle etc.

Bike
    GSX R1000 K7
    Don`t they realise that you will most likely exceed the bloody speed limit during a passing manoeuvre??????????
    Otherwise it would take you like forever to pass...in the interests of safety... common sense... reality even...
    Let the good times roll

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville & Street Triple
    I once got a ticket with the wrong date,knowing if I wrote in I would more than likly get sent a corrected one So I pleaded not guilty,went to Court and asked for the case to be dismissed .The Judge asked why I hadn't notified the Police of the mistake,I acted dumb,said i wasn't sure of what to do.The case was dismissed and I walk free

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by timetoride View Post
    If I had been intentionally travelling at that speed constantly then I would pay with no issue.
    goody-goody!! goody-goody!! goody-goody!! goody-goody!! goody-goody!! goody-goody!! goody-goody!! goody-goody!! goody-goody!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth51 View Post
    I once got a ticket with the wrong date,knowing if I wrote in I would more than likly get sent a corrected one So I pleaded not guilty,went to Court and asked for the case to be dismissed .The Judge asked why I hadn't notified the Police of the mistake,I acted dumb,said i wasn't sure of what to do.The case was dismissed and I walk free
    BWAAAAAHAHAHA. Nice!

Why do cops like egg on their face in front of the judge ? :slap:

I've created a new group. - GettinOrfScottFree just for this sorta stuff.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/group.php?groupid=55

DB

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    He'll have YOUR licence No. on the ticket ??? It was you...doesn't matter what you were driving...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post

Why do cops like egg on their face in front of the judge ? :slap:

DB
    If you think 'egg on their face' for messing up a ticket is a real worry to cops them you're sadly mistaken.

I would be more worried if I forgot to bring my can-holder to a bike rally...it's waay more important....or if the tassles on my jacket didn't sit right...priorities man, priorities!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Rocket Surgery, Teutonic Tourer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timetoride View Post
    however in my eyes trying to pass a vehicle travelling at 85/90 kph at 100 kph and spending god knows how long on the wrong side of the road
    Additionally, you can't pass about 50% of these kinds of vehicles on passing lanes because roughly that proportion of 85km/h muppets speed up to 100km/h (or more) on passing lanes. And then immediately slow down again once the opportunity to overtake as vanished.

I don't believe that this is because they're malicious. I believe it's because they're completely fucking incompetent, and don't consciously drive their cars. They instead react unconsciously to environmental clues like the width of the road and the presence of other cars ahead and behind them, and the lizard-brain controls their driving response without giving the conscious mind a look-in.

On NZ roads these people are (a) everpresent and (b) a complete fucking menace and their behaviour should be grounds for some kind of corporal punishment, let alone a valid courtroom defense for overtaking them at brisker than legal speeds.

Of course, expecting common sense about speed and overtaking to suddenly break out in some parts of the traffic policy establishment might be a tad optimistic. Don't wait up.

Thread Information