Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you get off a speeding ticket for incorrect information?

Bike
    1986 GSX400E
    I had this exact thing in the past. Dont pay for it!

They will get back to the cop shop, try and enter your ticket into the system, find that the rego plate written is for a Tractor in Gore and doesnt match your vehicle make or colour listed, so it will become invalid and disappear.

After that go and buy a lotto ticket cos u just a lucky break!

Bike
    "Grim Reaper"
    Quote Originally Posted by crashalots View Post
    I had this exact thing in the past. Dont pay for it!

They will get back to the cop shop, try and enter your ticket into the system, find that the rego plate written is for a Tractor in Gore
    leave my trrrractorrr out of this
    I've learnt to hide the pain inside, open the throttle and ride away.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Quote Originally Posted by timetoride View Post
    Yes I understand that I was over the speed limit, however in my eyes trying to pass a vehicle travelling at 85/90 kph at 100 kph and spending god knows how long on the wrong side of the road while doing so is alot more of a risk to other road users than passing at 120kph and getting the manouvre completed quickly and effectively.
    If I get speeding on my bike I will put my hand up and take the . But I travel between 800 & 1200 km a week in my car so the risk of having a speed related accident/ a ticket are quite high. For that reason I make a concerted effort to control the right foot. I get passed by more vehicles than I could count travelling at 110+ kph and I suppose I feel a bit singled out on this occasion. If I had been intentionally travelling at that speed constantly then I would pay with no issue.
    You are completely correct !

The law is a complete arse in this regard.
    And so is any cop who gives you a ticket in this situation.

But you have admitted the offence. The police have your explanation on record, and WILL quote you in court if it goes there.

- They don't need to know what vehicle you were in anymore.
    - They don't need to show the radar gun was working.
    - They don't need to show the cop knew how to use it, cos you confessed.

Interestingly, it would appear that the radar was being used with multiple vehicles in the beam. It can't really work in this mode, at least its operation in this mode is regularly rejected by the courts.

The policeman was using his experience and judgement to ping YOU as the speeding driver, even though all the radar was saying was "someone is speeding, but I don't know who"

Had you just politely said "fuck off you moron, heres my licence, now I'm off, post me the ticket" (or word to that effect !) you may have had a good chance of defending this ticket.

Having said "yeah I was speeding but the law is stupid" you have diminished you chances of a good defence.

Nonetheless, cops are pragmatic. Its a small ticket. It may not be worth prosecuting. The cop may leave the force, die of donuts, or lose the file.

Good luck !
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by davereid View Post
    But you have admitted the offence. The police have your explanation on record, and WILL quote you in court if it goes there.
    baaahahaa davereid is correct !! I missed this. You might deny you said this but I don't know it will help you.

Quote Originally Posted by davereid View Post
    The policeman was using his experience and judgement to ping YOU as the speeding driver, even though all the radar was saying was "someone is speeding, but I don't know who"
    I find it disgusting that the police stoop to social engineering to get their case. If someone has broken the law then just act as an informant like they are supposed to do, instead of using every trick up their sleeve. It's like it's something personal to them.

If they ask "any reason for the speed?" then dont answer. just look at them and blink. You do NOT have to discuss things with them. Think long and carefully before you say a word, and remember they are experts at it. You MUST give them your contact details so they can identify you. If in doubt, ask the officer "under what section of the law must you discuss that with them?", or explain that you prefer not to have this conversation with them. If they say "its their policy to do blah blah, then explain that you are happy to comply with the law but you are uninterested in their "policy."

DB
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Merida
    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post

I don't believe that this is because they're malicious. I believe it's because they're completely fucking incompetent, and don't consciously drive their cars. They instead react unconsciously to environmental clues like the width of the road and the presence of other cars ahead and behind them, and the lizard-brain controls their driving response without giving the conscious mind a look-in.

On NZ roads these people are (a) everpresent and (b) a complete fucking menace and their behaviour should be grounds for some kind of corporal punishment, let alone a valid courtroom defense for overtaking them at brisker than legal speeds.

Of course, expecting common sense about speed and overtaking to suddenly break out in some parts of the traffic policy establishment might be a tad optimistic. Don't wait up.
    Too true. There are the lizard brains, and then there are those who speed up to prevent you from overtaking. Of course the police could care less and they will not grant you any leeway for speeding if you are overtaking the f***ers.

The main reason for the road toll going up is drivers who are too busy eating, drinking, smoking, talking on cell phones, reading or whatever to pay attention to what the hell they are doing. Can you get a ticket for any of these behaviours? Of course not.
    Ride fast or be last.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Maki View Post
    Too true. There are the lizard brains, and then there are those who speed up to prevent you from overtaking. Of course the police could care less and they will not grant you any leeway for speeding if you are overtaking the f***ers.

The main reason for the road toll going up is drivers who are too busy eating, drinking, smoking, talking on cell phones, reading or whatever to pay attention to what the hell they are doing. Can you get a ticket for any of these behaviours? Of course not.

Saying 'they will not grant you any leeway' is a sweeping statement implying ALL cops are like that.

Sorta like saying 'all KBers are argumentative windmill-jousters'.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Maki View Post
    Of course you can. It's called "Careless use...." I will grant you that unless there is an 'incident', being ticketed is rare.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Of course you can. It's called "Careless use...." I will grant you that unless there is an 'incident', being ticketed is rare.

True and true. (probably 'cos a lot of judges probably do the eating/phoning/nose-picking thing and would not see it as carless)

One of the worst I 'did' for careless was cruising through a busy shopping street holding a video camera in his right hand and filming with his eye glued to the view-finder.....
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    GSX-R 750 Y
    Either way the cop was a C*NT and needs some kind of lessons on road safety.....sounds like a total powertrip, shit we speed a little bit when responding,(a very little) and don't get me started on some of the shit I see those cops doing behind the wheel.....i'm not fully savvy on their response rules but iv'e seen them do some crazy shit......more than you would think, personally I think our police (not thier fault) are far too fussy on the minor points of traffic infringements (like going 11km over down a hill,changing lanes too quick or 114 when passing!) if your going to be that pedantic on the road rules you need to stick to your own regulations too, not push them like I see often-then punish others for something trivial.....don't get me wrong I think they do a great job but I get really pissed over the over attention "traffic" gets.....blatant revenue collection is all I can see, in the states you have to be doing something genuinely stupid to get done,and their speed limit is quicker than ours by a lot.........just my 10c
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jamside down.
    A cat glued to some jam toast will hover in quantum indecision

Curiosity was framed; ignorance killed the cat

Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
    Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never seen before.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    One of the worst I 'did' for careless was cruising through a busy shopping street holding a video camera in his right hand and filming with his eye glued to the view-finder.....
    Thank you scummy. Thats a classic-stupid stunt.. almost more than "careless" though.

I know a young lady who lost her new husband - he flew a Cessna 172 taking pictures by himself, and rolled the aircraft right into the ground with his eye glued to the viewfinder. Wheres my cluestick..

DB
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    He'll have YOUR licence No. on the ticket ??? It was you...doesn't matter what you were driving...
    he may have got that number wrong as well

TT I think the gave you an out just wait the 28 days then write in & say this is not the car i was driving
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    Shanksters Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    Ei'm not fully savvy on their response rules but iv'e seen them do some crazy shit......
    Sort of like the nose picking, arse scratching volunteer firefighters I regularly see driving like lunatics to try and get the best seat on the appliance when the siren goes up? Could have made a lot of them walk to the next fire if I wanted to.

Bike
    GSX-R 750 Y
    Quote Originally Posted by spudchucka View Post
    Sort of like the nose picking, arse scratching volunteer firefighters I regularly see driving like lunatics to try and get the best seat on the appliance when the siren goes up? Could have made a lot of them walk to the next fire if I wanted to.
    no worries you do that and see what happens.....!!!!

PS. I'm not a volly so no skin off my nose....although there WOULD be some taken off yours for doing something like that - especially if theyr'e off to an MVA!!!

pss. I wasn't having a dig at the police if you read what I wrote again you'll see I was having a dig at the rediculous and unecessary tickets which get issued quite often.....savvy?You'll find I actually defend the police A LOT on here....and actually have a lot of respect for the boys in blue....

Peace
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jamside down.
    A cat glued to some jam toast will hover in quantum indecision

Curiosity was framed; ignorance killed the cat

Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
    Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never seen before.

Bike
    2013 Yamaha MT-09
    Wait 'till the final notice is posted out and then arrange to pay the fine in weekly amounts, at the minimum payments.

Bike
    Hodor
    Quote Originally Posted by MGST View Post
    Tried this not long ago. They spelt my mane wrong,
    Are you dyslexic?

Thread Information