Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A sunny Picton day out

Bike
    BLANK

A sunny Picton day out

I had intended to join the Welly Cruisy Sunday ride but at 1030pm Sat night i was online booking tickets for my Mum and myself to Picton. The plan was to take her down on the bike and drop her to the local marae for a tangi, then whilst she was there i would try and get to Takaka hill and back. Gotta love when someone else funds the riding trip.

Bit of background, my mum used to ride as a teen in Auckland with all my uncles etc, lotsa Triumphs and Nortons for them back then. she learnt to ride on a Jawa 350cc and hadnt been on a biek again in about 30yrs. So she was excited to go pillion on the mighty Ape.

So booked on 9am sailing and 6pm return sailing, this in my mind left enough time to get there and go for ride then get Ferry back.

8am we rolled up and were the first bike onto the Kaitaki. Now id read teh horror stories of 'take your own straps' on here but didnt want to carry them as extra as mum had her Tangi gear in our bag. so i rolled on expecting to have to use ropes to tie the ape down(no worries tying knots etc are fine with me). Well lo and behold i get to the bike parking area and there are two guys waiting for me, they shepherd me into the Front wheel bike cradle, then proceed to place purpose made straps over my grips and secured to the front. Bike all sorted. No horror stories at all.

Ferry leaves about 20min late and its a smooth sailing(moderate they called it) only could have been smoother if the water was glass.

Arrive at Picton and head down to the bike parks, notice there are 4 bikes there now, must have been italian bike day - we had my Ape, Two Ducati's and a KTM Superduke. Had a quick chat to fulla with Ducati and he said that i could get to St Arnaud, then up to Takaka then back down Queen Charlotte to Picton in about 3hrs - sounded like a plan to me.

Dropped my Mum off at the Marae and quickly headed back to I-site for a map or two. Talked to the lady in there who told me that it was about 2.5hrs drive to St Arnaud so quickly i relaised that i would need to be caning it to get to takaka and back, thats not my style of riding expecially on new to me roads so i elected to go for a pootle around the surrounding area instead.

Firstly went up Queen Charlotte Drive, kind of reminded me of the Akatarawa hill Road here in Upper hutt, but to amke matter worse it had grit all over it, so it was very nerve wracking riding along, took a few photos along the way.

Then i pulled in at Nga Kuta Bay as it looked absolutely beautiful (i needed to take a piss and they had a toilet sign!) parked up and had a gawk at the views of the waterways.

Next i headed back through Picton and then thought id go along the main road out. Sign told me straight ahead to Blenheim or right to Nelson. Blenheim was closer on the map so went that path. Couldnt find any bloody signs with distances to Blenheim etc and it wasnt till i reached a built up part that i stopped at a Shell Station to fuel up, thought this must be Blenheim. Was funny rang my accountant to ensure had enough funds and whilst i had my cellphone tucked inside my helmet a 4wd pulls up in front of me asking what it was i had in my helmet. Turns out him and his wife ride and they thought i had some new fandangled piece of techy gear that they hadnt seen before. "Whats that?" he asked, and as i proceeded to remove cellphone from my helmet all i could think was - yip South Island ay, hadnt seen one of these things j/k. Told him it was a cellphone and he cracked up laughing. He then asked me where i was heading? to which i replied - dunno! where am i at now? then it was confirmed, Blenheim.

From the newly found Blenheim i headed back to Picton and i finally saw a sign that said 28km to Picton!.

This time back in Picton i headed out past Waikawa along Port Underwood road, basically the same experience as Queen Charlotte Drive just in the other direction, lots of corners and lots of grit on them. Pulled up at one of the lookouts and just basked in the sun staring at the sounds. Sun was shining, not even a breath of wind and the view was amazing. Then my cellphone went off and it was time to go back to the marae, stuffed if i know where all the time went but it had gone and we were heading back towards the Ferry to check the bike back on.

Whilst waiting for the Ferry i noticed i still had an oil drip and finally tracked it down(have tightened the drain plug now), also whilst waiting, up rolled a Honda Blackbird so was chatting away with the rider. He'd just bought it in Timaru and was heading back to Auckland with it he liked the matte back of my ape and was looking at spraying his Bird matte black also. We rode onto the Aratere and had to use the straps to secure the bikes(how primitive after my Kaitaki experience) no issues for me - pillion pegs secured pulling backwards and down then i put another strap from front tiedown point around the tank pad and then back to other front tiedown (good ole opposing forces working a treat). I was secured but Mr Blackbird was having issues, helped a little then left him waiting for the Ferry Crew to check it for him. He had malfunctioning straps.

Back in Welly at 920pm and on the bike and home by 10pm.

Saw heaps of bikes and they all gave a nod or a wave back to me.

Had a great day out on the bike and was nice to see what is involved with taking down a bike and pillion on the Ferry, smooth as sailing and good kai on the boat too. Didnt get to Takaka Hill, didnt enjoy the grit on the corners but the views were absolutely stunning down there and it was a great day out and about, a blat over the takas and around the rapa is fun but this was a different type of fun. cant wait to get down there again sometime soon.

UncleB showed me the online pics of a trip to Takaka Hill and ive always wanted to do it, so i think next time ill organise a bit more instead of a few hrs before the sailing time.

Heres some piccies of the day out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picton.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	98388Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picton_sounds.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	98389Click image for larger version. 

Name:	queen_charlotte_drive.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	98390Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nga_kuta_bay.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	98391
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nga_kuta_bay_2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	98393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	port_underwood.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	98392

Bike
    2005 Triumph Speed Four
    Awesome way to spend the day dude. I'm soo jealous
    Manawatu Tag-o-rama Website. Mowgli's score: 38

Bike
    fatboy 08
    Great story. I liked reading and thanks for talking about the strapping. You never know when i have to come to the north island. Thanks for the pics and I am glad you had a great day. So how'd your mum enjoy her ride?
    Last edited by chubby; 17th June 2008 at 13:45. Reason: typical bad english
    Voted most likely to be asked to give an after dinner speach at a bulemic's function

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Nice report. Luv that Pt Underwood rd.

Bike
    BLANK
    Quote Originally Posted by chubby View Post
    Great story. I liked reading and thansk for telling about the strapping. You never know when i have to come to the north island. Thanks for the pics and I am glad you had a great do. So how'd your mum enjoy her ride?
    My Mum absolutely loved it, shes now talking about getting a bike again. Tho i pointed out she'd need to go through the licensing system of 250cc till she has her full license - that may have put her off a bit as she wants a Harley right away but i told her she could find a decent 250 cruiser to learn again on.

Bike
    2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 8V
    Sailed from Wellington to Picton in the 70's. Picton has always stood out in my mind as one of the best places I've been to. Awesome trip.
    Marty

Ever notice that anyone slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?

Bike
    "Grim Reaper"
    Quote Originally Posted by bull View Post
    My Mum absolutely loved it, shes now talking about getting a bike again. Tho i pointed out she'd need to go through the licensing system of 250cc till she has her full license - that may have put her off a bit as she wants a Harley right away but i told her she could find a decent 250 cruiser to learn again on.
    brong on end of year law change! (if they go through with it)
    get your mum to write to LTSA they might let her jump the que!

i miss the sounds they are pretty nice photos!
    I've learnt to hide the pain inside, open the throttle and ride away.

Bike
    fatboy 08
    - that may have put her off a bit as she wants a Harley right away .
    I love your mother well its only about 9 months for her from start to finish now if she'll do an advanced training course. Nice little night train for her.

Good on you for taking her sounds like you made her day.
    Voted most likely to be asked to give an after dinner speach at a bulemic's function

Bike
    Triumph America
    Great report Bull, it's on my wishlist to see the top half.
    A universal dream of greatness is that
    We push ourselves to the limit
    Yet still be brilliant when the chips are down.
    Sometimes , The struggle kills the dream.

Bike
    V-strom 650, SJ50QT Scooter Commuter
    Blog Entries

Talking Lady riders.

Great report Bull, cool pictures too! A great day out.

Lady riders . . . . . .

In the 1970's / early 1980's my mother-in-law used to hitch a lift to and from work on the back of the Honda CB350.

Fifteen years ago at 72 she turned down a ride on my then Honda CB900 F !

Now at 87 + she points out what a great day for a ride it would be! From her rest home bed.

Cheers.
    When you take thousands of photos of your bike does the light from the flash weaken the plastic?

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Did she not hang onto the bike class of licence? If she had then no worries with 250s.

Anyway, nice day out bull. If I were you wanting to do Takaka I'd make a trip of it and stay over there and go right up to have a look at Collingwood and Farewell Spit as well. No point rushing it there is too much to see and nice roads to ride.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    I'm jealous...
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    1980 Yamaha XS1100
    Cool Report-nice part of the world-I used to work in Port Underwood on a farm

Bike
    2013 XT1200Z Super Tenere
    Blog Entries
    Cool story and pix!

Awesome!

Bike
    GL1800
    Great write up Bull - cheers for sharing your day!

I'm in Nelson for a couple of months running a motel for some friends who are holidaying overseas - and am planning some time off to explore Takaka Hill also -- pity it's not Summer, but some great riding still possible.

Thanks again
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Thread Information