Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temper my temper with "Tempur"

Bike
    All of them
    So when Mr Plod arrives next time you'll blow in the bag and make him a cuppa? There's a good chap.

Personally - I can sleep in a tree. Saaay, where's my Bananas....

Bike
    '18 DRZ400SM
    They seem like they would be ...... more difficult to perform extra curricular activities on.
    "It would be spiteful, to put jellyfish in a trifle."
    \m/ o.o \m/

Bike
    750 auw
    The latex keeps you "safe".

Bike
    XR1200x, Triumph Speed Four
    Nothing new or "high tech" about this product despite what any salesman may tell you. It's just a viso-elastic foam made into a mattress. I have been importing (and still do) the original version, developed by a Charlie Yost during his years at NASA, for around 15 years now (both in sheet and liquid form) for use in our rehabilitation business. We use sheets of the stuff every day and I have often thought of getting in a mattress sized sheet but just never seem to have quite gotten around to it. Very nice to sit on, depending on the density or combination of densities you use and it's interesting to see the differing reactions to sleeping on it. This stuff does not breathe easily so if you get hot at night I would suggest you might want to try before you buy if you can.
    There are a number of companies around the world that produce variations of the product and it is long since past being "new" or unique but good stuff none the less.
    "Twilight's like soccer. They run around for two hours, nobody scores, and a billion fans insist you just don't understand"

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    www.tempur.co.nz
    Moodiness, grumpiness and short tempers to a certain extent can linked to a poor nights sleep. Whether it is injury related, habits like snoring and the like, most of us would agree that a restless, disturbed sleep is less than acceptable.
    I for one have noticed that aches/constant repositioning, and substandard sleep hours have quietly snuck up on me over the last few years.

You may not think this is m/cycle related, but just stop and think for second......
    Have you been involved in racing/sportsbikes/farm 4wheelers/industry mechanic?
    Is it possible that the years involved in your m/cycle lifestyle has hastened and increased spinal and joint pain?

Let me say from the outset that I am in no way linked to any bedding/medical or advertising agency, and that my views on this product and brand are solely mine.

Check out the web site for a minute or two and come back to this post........
    hurry up........oh, your back.

OK, so now that you get the gist of this thread (good nights sleep/minimal disturbance/pain reduction etc let me suggest this,
    Get down to a stockist of these mattresses and lay on one. Seriously, you won't make the connection until you do.

I'm quite sceptical of most things NASA related or designed.
    But when the Swedish pick up the patent design and run with it, I get to thinking there might be something in it.
    And there is. Forget your two year old top of line, individual spring, unit construction, everything that opens n shuts posterpedic springy thing. They haven't got a bar on the comfort of this material. Sure they cost. (actually they sting like Father Dooleys cane across my 4th form britchers), but I take the ten yr averaging principle here to nullify the vomit inducing account subtraction. (30cents a night approx for ten yrs to supply great rest for two people is what it will cost, give or take).
    I am breaking the product in. (yes, like all quality goods there is a settling in period while the modules accept there correct shape from manufacture, shipping, storage). I'll keep you informed how this works out. But if the neck, lumbar pain, and tossing and turning is reduced by even 20% it will have been worth it.
    I'll keep you informed. (plan to update my GP, physio etc anyway.
    Oh, I forgot the 15yr product guarantee. Who gives such guaratee's without total faith in their design?
    like Teflon, or velcro, or the Space shuttle?

I'd be viewing the Swedes a bit more skeptically: Nokia, saunas and birching. Some stunning wimmins though. And Abba.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    www.tempur.co.nz

I'm quite sceptical of most things NASA related or designed.
    But when the Swedish pick up the patent design and run with it, I get to thinking there might be something in it.
    like Teflon, or velcro, or the Space shuttle?

I'd be viewing the Swedes a bit more skeptically: Nokia, saunas and birching. Some stunning wimmins though. And Abba.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    SV1000s
    Blog Entries
    Always felt that these things felt great in the showroom but just couldn't bring myself to pay that asking price for a foam rubber mattress. Reading the comments about heat retention is very helpful as its not obviously the sort of thing you think about at the point of sale.

I must say though, I always thought he lack of "bounce/feedback" would be an improvement with respect to the extra-circular activities.
    "There must be a one-to-one correspondence between left and right parentheses, with each left parenthesis to the left of its corresponding right parenthesis."

Bike
    07 GIXXER 75OOOHHHH
    Latex gold people,any mattress with 100% latex will keep you warm(it disperses water faster than foam)so that means dry sleep.Convoluted latex is ok as well,Sleepyhead have 100% latex gold in their mattress' some have less % mixture.

Have seen a latex and foam slab with coconut fibre on top and below matress foam,the normal foam dribbled out compared to latex,which was like a stream,it was a demo but the coconut fibre also helps disperse moisture and helps spread body mass over springs to make bed last longer.

Ask if mattress has latex and coconut fibre for best sleep.
    Hello officer put it on my tab

Don't steal the government hates competition.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries

Update.

Well, me n kanny finally gave up on the Tempur gig.
    The trapped heat, possible "sacking out"of the foam, ie not supporting as it used to, and general unhappiness with our sleep qualityhas lead us to use them for emergency extra guest duties only.
    (We do have comfy guest beds, but these will be on hand if needed.

We have gone back to the more conventional mattress, made by Waikato Bedding,which has added benefits of dealing with the manufacturer,and great product support if required.

So, this is the end of Temper my temper with Tempur.
    Only thing left to say is

Tempur Mattresses are SHIT!
    MHO

Bike
    All of them
    Man, is Mr Plod in trouble.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Man, is Mr Plod in trouble.
    Funny you should mention that.
    Driving home tonight, Waikato H/way patrol were blooding new recruits on the exact stretch of road, where plod misbehaved a few years back.
    Spooky.

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50

Old thread rehashed

The wife and I have just been looking for a new king size mattress, and this thread was right on topic albeit a little old.

We currently have a Sleepyhead Sanctuary mattress, and in the eight years we've had it we've had the springs replaced and the topping layer replaced under warranty. Finally with moving house we've decided that its time to get rid of it. If you want to see a history of bad product design and poor product support search for Sleepyhead, sanctuary and warranty.

Now in our seventies and late sixties we have aches and pains that call for a supportive but comfortable mattress. We've decided that a foam - gel foam or latex - are what we need for comfort. A foam base also would allow us to choose a mechanical base for head and feet adjustment.

We've come down to two choices, a Tempur 25 cm or a Design Mobel latex. The decision went to a pair of medium Design Mobel half king singles on two half king mechanical bases or a kingsize on two half king size mechanical bases. If we take the full king size mattress we'd have to be circumspect in how we used the two mechanical bases - we wouldn't be able to have one fully raised at the head and the other one flat, so we won't be able to use the sit up position unless both of us want to use at at the same time. These half king size mattresses or bases aren't held in stock so would have to be made for us. We've just downsized and our main bedroom isn't really big enough for a Super King bed (that's the size of two 'long' singles and is about 300 mm wider than a standard king size bed).

Why the Design Mobel? This post and other listings on the the net have highlighted that the Tempur is hot in summer and I do feel the heat over summer. Both shops had excellent knowledgeable salespeople (Josh at the Tempur stockist in Wairau Park, North Shore, and Anthony at Beds R Us in Silverdale). But we both felt that the Design Mobel was slightly the more comfortable mattress, it is made of latex which breathes and is cooler in summer, Beds R Us were able to offer us the double half king size bases, and really importantly Beds R Us offer a 30 day trial period and will take the old mattress away.

We did buy a memory foam topper pad to go on the inner spring queen size bed in our spare room, and that hasn't really been a striking success. It ends up too soft and feels as if your spine bows down into the mattress/topper pad.

Edited 17/5/2019: Changed brand name to Design Mobel.
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Placed the order yesterday for a king size Design Mobel Breathe 1 mattress, mattress protector, 30 day trial period and removal of the old mattress. We're going to put it on our existing bases with a view to looking at the mechanical bases later. Had another long lie on the mattress before we ordered it, and we do both like it. Found BedsRUs really good to deal with.

Watch this space for updates on how we find the mattress. I know I resurrected an old post, but motorcyclists do tend to get aches and pains that need a good sleeping platform.
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

Bike
    Sold
    Hope all goes well with the purchase Steve! We bought a Design Mobel slat bed with their firm polyurethane mattress about 15 years ago and loved it, especially as with the twin slats, we could adjust both sides of the bed independently. Loved the firm mattress too. However, as we got older, the mattress got a bit too firm for ageing bodies. Last year, we put a softer spare Sleepyhead on the Mobel base and it's been a great improvement in comfort. Ahhh...... the trials of growing older

Thread Information