Thread: Choke

Bike
    Honda GB250, Cessna 172

Choke causing confusion

Hey
    On my Suzuki A100 2-stroke I've been having a bit of confusion over the choke system on it. It's choke lever moves sideways, but it doesn't indicate which way is on and which is off. All is has on it is a little S with an arrow pointing left, e.g.
    <-----S.

Basically the problem is that I dont know which way is off. I've been riding it round with the lever to the right since I've had it (just over a week), and its been going fine, no major stalling or anything. But still not sure if choke is on or off.

When the lever is to the right, it pulls the cable slightly (half a mm) further away from the engine, and when the lever is to the left, it pushes the cable slightly further in to the engine. Which one is on and which is off?

Bike
    Various
    Just from your description and assuming that the choke is situated on the left side of the bike? I would say that pulling out to the left is the on position the 'S' being for start.
    And normally most push-pull chokes are in the off position when pushed in.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    Honda GB250, Cessna 172
    Yep choke control is on left side.

Bike
    Hyosung GT250R
    when u start move it one way, if it revs more it opening, no?

Bike
    Honda GB250, Cessna 172
    Well yeah, but it happens both ways when cold, it seems. E.g. if I start with choke to the right, and move it to the left, the revs drop, but if I start it with choke to the left, and move it to the right, the revs also drop.

I'm hoping that someone has knowledge of either the <----S sign on the choke control, or the:

When the lever is to the right, it pulls the cable slightly (half a mm) further away from the engine, and when the lever is to the left, it pushes the cable slightly further in to the engine. Which one is on and which is off?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Pull the air filter off and look down his throat. I would guess the FILTER is clogged a bit, or the choke is not working at all. HAVE A LOOK. Doing the movement of the lever at full (well a few more than idle) noise, and see what happens.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Various
    Not sure what kind of carby these things have but a lot of small 2-strokes have a fuel enrichment circuit rather than a conventional choke like earlier four strokes. So, pulling the choke on will not necessarily result in a noticable increase in revs, just the ability to start easier when cold.
    Best thing to do would be to ask your dealer/mechanic to explain the operation etc to you, I'm sure they'll be only to happy to help.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    Honda PC800
    as a rule--away from the carb is "choke" on -towards the carb is off
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Pull the air filter off and look down his throat. I would guess the FILTER is clogged a bit, or the choke is not working at all. HAVE A LOOK. Doing the movement of the lever at full (well a few more than idle) noise, and see what happens.
    and write down which way is which!

i have the same problem with my pocket rocket -manual says one thing, writing on carby says another, and every time i go to use it i can't remember which was right and end up having to pop the filter off

Thread Information