Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This software hasn't passed windows XP testing

Bike
    BSA A10
    I was trying to install the version of IE that you get with Xtras adsl package,but I have had the same problem when downloading updates from Microsoft

About 3/4 of anything I download in the way of updates from microsofts update site including drivers and service packs won't install despite following every instruction on their site to rectify the problem

I'm using XP home version 2002,I dont' have any sevice packs installed because they supposedly haven't passed windows XP testing :disapint:

I'm aso having problems getting the ADSL connection up and running which after 1/2 hr on the phone to the help desk they said they'll send out another modem so I'm off to hook this one up to someone who has a got a working connection and see if it is the problem
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1997 Ducati 600 Supersport
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha
    I was trying to install the version of IE that you get with Xtras adsl package,but I have had the same problem when downloading updates from Microsoft

About 3/4 of anything I download in the way of updates from microsofts update site including drivers and service packs won't install despite following every instruction on their site to rectify the problem

I'm using XP home version 2002,I dont' have any sevice packs installed because they supposedly haven't passed windows XP testing :disapint:

I'm aso having problems getting the ADSL connection up and running which after 1/2 hr on the phone to the help desk they said they'll send out another modem so I'm off to hook this one up to someone who has a got a working connection and see if it is the problem

hmmm... sounds like certification is stuffed.... have you run a virus scanner lately??? sometimes a friggin virus will stop you installing anything from M$ or virus related... mainly updates!!!!

I actually run 2 virus scanners and a firewall and a router with hardware firewall...

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    I'll post a few ideas:

#1: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;888019

Also do you have XP SP2 on CD? If not PM me your address and I'll mail you a copy.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Could you post a screen dump of the error message you get too?

(I've been paged and am waiting for a callback, so I have some time at the mo)
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    #6: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;810370

I'll wait to see if any of these helped.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Blakamin
    hmmm... sounds like certification is stuffed.... have you run a virus scanner lately??? sometimes a friggin virus will stop you installing anything from M$ or virus related... mainly updates!!!!

I actually run 2 virus scanners and a firewall and a router with hardware firewall...
    I run a virus scan and adaware weekly

Jim2 When I click those links it just opens another window which is blank,the install I tried seems to have caused some problems and I can't open anything in another window or acess my email through outlook and cutting and pasting the link just gets me a "this page can't be opened" message

Just found it I've got version 5.1 of XP
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries

Jim2 When I click those links it just opens another window which is blank,the install I tried seems to have caused some problems and I can't open anything in another window or acess my email through outlook and cutting and pasting the link just gets me a "this page can't be opened" message

The only thing I can think of is that you aren't logged in as the local administrator. Did you do the install XP yourself, or did you buy it preinstalled?

Don't worry about the XP version number. That basically means that it's the 5th generation of Windows O/S.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2
    The only thing I can think of is that you aren't logged in as the local administrator. Did you do the install XP yourself, or did you buy it preinstalled?

Don't worry about the XP version number. That basically means that it's the 5th generation of Windows O/S.
    preinstalled,I've been using it for a couple of years with no problems except for doing the updates

the only option I have is to log on as the owner even if I switch users I still don't have the option to log on as admin

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    ... can anyone remember who designed the GUI for the first Macs????

You cheeky shit.

Apple designed the GUI for the first mac, but had help from Xerox for the idea when they designed the Lisa
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    There was no help from Xerox. Steve Jobs asked for a copy of an O/S he saw being trialled on a Photocopier when visiting Palo Alto. The techo gave it to him. Woz developed it from there.

Bike

Sounds like "Mydoom" or the likes of that... stop you updating to get rid of RPC's
    they are known to stop you going to anything with M$ in the name....windows update even renamed their site for a while to get around this problem...
    try an online virus scanner here then go to symantec website (if it lets you)symantec website and have a look at removal tools....

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like "Mydoom" or the likes of that... stop you updating to get rid of RPC's
    they are known to stop you going to anything with M$ in the name....windows update even renamed their site for a while to get around this problem...
    try an online virus scanner here then go to symantec website (if it lets you)symantec website and have a look at removal tools....
    Beat me to it. Good work. However RPC is just a part of the O/S, so don;t go disabling the RPC service or anythigng

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2
    Beat me to it. Good work.
    Not just an ugly face, you know!!

Thread Information