Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Zeal issues

Bike
    Yamaha Zeal 250

eek Yamaha Zeal issues

Hey guys,

I know that some of you are grease monkeys so maybe you can help me out with some of the issues i have with my bike.

For unknown reason when i start my bike in the morning when it is cold, it makes this knocking noise. It is like tapping, thats why i was thinking maybe it is valve clearance but that knocking stops when the engine warms up.
    It might have started after oil replacement, however, i double checked it and there is right amount of oil, and it wasn't cheap oil either.

Now the bike has only done 16k, (i got told it might be pistons, but i dont think pistons would die after 16k of nice riding )

Another issue that i have (it might not be an issue), i got told that my bike sounds like carbs aren't balanced. I have never done carb balancing, i have cleaned carbs before, i saw few tutorials on how to make carb balancing tool with piece of transparent tubing and piece of plank, but how accurate that would be? Does anyone have any feedback on that?

cheers

Bike
    None any more
    Sounds like it could be a cam chain. I had a similar problem on my Zeal and that was the cam chain.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Yamaha Zeal 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sounds like it could be a cam chain. I had a similar problem on my Zeal and that was the cam chain.
    Was it only when the bike was cold? What did u end up doing? I never done anything with cam chain. Do you have to replace it or adjust it?

Bike
    Yamaha Zeal 250
    It rattles/knocks, i would say it sounds a bit like desel engine when it is cold. When it warms up it is way better.

Bike
    None any more
    The knock was worse when the bike was cold. The problem was cured by replacing the cam chain. The mileage on my bike was similar to yours.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Hornet
    Yeah sounds quite plausable. Is it a manual cam chain tensioner or automatic? If it's manual you could try tweaking it a little and see if the noise goes away...
    Having trouble behaving on your bike? www.Ride2Die.com

Bike
    Yamaha Zeal 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstar View Post
    Yeah sounds quite plausable. Is it a manual cam chain tensioner or automatic? If it's manual you could try tweaking it a little and see if the noise goes away...
    That is a very good question.... Hitcher have you got any manuals for zeal? Or maybe you remember if it was automatic or manual. If it is manual, i can get my flatmate to adjust it for me and we will see if it does anything.

Bike
    None any more
    Sorry, no Zeal manuals. Ring up your closest Yamaha workshop and ask them.

Bike
    Yamaha Zeal 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sorry, no Zeal manuals. Ring up your closest Yamaha workshop and ask them.
    I only managed to get owner manual, of some Russian website, no service manuals in english (jap import). I'll keep on digging.

If anyone wants owner's manual for zeal please pm me.

Bike
    Cagiva Xtra Raptor
    Jeaves told me once he has a workshop manual, you could ask him to see if you could borrow it (if he still has it).

Bike
    K7 SV650
    Yep still have it. Auto tensioner by the way

sob....miss my Zeal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zealservice.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	99918  
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    all's fair in love, war and tax avoidance.

Bike
    '10 Triumph Street Triple
    I'd be suprised to see bikes this day and age with manual cam chain tensioners.
    The ticking seems indicative of a worn tensioner, so that it the first thing i would try, although I am far from a reliable source, the knocking may well be a result of the tensioner, but i have no idea.

Manuals: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=10556

Bike
    Yamaha Zeal 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeaves View Post
    Yep still have it. Auto tensioner by the way

sob....miss my Zeal
    Could i make a copy of it? Is it in english? it doesnt matter too much, i can probably get it translated. PM ME!
    Last edited by lemining; 11th July 2008 at 15:28.

Bike
    Yamaha Zeal 250
    Is anyone keen for pizza and beer and a bit of cam chain replacement in my zeal? i havent done it before so i would feel safer with someone who has.

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by lemining View Post
    Is anyone keen for pizza and beer and a bit of cam chain replacement in my zeal? i havent done it before so i would feel safer with someone who has.
    inline four, right?

not having done it myself, but having had it done before, i'd be keen to give you a hand

ask at a shop for the chain & price, and see if you can view the exploded parts diagram, they should be happy to print it out for you if it means a sale.

speculation:
    if it's got a master link that we don't have to rivet with a special tool, we can remove the rocker cover, open the old chain, clip the new chain to it, draw it through and join back to itself. easy job, few beers should do it.

if it's an endless chain, which would seem "safer" for the application where a fuckup means a new engine, we'll likely have to do some minor to complete disassembly of the motor to change it, depending on where it sits, ie between cylinders or just behind flywheel. a lot of tools, a lot of time, A LOT of beers.

any more experienced mechanics know more about this bike? i'm guessing it's a case of a special rivet tool; reliable and easy.
    any known ways to emulate the tool? hammer and hole punch?

Thread Information