Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Places to ride off-road

Places to ride off-road

This thread is for places to ride,these are upper North Island,(thanks Firefight)other areas please put in what you have.

1) The Sandpit, Woodhill forest, SHW 16/ take Rimmers rd head to coast, bike park well sign posted, Open Wed to Sunday, late night Thursday during summer, provides access to 1000 acres and 200kms of sand based tracks, Sand Moto X track. Kids tracks etc. Free break down service with 4x4 650cc Quad, Toilet and wash down facilities. For rates/info www.thesandpit.co.nz.

2)Thunder Valley Bike park SHW 22, about 30 mins sou west of Tuakau.
    750 acres of hill country rides, A & B track, swamps, forest, bush, Moto x track, hilly stuff, fast open hay paddocks, heaps of natural formed jumps and man made jumps, I think open Wednesday to Sunday, safe/secure parking,
    was about NZ$20.00 per rider, (A) track not suitable for kids or newbies.

3) Jam track, located left hand side clevedon to dudders road, small moto x track and 7-8 min bush track, tricky in wet, but lots of fun.

4)Fletchers Arariumu, small private track, not bad, used to charge NZ$ 15.00

5) If your into Moto X, Ardmore is at very active well run club, bloody good safe track, for newbies and pros, from papkura on the clevedon rd, just past ardmore airfeild turn off look for a KTM sign on right hand side.

6) If you don,t mind a bit of a drive, Kimmys farm at rotowaro west of Huntly has a good track, good motox track, and very good endro loop(11 ks I think)
    used to be NZ$ 20.00, but have not ridden there this year.

7) Maratotos DOC run/honesty box, about 25 ks from Kopu as you head towards Paeroa, don,t ride it alone very isolated, and very challanging, ride creek beds, about 4 river crossings, rock slides tracks, bush, good value.

8) If your a good motox rider, Harrisville(Tuakau) is where its at, big jumps, fast track, good location, normally only open for big events or club pratice, if you want big air/broken bones go there.
    Last edited by Wolf; 30th October 2007 at 13:31. Reason: Item 1 updated to reflect current status and avoid problems
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    2004 GSXR600 / 1989 K75 BMW
    Awesome guide there Motu.

That track at Aririmu, is that on a famers land ?? I think thats the track that I broke my collar bone on.

I'm considering going back and retrying the "off-road" experience. I used to love spending days out at Woodhill and the bombing range but I was just soooo crap at woopdedoos that I'd crash everytime I went out.... The girlfriend started getting annoyed at playing nurse. (although I didn't) :love2:
    Not even with yours!!!

Bike
    None any more
    Off road riding? Many Wellingtonian bikers favour the Rimutakas...
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    We understand the Manawatu Gorge can provide awesome riding at certain times of the year, however it is often closed???
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    1986 suzuki DR250
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    Off road riding? Many Wellingtonian bikers favour the Rimutakas...
    there is also a place up the akatarawa road, for us Welly folks,

I may go for a mission out there tonight, and post up directions tomorrow

sam

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by SSS
    there is also a place up the akatarawa road, for us Welly folks
    "Lemming Corner", perhaps?
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    Quote Originally Posted by SSS
    there is also a place up the akatarawa road, for us Welly folks,

I may go for a mission out there tonight, and post up directions tomorrow

sam
    Karapoti Track. There's heaps of trails up there and the major trail leads to the Paraparaumu Coast. Love to go up there some time

Bike
    1986 suzuki DR250

Karapoti track

Quote Originally Posted by alarumba
    Karapoti Track. There's heaps of trails up there and the major trail leads to the Paraparaumu Coast. Love to go up there some time

You have a dirtbike too? other wise, you may scratch the plastics on teh CBR....

Im keen to meet up with people and go for a thrash sometime, just about to finish of my long term DR250 project, and get a Ute.

Yea, Karapoti, would definately be keen, is that the main Legal track for us?

sam

**EDIT** Ok, here are the directions, drove out there with Mrs last night...

From Upper hutt, head towards Te Marua Speedway, as you leave Upper Hutt, take the Akatarawa Rd (left), and push your Trip Meter to "0" drive for 5.5kms, and then the road has a Fork, with a side road to the LEFT, head down there, and turn left sharp, onto a One Way bridge, and drive for another 1.5kms, over one more dodgy as all hell wooden bridge, and there is a large car park.(park up, and bikes out)

I have not gone any further than this, but i may just get the old Pedal Power out, and have a look upthere, until i get the engine finished on the DR.

regards

sam
    Last edited by SSS; 6th February 2005 at 14:08. Reason: Have done research on where track is

Bike
    R6 & CRF sold, new bike is coming

another place to ride central North Island (ish)

This place at Reporoa is pretty good, got a lodge you can hire take up to 7 people, lots of tracks including motox..heres a link

www.terrainpark.co.nz

F/F
    "Kiwi Biker, still a great place despite the mods "

"Would crawl over broken glass before owning Suzuki"

The only reason I only ride in the Iron man Class is I have no friends left to enter the two man events,
    my own fault really.

Bike
    Yamaha R6 '00
    Hey, new to offroading... but loving it.

Heard about a place to ride in Taupaki? Near Kumeu... aparantly theres some scramble ride there coming up - Annadales farm or something like that?

Is this open every weekend? Or only for one off events?

Basically want to find somewhere close to auckland to ride - that isnt so much sand - ie woodhill.... some where more farm like?

Cheers.

Bike
    R6 & CRF sold, new bike is coming

Re Taupaki Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid

Heard about a place to ride in Taupaki? Near Kumeu... aparantly theres some scramble ride there coming up - Annadales farm or something like that?

Basically want to find somewhere close to auckland to ride - that isnt so much sand - ie woodhill.... some where more farm like?

Cheers.
    Contact Power adventures, they run scrambles there from time to time.
    heres a link thingy.. www.poweradventures.co.nz
    F/F
    "Kiwi Biker, still a great place despite the mods "

"Would crawl over broken glass before owning Suzuki"

The only reason I only ride in the Iron man Class is I have no friends left to enter the two man events,
    my own fault really.

Bike
    2017 XSR900
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbid

Cheers.
    Annandales is a 3 times a year thing through Power Adventures, they also do Fells farm near Kaukaupakaupa, as some else posted. Woodhill will be much better when the 'new' bike park is open

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XJR1300
    Yes it is legal to ride in Karapoti, but you need to get a permit from the Upper Hutt office of the Wellington Regional Council, The permit is free, you just need to ring them up on 04 526 4133 and ask for one, and they will mail one out to you. It also comes with a help full little map. for more info check out this page http://www.gw.govt.nz/section550.cfm

You can also access Karapoti from Maungakotukutuku Valley just follow the sign to Kapiti Four x 4 Adventure from parapapaumu. They also have a little map on there web site showing how to get there. http://www.kapitifourx4.co.nz/general.shtml
    There is no formal car park at the Maungakotukutuku Valley end, but most people just park on the side of the road opposite the quad place. Once you park up and unload, just ride accross the river and up the hill, there is a gate blocking the track but it has a gap for motorbikes to get in but not 4 wheel drives.

But beware that Karapoti can get quite busy and the tracks are all 2 way, so always keep left. And if you are new to trail riding avoid the Devils staircase and the rock garden.

Bike
    Tiger - KTM300XC

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    This thread is for places to ride,these are upper North Island,(thanks Firefight)other areas please put in what you have.

3) Jam track, located left hand side clevedon to dudders road, small moto x track and 7-8 min bush track, tricky in wet, but lots of fun.

5) If your into Moto X, Ardmore is at very active well run club, bloody good safe track, for newbies and pros, from papkura on the clevedon rd, just past ardmore airfeild turn off look for a KTM sign on right hand side.

8) If your a good motox rider, Harrisville(Tuakau) is where its at, big jumps, fast track, good location, normally only open for big events or club pratice, if you want big air/broken bones go there.
    1. Don't go near Jam Track in the wet, it is all clay based and even a pro rider wouldn't make it round the enduro loop in one piece! (very steep, up & down)

2. Ardmore (sign now says YAMAHA) open Wed & Sundays for practice with 'Wildman series' race
    day once a month Ph (09) 2680886 for whats on (the day of) message.

3. Harrisville open 1-3pm for practice on Sat & racing bout once/month on Sunday.
    Going away, busy?
    Need your pets fed @ home or dog walked? go here www.petcarebiz.co.nz
    Wanna stay in Kawhia? Have I got the bach for you PM me for details

Bike
    All of them

Tarawera club

This looks well done:
    http://www.ttbrc.co.nz

Doing the posters for the 100km race now

Thread Information