Thread: One should not drink beer and buy motorcycles

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944

One should not drink beer and buy motorcycles

I may have got carried away and negotiated the purchase of a fairly ancient VT250 spada, fortunately for not a lot of money, and for various nebulous reasons.

Seems not a bad bike, except for the terrible rattling noises at idle, which to be fair I'm used to as a Ducati owner.

Mostly I'm intrigued by the one year only cast alloy frame, either it was terribly expensive to build or a terrible idea, but either way that's such a Honda thing to do.

So tell me good people, if it's not the easy fix of tightening the starter clutch bolts that seems to turn up quite regularly on the internet, how hard is to replace the camchains or tensioners on one of these tiny v-twins?
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I know not, but back in the day the early vt250s loved to root tensioners.

I taught a lass to ride on one and was I immediately impressed with what a neat little bike it was. Would have been a great commuter or miles better learner than shitty road maggots (GN) .
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    One of these was my first bike I rode again after paralysing my arm. They'll forever hold a place in my heart for that reason. The diaphragm in the fuel tank petcock assembly won't though.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Remove tensioners and ultrasonic clean them, soak in oil for a few days, re-install. About the standard level of difficulty as any other 4 cam vee motor
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    I did read that the tensioners in the earlier ones were a bit shit, but that also seems to be a Honda thing from that era.

Plan is little bike for commuting to work as the big bike is shit at that, and get out for the occasional bit of fun.

I have also read that cleaning the tensioners can make a difference, I'm also thinking that it's been sitting for a few years so fresh oil and getting it proper hot might help, start with the least intrusive things.....

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    They're not a bad tensioner, they just get gummed up. They're brilliant little bikes, I put 120,000km on mine years ago. A friend has one that needs saving, might have to grab it.
    I made a proper set of headers for mine, I think it made 34 or 36whp, what a rocket 😅
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    So after removing the very handily placed timing mark (I assume that's what it's for) cover, the bolts on the starter clutch are indeed loose. Clutch cover gasket on the way so I can get in there and tighten and loctite the buggers.

Also sounds like rattling from the top end, so will need it's hats off to look at the chains and tensioners. Or just don't stop at traffic lights, so don't hear it idling....

Finding it really boggy at low revs, so suspect it may need carbs off to have a look at how well the guy selling the bike on behalf 'cleaned the carbs' after being parked for 10 years.

Both brake calipers off to unstick the pins on the stupid single sided sliding things, now it actually rolls into the garage, while I'm there new pads and a bleed on the front.

Looks to have a brand new battery, at the current prices that's a bonus.

Don't hate it yet, give it time.....

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Check they haven't put the bigger main jet in the front, if the fella even took the carbs off

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Check they haven't put the bigger main jet in the front, if the fella even took the carbs off
    Looking at how filthy they are, I don't think they've been off, I suspect his definition of cleaning the carbs was probably squirting some carb cleaner down them.

I gather from your comment there are different bits installed in the front and rear carbs? I'll have to pay attention when I strip and clean them...

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Only difference is the main jet, from memory. I haven't played with one since 2009ish though

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Airline and remove jets. Not full story but gets 90% of issues.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Well, clutch cover off and loose starter clutch bolts tightened and loctited, terrible rattle at idle now gone. Still not sewing machine quiet, but a bit of minor valve train noise I can live with.

As normal worst and longest part of the job cleaning off the old gasket, took about 10 times longer than what I was actually in there for.

Took it for a spin up the motorway, to start with didn't want to do more than about 80k, but after a bit of surging cleared it's throat and now seems to run sensibly.

Probably still need to give the carbs a once over at some point, but that can wait until the weather is miserable for a bit, at the moment it's too much fun commuting to work to pull it apart.

Now just waiting for some fuel tank mounting bits to turn up in the mail, still intrigues me how people can put something back together with half the parts missing and not notice.

Thread Information