Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rg150 problems

Bike
    Nada

rg150 problems

Hi,

Mates Rg150 is having trouble starting with the kick starter. It was running fine up till a couple days ago. We managed to push start it which took a lot pushing but the bike rides around once its running but feels a bit crappy(cold engine). Once its started it wont idle it just dies. Sometimes revs out but then dies again.

We checked the spark plug and carbs. The kill switch definitely isn't on.

Its a two stroke.

Cheers

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    check your battery
    REPLACE the plug with one you KNOW works.. or a new one.. sure it may spark... but under load..???
    check you have fuel...... !!!
    RE-CLEAN the carbs

2 strokes are easy, as long as they have fuel and spark ( at the right time ) they should go...

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    Nada
    Quote Originally Posted by ajturbo View Post
    check your battery
    REPLACE the plug with one you KNOW works.. or a new one.. sure it may spark... but under load..???
    check you have fuel...... !!!
    RE-CLEAN the carbs

2 strokes are easy, as long as they have fuel and spark ( at the right time ) they should go...

Cheers for the reply.

We replaced the spark plug, we have fuel in the tank and the battery is fine.

We can push start it but it dies eventually. We are gonna clean the carbs again. We are thinking a blocked idle jet.

Anymore ideas would be helpful..

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    could also be the lead easy cheap replacement job does the plug have a good spark when you test it??

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    kohler 150
    Blog Entries
    A J's two thirds right. You need spark, fuel and COMPRESSION. (And all in the right time /quantities)

RG's are prone to getting water in the fuel tank via the filler cap breather.
    This causes said symptoms. The other common one is a blocked pilot jet.
    It's tiny little thing, take care to get it out and clean it with a tiny ground down needle or pin. All the Rg's I prep for racing (over 40 so far) all get a filter at DAY ONE. There's a little WIX brand one, conical in shape. Brilliant.
    Take care, I once fitted some big car ones, but they self seal after a few minutes, obviously designed for a pressure, not gravity system.

Worst case is you have little or no compression. These bikes do wear out and often swallow their power valves.

Good luck

Bike
    take this with a grain of salt, but my rgV150 used to have problems starting ages ago, under advice from KB I took it for a high revving burn around (not fast, just high revving)

worked great afterward, 2t's love to have the crap wrung out of them

Bike
    rego on hold nick smith special
    Blog Entries
    yes ill second that... blow all the shit oil out of the engine. give it some good high revs. i have also fixed idling problem like that. same sympton, it was hard as to start. how are your plugs are they wet and black as hell? If so might be lot of oil in the exhaust. give it a good thrashing.

actually check the plug for spark too- could be the leads..

try adjusting your idle jet a little higher.

Bike
    Nada
    Yeah it will be givin hell once we get it going.

Ok we got a new spark plug which has a good spark. We stripped and cleaned the carbs again. Now it wont even push start it just back fires when we try.

Surely its something small? any more ideas?.

Cheers for the help so far.

Bike
    Husky TE310, 2 Buckets and a ZXR250C
    Plently of compression?

Check that the breather hose from the tank isn't blocked. Happened to my bucket it and it back fired. To quickly test the theory, try open your fuel cap and try start the bike after waiting for 20 seconds, allows the tank to breath, and lets fuel get to carb, and its faster than whipping the tank off and checking the breather hose. Go try now

A 2 stroke shouldn't backfire.
    But my bucket did, and that's what the problem was, but it was also running mega lean, are you running a air filter?

Bike
    Nada
    Quote Originally Posted by quallman1234 View Post
    Plently of compression?

Check that the breather hose from the tank isn't blocked. Happened to my bucket it and it back fired. To quickly test the theory, try open your fuel cap and try start the bike after waiting for 20 seconds, allows the tank to breath, and lets fuel get to carb, and its faster than whipping the tank off and checking the breather hose. Go try now

But my bucket did, and that's what the problem was, but it was also running mega lean, are you running a air filter?
    Backfire probably isn't the right word. Theres no flame its air/ gas.

Bike
    Several
    Could be the timing Waaaay out, But not likley on an rg150 coz of the way it all works.
    Has it had a big knock to the left-hand side of the engine?
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    Nada
    Quote Originally Posted by quallman1234 View Post
    Plently of compression?

Ok we tried with the fuel cap open and got nothing. Yes we are running with an air filter.

Quote Originally Posted by koba
    Could be the timing Waaaay out, But not likley on an rg150 coz of the way it all works.
    Has it had a big knock to the left-hand side of the engine?
    Not that we know of but explain.

Bike
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by centercore View Post
    Ok we tried with the fuel cap open and got nothing. Yes we are running with an air filter.

Not that we know of but explain.
    The pickups on the end of the crankshaft crate a pulse for the CDI box to send another pulse to the coils and on to the plug.

If they are out of place the spark will occur at the wrong time.
    There are not many ways for the spark timing to be out on an RG150.

If the spark happens when the ports are still open it will backfire BUT my earlier comment was silly as the backfiring is far more likley to be caused by somthing else like running so lean that the mixture wont combust in the chamber but blows when it meets more favorable burning conditions outside the combustion chamber.
    As it probably was on Quallmans bucket.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    Several
    Are you SURE the carbs are all clean, in the jet holes and all without using a rag that may leave even small bits of fluff?

Make sure fuel flows well out of the tap when it is turned on too.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    Nada
    Yeah we will have to try again.

Also today we check the power valves. A sping is missing and the part that holds the spings in place has snapped off. Dunno if that might be the problem.
    Last edited by centercore; 8th August 2008 at 18:34. Reason: I meant springs not screws argfggfhgf

Thread Information