Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ land speed record?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Might be worth a try: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...t-West-Sprints

They run the event once or twice a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW S1000RR View Post
    I own a BMW S1000RR that's 188rwhp and have been riding bikes 20 years have owned 13 1000cc bikes. One over 200rwhp and know you can do over 307kph on a bike on the road in nz but how do you qualify to try? I'm very interested in having a go on my S1000RR can someone post a way to contact people in charge of attempts or rules to having a crack at record? Or does someone know someone whose previously done it and can ask cheers
    It's complicated...Finding a club interested is the first hurdle, then a road suitable - not easy as access, surface and gradient all count. Certified timing gear - and paying the owner/operator plus marshals to run the road closure, their accomodation if needed and transport...Permits and insurance...

The last guy i knew who was keen and apparently had the $$ had a promise from Tim Shadbolt of assistance so I put him in touch with the Southland club as they would have to run it. Never heard any more.....

Once upon a time several clubs ran flying 1/4 mile events regularly. It's become so hard to do now and speeds so high that no one is prepared to do it now.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Ashburton Car Club hold their Standing & Flying 1/4 mile sprints annually

Chertsey Singletree Rd (the place where Flying Kiwi should have run instead of the goat track they ran on ) billiard-table smooth & perfect for high speed runs

5th December this year

Bike
    BMW S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    It's complicated...Finding a club interested is the first hurdle, then a road suitable - not easy as access, surface and gradient all count. Certified timing gear - and paying the owner/operator plus marshals to run the road closure, their accomodation if needed and transport...Permits and insurance...

The last guy i knew who was keen and apparently had the $$ had a promise from Tim Shadbolt of assistance so I put him in touch with the Southland club as they would have to run it. Never heard any more.....

Once upon a time several clubs ran flying 1/4 mile events regularly. It's become so hard to do now and speeds so high that no one is prepared to do it now.
    I'm definitely not some rich bugga so if anythings gunna slow me down its cash. Sponsors and backing from someone whose keen to see it done would help. 307.447 kph is what I've heard is this official?

Bike
    a red heap
    Ask Paul Heard

Bike
    BMW S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Ashburton Car Club hold their Standing & Flying 1/4 mile sprints annually

Chertsey Singletree Rd (the place where Flying Kiwi should have run instead of the goat track they ran on ) billiard-table smooth & perfect for high speed runs

5th December this year
    Chertsey as in just south of christchurch? Cheers for that much appreciated ill cruise down for a nose and ask around see if anyone can help with hurdles and see if this dreamer can have a crack!

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW S1000RR View Post
    Chertsey as in just south of christchurch? Cheers for that much appreciated ill cruise down for a nose and ask around see if anyone can help with hurdles and see if this dreamer can have a crack!
    8kms south of Rakaia..... about 35-40mins from Hornby

There's a video or two buried here on KB of a race prepped ZX10R giving it a nudge on the road a few years back (under controlled conditions )

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    The most impressive current record, has gotta be the 250cc one.

All the rest are surprisingly low...except maybe the 50cc. 80mph is fair hauling.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    A thorough check of the record books could be interesting. Years ago Bob Coleman apparently wanted to get his name in the record books probably for both personal and commercial publicity reasons. He found an ancient 1 mile grass track record and went and broke that. From memory he used an AJS scrambler on a horse racing track.

If that record still stands a modern big bore Moto X bike with more power and vastly better suspension should be able to break that record. Though it's likely getting all the necessary approvals would be harder than breaking the record.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    A thorough check of the record books could be interesting. Years ago Bob Coleman apparently wanted to get his name in the record books probably for both personal and commercial publicity reasons. He found an ancient 1 mile grass track record and went and broke that. From memory he used an AJS scrambler on a horse racing track.

If that record still stands a modern big bore Moto X bike with more power and vastly better suspension should be able to break that record. Though it's likely getting all the necessary approvals would be harder than breaking the record.
    I saw that. The old New Brighton racecourse which became QE2 stadium - now munted of course...From memory, a G85 scrambler with a G50 motor fitted. Not an easy ride either. Bloody brave in fact. I think he broke his grandad's record. Seriously I doubt if a big bore modern motoX bike would do it, the power characteristics wouldn't be very suitable for the mile. The G50 donk was on alky I think too, so not short of HP....

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    The most impressive current record, has gotta be the 250cc one.

All the rest are surprisingly low...except maybe the 50cc. 80mph is fair hauling.
    The 50cc record belongs to Pete Sale on his Suzuki GT50 bucket racer. Probably that bike is owned by the Griffiths now.
    just pointing it out as Drew has been a bit critical of bucket racers.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    The 50cc record belongs to Pete Sale on his Suzuki GT50 bucket racer. Probably that bike is owned by the Griffiths now.
    I had assumed it was a bucket.

I am critical of bucket racers, the bikes are choice.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    But we wear such cool t-shirts.

Too old now and the bike isn't going any more but I would have loved to give it a go. I even got a 16T front sprocket to gear it 16:27. Pretty sure it would have pulled it given how it hauled with 15:27 at Puke.

Bike
    GPR150
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    does someone want to buy it (-:

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I am critical of bucket racers
    They're just as big a pack of dicks as Sidecar riders
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Thread Information