Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Racetech gold valve install - self-install?

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Pussy View Post
    Yes! Modifying damper rod forks to take cartridge emulators is a completely different kettle of fish to revalving cartridge forks
    I agree there, er but hold on, I am told the GT650R are cartridge forks.

"Suspension: 41mm inverted cartridge forks adjustable for compression and rebound damping"

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?...icleId=2839090
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...28#post1639928
    http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=213121
    http://www.ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?id=1201879

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    I agree there, er but hold on, I am told the GT650R are cartridge forks.

"Suspension: 41mm inverted cartridge forks adjustable for compression and rebound damping"

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?...icleId=2839090
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...28#post1639928
    http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=213121
    http://www.ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?id=1201879

Steve
    It won't be as easy as it sounds, DB, to disassemble, modify, and reassemble cartridges. It is VERY easy to fuck it up.
    Fitting emulators to damper rod forks is quite easy, in comparisson.
    Quite honestly, get RT or someone VERY familiar with cartridge forks to do the job for you, and save a shitload of grief
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    My experiences with Race tech kits, and fitment have been told here before.
    I have been in the bike trade, mechanic for quite a few years on lots of different gear, and I still think that having guys like RT around are a great thing.
    Yes, you can do it yourself, or even get a half competent mechanic to install it for you, but I would say that the result will be approx 50% as good as what you hope for, and you will ride the bike for a few months trying to dial the suspension in, then get the shits and get someone like Robert to redo it.
    I take pride in my work, but I'm not so big headed to think I can compete knowledge wise with RT etc in the suspension game.
    It's like bypassing a great plumber to get a electrician to install all your pipes/hot water/sewage system. Sure, they can do a pretty good job because they work closely with plumbers, but when it rains heavily, and poos start floating down your driveway, what would you say to yourself?
    (something like "damn, should of used that plumber).
    Bedtime story over

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post
    10... 9... 8...

(counting down til when Robert Taylor appears and lambasts all us gumbies for even thinking we could fiddle with suspension without 20 years of experience and a gold-edged certificate from that Swedish company whose name I forgot...)
    Flippancy is not always an endearing quality and I was guilty of that in my younger years. But hey, Ive had worse and last week was indirectly accused of being ''holier than thou''. If that is a negative form of response to aspiring for myself and my staff to achieve excellent work whilst being scathing of substandard work and poor backup then I plead guilty.

But anyway, to the question which was a very fair one. I know Paul Thede ( Race Techs founder ) personally and you couldnt hope to meet a nicer guy. But I am at odds with ''you can do it yourself'' and have expressed these concerns directly to him. There are a lot of people who can diligently fit these kits but there are a whole load more that simply, stuff it up.
    To attempt to do so with inadequate tools and the finesse of an elephant is inviting disaster. But if you are prepared to have the correct tools, have experience of detailed intricate assembly and are diligent and FUSSY then yes you can do an acceptable job.
    Frankly there are a lot of precautions and things to watch for that only comes with repetitive experience. It would take many A4 pages to detail every single precaution. We see quite a number of home fitments every year that have come to us for correction, fact. Further to this, the setting chart specs are a guideline only and we have found a number that have not worked so well and have corrected using our suspension dyno before delivery to the customers.
    With the Hyosung improved front fork damping control ( properly set ) will yield a very good improvement, but the first issue to address is to fit front fork springs that are appropriate to your personal height and weight. Just changing the fork springs alone will yield a big improvement to that bike as the stock ones are woefully weak.
    DB, if you want to pm me your regular e-mail adress I can forward you a draft article about the negative consequences of incorrect springing.
    As for the rear shock, I am at odds to know if you can modify that one relative to the ratio of cost to result, as you are looking at springing, piston kit, labour oil and gas. I now have some trade in Ohlins shocks that may be able to be modified to fit at reasonable cost.
    Hope this helps......

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Ah bring back the early 80's when you just added heavier oil and a stack of coins on top of the springs to improve your front end.

If your bike was really fancy it may have had air caps on the top of the forks!
    And oh my giddy Aunt, mullets! If only I still had hair as well..

Personally, I think that without engineers who are forever pushing the boundaries the world would be a poorer place. This is where I think in reality many people struggle to understand, we want improved performance but many are not prepared to accept that we also have to be as smart as the product, so to speak.

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    I think you have to decide what you want to achieve before contemplating such a task. The options as I see them are:
    A) If you just like getting your hands under your bikes skirt then have a play.
    B) If you want the cheapest result, have a play
    C) If you like working through problems and (hopefully)learning by yourself, with no urgency for optimum performance, have a play
    Bearing in mind that with options A-C a substandard result could cost you far more than the cost of a professional install
    D) But, if you want the best result, in the shortest time, pass the responsibilty on to Dr Bob or a simialrly qualified professional.
    From my experience as an occasional racer he got me within the ballpark of optimum settings far quicker than if I had blundered about on my own. As a result what I had thought to be a virtually knackered torn up rear tyre has been rehabilitated to something I'll get a lot more use out of. The guy pays for himself, how good is that?

Bike
    Various
    Don't do it!!! If you feel the need to ask about the job then I would put money on that you will at best end up with suspension that's not as good as it could be (so why spend the money?) or at worst a complete cluster fuck!
    While if you have correct, good quality tools and enough knowledge to be dangerous you could certainly fit them, the problem is that unlike the Emulators they are not really a drop-in, fit and forget type part. The shim stacks need to be built to suit your weight, bike, riding style etc - this is where the so called 'dark art' comes in, or to put in more realistic, simple terms - experience. There are often other modifications that can be made to the fork internals to further improve compliance, performance and those other big words the Dr bandy's about with ease Not to mention spotting worn/damaged/faulty components.
    Also, before you even go that way you'd want to make sure your spring rates are correct in relation to weight & riding style.

Getting the equation right with all the above items is what you pay people like Dr Bob for, and it's worth every penny! I really do believe that when it comes to suspension it pays to get the professionals on the job, you won't regret it.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Ah bring back the early 80's when you just added heavier oil and a stack of coins on top of the springs to improve your front end.

If your bike was really fancy it may have had air caps on the top of the forks!

Ah.....that brings to mind one of Paul Thede's (Race Tech founder) favourite sayings - 'the best you've ridden is the best you know'
    Never a truer word spoken IMHO

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    avanti sprint
    fucken easy as to install emulator kit and spring kit to sv650. and even drilling out the holes is childs play. the most testing bit is undoing the each allen bolt at the bottom of each fork leg without deforming. this just comes down to technique.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    Can I just join that forum and view said instructions ? Or do I have to buy a VFR first ?
    You can just go and have a look. But bear in mind the details apply to a VFR800, not a HyoSilverAndAway.

Cartridge Installation.
    Cartridge fork service.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    Further to this, the setting chart specs are a guideline only and we have found a number that have not worked so well and have corrected using our suspension dyno before delivery to the customers.
    To be honest, Racetech have a reputation for their charts and guidelines being very race-biased. F'rinstance, if you use their suspension guide to work out what fork springs you need, they'll end up WAY too stiff. For me on the VFR, they'd recommend 1.00kg/mm springs, when in fact the best fit would be more like 0.90 (standard is 0.74).
    So... if you're doing it yourself, unless you can get reliable information from someone who's also done it and knows unequivocally what's best for your riding style, roads, weight, etc., the most you're likely to be able to hope for is that it will be better than it was stock (and potentially worse).
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    Quote Originally Posted by t3mp0r4ry nzr View Post
    fucken easy as to install emulator kit and spring kit to sv650. and even drilling out the holes is childs play. the most testing bit is undoing the each allen bolt at the bottom of each fork leg without deforming. this just comes down to technique.
    Yep, emulator kit reasonably simple... fitting pistons/shims to cartridges not so simple. As mentioned above, getting the valving calibration right can be challenging, too

I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    This is where I think in reality many people struggle to understand, we want improved performance but many are not prepared to accept that we also have to be as smart as the product, so to speak.
    This is a continuing problem for the USAF. The 'planes are designed by a guy with a doctorate, built by a guy with a masters degree, flown by a guy with a bachelors degree, and kept in the air by a guy who went to high school.

Without meaning to tell my grandmother how to suck eggs
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    ok found this also - it looks particularly easy to follow.

http://zrxoa.org/webpages/techinfo/shocks/RaceTech.html

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    DB, be aware that the valving specs on the Racetech site can be quite unsuitable for what you might need. I have personally seen one of their rebound valving specs that was slower than the second coming of Christ. I have no idea what practical application it would have. And also bear in mind that oils ain't the same. You may have to do LOTS of trial and error

Thread Information