Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Racetech gold valve install - self-install?

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatjim View Post
    What I think VM is getting tat is that the bits can be fitted by almost anybody. I'm not to sure if he was commenting, or cares, or even could tell about how well it works afterwards.
    Me,I uses a brick an' a chisel to doos me mechanicin'

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by dipshit View Post
    And here lies the problem with your typical NZ motorcycle mechanic.

As a consumer I would want them installed and tuned in a way that would improve the handling of my bike as best as possible in order to actually get value for money from purchasing the bits in the first place.

Too many mechanics think that simply fitting the parts and having no oil leaks and the forks still go up and down when he pushes on the bars afterwards is a successful job and he can go make the bill up.

I understand what you are saying here mate BUT, mechanics are just that Mechanics only, they are not trained Fitters as such, am sure you understand what I am saying there. ( some of them are, out of dedication to there work) NOT JUST A JOB!

A Trained Mechanic to do Fitting work is great, but need the thourough training of the product they are dealing with, so as to maximise the safety and performance of the product.

Race tech build and sell a fantastic product, but have pushed the barrow a little, re, jo blog fitting them! That really is a marketing tool for them to increase sales.

If Robert ( CKT) was not so thourough with there assembly practise, and learned of the potentuall loss issues with just any one fitting them, there product would never have been as great as what it actually is.

I have won NZ Titles using Race tech stuff, and Jason Mccewan only ever liked to race usin Race Tech kitted forks.

So, the product is fantastic, but not maximised untill professionally fitted.
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    GSX-R600 k8
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    So, the product is fantastic, but not maximised untill professionally fitted.
    Precisely. But would this stop a local mechanic from taking the job on if i asked him if he was up to fitting them? What would he care if i got maximum performance or not? So long as his workshop got a job and he gets to make another bill up. He would probably automatically say "yes, we can do that"

Bike
    None
    And here lies the problem with your typical NZ motorcycle mechanic.

As a consumer I would want them installed and tuned in a way that would improve the handling of my bike as best as possible in order to actually get value for money from purchasing the bits in the first place.

Too many mechanics think that simply fitting the parts and having no oil leaks and the forks still go up and down when he pushes on the bars afterwards is a successful job and he can go make the bill up.
    Actually, there is precious little in the training syllabus beyond replacing seals and setting oil level.
    Arguably it has become a trade in itself. Then we can get beyond the deriding self proclaimed jibes.

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    your mum
    Blog Entries
    i herd it was the suspension that makes your ride better and faster but have the right tyres!

MFSC lives on!

Bike
    None
    Precisely. But would this stop a local mechanic from taking the job on if i asked him if he was up to fitting them? What would he care if i got maximum performance or not? So long as his workshop got a job and he gets to make another bill up. He would probably automatically say "yes, we can do that"
    Thankfully theres choice. You can see through the limitations but many think its just a straightforward job, which it is not.
    BTW to anyone reading this, if we do a job ( be it with Ohlins, Race Tech or whatever ) and you subsequently think the selected spring rate is not quite right for you or the valving action is a little ''off'' we correct it at no further charge sans courier costs. Everyone is different with the perception of what they want, therefore valving and springing reccommendations are just a guideline only.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Many have said so, allegedly!!

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    i herd it was the suspension that makes your ride better and faster but have the right tyres!
    Good suspension also means that when you fall off it will be at a higher speed.

Bike
    your mum
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    and good rubber will mean you will have a greater chance of a highside!!!!!!
    i like that idea

MFSC lives on!

Bike
    GSXR450

WOW, is all I can say to that one mate
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    your mum
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    WOW, is all I can say to that one mate
    mmm be nice to have self tunning suspension

MFSC lives on!

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Many have said so, allegedly!!
    Please bring thy magic brick and chisel to track on Saturday to fine tune my steed Robert.Garage 12

Bike
    Street Triple R
    thats cos you're a professional. We amateurs have to use sticks and rocks and fire. A lot of fire.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Thanks RT for the final fine tune and check up on front end at track.
    Can confirm front end is awesome and well worth the money spent on getting it done correctly.Lap times two seconds faster than last long track effort.

Bike
    ktm350sxf

Probably too late comment on this topic but I have done the self install.

Race tech have taken alot of guess work out of it for you when they recommend settings based on your details. This is a good starting point especially if you are doing all the valves at the same time. But, Its not quick nor simple to do the job or analyse what the feedback the bike is giving you means in terms of shim stack arrangement. Race Tech suspension tuning bible is a great insight to all of this.

Thread Information