Thread: GSXR 400 Clutch

Bike
    2000 cbr600, gsxr400 race bike

GSXR 400 Clutch

Hi,

My gsxr400 race bike has a tendancy to burn out clutches and ivejust brought a new kit.
    From the suzuki microfesh it shows that there should be a steel plate between the pressure plate and the last friction plate. However on my bike it dosent have that extra steel, which made me think that would be the cause of the excessive clutch eating.
    When I went to put the new clutch in however, putting in the extra steel left no room on the inner spline for the pressure plate, so it all got a bit confusing.
    So, I was wondering if anyone has done a clutch in a 1992 gsxr400 and weather it had that extra steel or not.
    Any advice greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Bike
    1999 Suzuki SV650S
    I've done the clutch in my gsf400, the ebc catalogue says it uses the same clutch kit as the 1992 gsxr400, so I guess they're the same.
    The microfiche for the gsf400 clutch doesn't show any extra steel plates though. I've attached the relevant page as a pdf.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gsf400 clutch.pdf  

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by erik View Post
    I've done the clutch in my gsf400, the ebc catalogue says it uses the same clutch kit as the 1992 gsxr400, so I guess they're the same.
    The microfiche for the gsf400 clutch doesn't show any extra steel plates though. I've attached the relevant page as a pdf.
    Cheers, Ive seen that fieche aswell but the one the parts man at the suzuki shop looked up for my bike deffinetly had the extra steel, although i think the plates and frictions are the same.
    Ive put it together without the steel but Im a bit concerned it might just burn it out again.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX750-H1~2 (Pre 89 F1)

Re: Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by skaz View Post
    Hi,

My gsxr400 race bike has a tendancy to burn out clutches and ivejust brought a new kit.
    From the suzuki microfesh it shows that there should be a steel plate between the pressure plate and the last friction plate. However on my bike it dosent have that extra steel, which made me think that would be the cause of the excessive clutch eating.
    When I went to put the new clutch in however, putting in the extra steel left no room on the inner spline for the pressure plate, so it all got a bit confusing.
    So, I was wondering if anyone has done a clutch in a 1992 gsxr400 and weather it had that extra steel or not.
    Any advice greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Gidday Skaz,
    I find it incredibly odd that your local Suzuki man had a "fiche" for your bike given that its a "Domestic Market" model... In most instances its only the Distributor that will have info on these models

My suggestion would be to arm yourself with both your chassis & engine numbers & get your local Suzuki man to ID the bike with Suzuki N.Z

I'd hazard a guess & say that the parts you've been supplied from the local Dealers info are not the right ones for your particular model...

A bit more investigation would be well warranted...

Cheers

To finish first - first you must finish... Oh b.t.w, which way doe's Turn 1 go & whats the lap record...

Bike
    Hey mate,
    What do you mean by 'domestic market'? Its a gk76A and im fairly certain they only came out in japan. Its an SP model with a stupidly high 1st gear, apparently good for 120 in 1st, so prehaps they threw an extra plate in there to deal with that. I think I might get the engine number like you suggested and head into the suzuki shop armed with that to try score a bit more info.
    Thanks

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX750-H1~2 (Pre 89 F1)

Re: GSX-R 400

Quote Originally Posted by skaz View Post
    Hey mate,
    What do you mean by 'domestic market' ?
    Gidday Skaz,
    "Domestic Market" is a term used for models that are not exported anywhere outside of Japan...

Cheers

To finish first - first you must finish... Oh b.t.w, which way doe's Turn 1 go & whats the lap record...

Bike
    I just found the full parts sheet on line and it has the same picture of the clutch that I got from the suzuki shop (attached screen shot). I might pul it apart again and see if I can figure out how to make the extra steel plate fit in nicely.
    The link to the parts sheet pdf is here if any one wants it

http://www.korell.dk/Parts_Number_Bo...R400_GK76A.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clutch.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	101832  

Bike
    Thinking
    I changed the clutch plates and burnt it out in one race, why? because I didnt adjust the adjuster, when you put in new plates you need to back of the adjuster otherwise the clutch is kinda engaged and it will burn out in next to no time.
    Thats probably all you need to do.
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    Vespa 550
    Ive got a big hammer to help fit them all together. Whats the worst that can happen??

i seem to rem. adjusting it not long before you burnt it out. but not sure.???

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasievil View Post
    I changed the clutch plates and burnt it out in one race, why? because I didnt adjust the adjuster, when you put in new plates you need to back of the adjuster otherwise the clutch is kinda engaged and it will burn out in next to no time.
    Thats probably all you need to do.
    Cheers, I did have a fiddle with the adjuster before setting off but prehaps I didnt do it properly/didnt tighten it enough. I adjusted it by turning it in until I just felt it tighten against the spring tension then tightened up the locking nut.
    When I put the new plates in the otherday (havnt riden it yet) i had to back it off a fair bit from where it was to get it to stop pressing against the clutch so that might have been a big part of the problem. Ill deffinetly make sure its set right this time and check it often.
    Thanks

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by lostinflyz View Post
    Ive got a big hammer to help fit them all together. Whats the worst that can happen??

i seem to rem. adjusting it not long before you burnt it out. but not sure.???
    I played with it just after we put the clutch that Burt gave me in it but I dont think Ive touched it since.

Bike
    1999 Suzuki SV650S
    The bandit manual says to slacken the clutch cable, then undo the lock nut for the screw adjuster, loosen the screw adjuster, then turn it in till it meets firm resistance, then back it out 1/4 to 1/2 a turn before tightening the lock nut and adjusting the clutch cable to give a bit of free play at the lever.

If the adjuster isn't backed off, I think it'll tend to make the clutch slip and it'll get worse as the plates wear. As the plates wear and get thinner, you've got to back the adjuster out further.

Maybe the extra steel plate in the clutch is to increase the spring pressure and reduce clutch slipping? It'd have the same effect as putting washers behind the clutch springs.

Bike
    cool thanks, previously ive tightened it up till it went firmed and locked it there without backing it off a bit so that mighta been causing the excessive wear. I think you might be right about the extra plate aswell, If I cant get it to fit properly I might put some thicker washers on the springs and see how that goes.

Thread Information