Thread: Wellington - DKW restoration?

Bike
    1959 Manurhin Hobby Scooter

Wellington - DKW restoration?

Hi Guys,

Im new to the boards and newish to the Wellington area. I needed something to do with my time so purchased a 1959 Manurhin (DKW) Hobby scooter. Im hoping that some of you out there could help me out a bit with a few things:

Parts - doest anyone know of anywhere one could purchase spare parts. Im really just looking at the moment for a clutch cable but as I go through the rebuild who knows what I might need.

Seat upholstery - does anyone know of anywhere in Wellington that one can get seats recovered?

Bead blasting/powder coating - does anyone know of anywhere in Wellington that one can do this. The body of this bike is similar to a vespa so perhaps anyone who has a vespa and has had it bead blasted and powder coated might have some comments on where to/not to go for this and an approximate costing.

Trim - I would like to find some rubber for mats and also for rubber trim around the panel work.

Electroplaters - has anyone got any feedback on any electroplaters and whether it is best to have aluminium trim chromed or whether there is another coating that would be better.

Well thats certainly a lot covered. I look forward to some really great answers to help me with my task ahead.

Thanks

Sean

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    An "old-school" bike shop (ie one that knows how to do things as opposed to pulling parts off a shelf) should be able to make up a clutch cable. I'd suggest Boyles in Adelaide Road. If you have the old cable take it along so they can replicate it.

Bristol Motors in Ward Street Upper Hutt do a fair bit of car restoration - they should be able to help you with finding the right people to do upholstery, panel work, etc
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    TF125
    Melbar Cables 174 Eastern Hutt Rd Wingate Wellington 0-4-939 0699 (business was for sale a while ago)

http://www.eslind.co.nz/reconditioni...ting/index.htm

http://www.thorndonrubber.com/

Oh, welcome to the site and don't feed the animals.

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    welcome to KB and good luck with the resto
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    DKW Hobby
    Hi Sean,

Not sure if you're still reading this thread, but I'm also in the process of restoring a DKW Hobby in Wellington. Mine is pretty rusty, but complete. It's all disassembled now and I'm removing rust and trying to find out if there are any show-stoppers. It's needs a full engine rebuild, a lot of body work and the front forks are very pitted/rusty. At present the only thing which I can't see a solution for is how/where to get a new roller-bearing for the bottom end.

I've found quite a bit of information in-line, including a company in Germany who sell a lot of NOS and new parts (including over-sized pistons, top-end bushes, exhausts etc). I also have, exploded diagrams (Manurhin), a workshop manual in German, parts lists etc and have a few leads on an English workshop manual. I've also been told that the NZ Classic Scooter Club as a few Hobby/Manurhin's and may have a workshop manual.

Let me know if any of this info is helpful and I can email it over.

cheers

Malcolm

Bike
    Gilera 180 , ,GB400/650 ,SV650
    have a look at this one

http://magnetos.org/

its the club chairmans one contact him throughthe web site

http://magnetos.org/user/237

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    AUDI bike - sweet
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Manurhin, Guzzi, Motom

Manurhin/DKW Enthusiasts' Group Now Up and Running

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm2010 View Post
    Hi Sean,

Not sure if you're still reading this thread, but I'm also in the process of restoring a DKW Hobby in Wellington. Mine is pretty rusty, but complete. It's all disassembled now and I'm removing rust and trying to find out if there are any show-stoppers. It's needs a full engine rebuild, a lot of body work and the front forks are very pitted/rusty. At present the only thing which I can't see a solution for is how/where to get a new roller-bearing for the bottom end.

I've found quite a bit of information in-line, including a company in Germany who sell a lot of NOS and new parts (including over-sized pistons, top-end bushes, exhausts etc). I also have, exploded diagrams (Manurhin), a workshop manual in German, parts lists etc and have a few leads on an English workshop manual. I've also been told that the NZ Classic Scooter Club as a few Hobby/Manurhin's and may have a workshop manual.

Let me know if any of this info is helpful and I can email it over.

cheers

Malcolm
    Hello,
    We have just started a web site and interest group for the Manurhin and
    DKW Hobby scooters and have made available several manuals and much
    more information will be uploaded soon.
    Any enthusiasts will be very welcome. Various forum traffic on parts etc.
    are already up and our site creator, Tim Morley has a very interesting blog
    on a Manurhin Beltomatic he is restoring...in fact he got his engine running
    less than one hour ago...17 Oct. !
    Our site is at www.manurhinscooter.co.uk.
    Some manuals and article under Documents and more on the members'
    group site.
    We are looking for a copy of the workshop manual to make available for all
    so if anyone knows a source, please shout.
    Best wishes to all.
    David G, near Bristol, UK

Bike
    Honda Spacy ch125 1987

dkw/manurhin piston supplier

Hi my name is Roy from UK, I have just joined site. I am a member of Manurhin/DKW Interest Group and the Vintage Motor Scooter Club in the UK. The Interest Group has no membership fee and has manurels/parts lists for DKW and Manurhin scooters and good info. I was interested to a reply from Sean to malcolm 2010 quote 1129906537 mentioned that he had found a German supplier of pistons + size. Can you forward the supplers name/contact details to me thanks Roy.

Bike
    Honda Spacy ch125 1987

Manurhin/DKW Pistons

Hi Malcom would you let me have the name of German co that has asuppy of piston + sizes and other bits thanks Roy.

Bike
    Honda Spacy ch125 1987

DKW Pistons

Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    welcome to KB and good luck with the resto
    Hi Malcolm your thread on 12/11/10 is very interesting as I am looking for a DKW 45mm piston. In your thread you said you had found a German supplier of pistons, I would be great if you would send me the info. I am sending a spare DKW engine to a guy in our group. He lives in Hawks Bay and was left a Hobby as part of a deseased estate but it had engine parts missing, and jammed piston. I live in Peterborough UK and a member of the DKW/Manurhin Interest Group and the Vintage Motor Scooter Club. Please send info to my email address royhoney@live.co.uk thanks Roy.

Bike
    Honda Spacy ch125 1987

Manurhin piston/parts

Hi Malcolm I am restoring a Manurhin 1961, and I am sending a DKW engine to a guy in Hawkes Bay which needs a new piston/rebore. Your reply to spud _muffin you said that you found a German supplier of pistons and parts. Would you send me the info to my email address royhoney@live.co.uk as I am finding it hard to get a handle on this site thanks Roy.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    This member called Malcolm has not posted since March 2011, more than two years ago, so probably has dropped off the radar from this forum.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    Dkw hobby

Dkw hobby, Hokitika

Hi guys, I am just in the very final stages of restoring my Dkw hobby in the south island and really need some parts to finish off my bike. I'm after....

Front brake cable and actuating arm.
    Passenger seat base
    Tacho wheel assy
    Rear manurhin badge for body

Any help would be hugely appreciated 😃

Thread Information