View Poll Results: Have you been caught for being too loud yet?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I got fined/green stickered

1 0.49%
  • Yes but I got warned

11 5.37%
  • No

137 66.83%
  • No, and my bike is standard.

56 27.32%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Targeting bike with loud exhausts

Bike
    Speed Triple
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    And from personal experience it's been shown to be bullshit

well then feel free to use quiet pipes.

Though next time your on the open road in a modern car take the time to gauge the volume of any bikes around you, In my 2007 Hilux I heard most, But I heard the louder bikes sooner and was able to "know" where they were by the sound.

Loud pipes, great stuff, unless stupidly loud.

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Quote Originally Posted by Grub View Post
    You want motorcycling to get a bad name? You want ALL motorcyclist to be tarred with the "boy racer" label? You want ALL bikers to be thought of as a big fat hairy anti-social sub-class? Go right ahead and ride noisy bikes making the maximum noise from open pipes and open throttle.
    My experience is the ones most like boy racers are the ones in matching leathers and excessive speed... not noisy bikes.

I have had 10 or more bikes show up at my place at various times of the day, no complaints from the neighbors even though they are very tight units. I've had several bikes over the last year including one with SHORTENED drag pipes. Absolutely ruthless sounding bike, no complaints still.

So I guess loud is only irritating for those around if you are riding or using your bike in a manner that will wake or piss off people.

I will admit though, when I come home from work at 11pm on a week night I pull the clutch and flick the engine off and coast up the drive (two walls on each side of drive makes for very very loud bike)

Only problems I've heard of in my area is... the people in bored car exhausts - skylines, and civics and familias.

At least one good thing can be said about loud bikes. I had a flat of boy racers across my drive and those ass holes were revving their motors at like 7 in the morning (i often work evenings). After them doing that more times than I can tolerate over the last few weeks, I got up that morning, opened my garage. Then I wheeled my bike (the one with the shortened drags) just so its past the threshold of the garage, turned it on and REVVVED the engine VERY hard. I then turned off and wheeled my bike back into the garage and closed the door.

Never have had a problem with their fucking noisy cars since
    Find out more at www.unluckyones.co.nz

Bike
    2008 Harley-Davidson Nightster 1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Cross Rider View Post
    Hows the Nightser performing? My wife is keen to get one at some stage.
    Nightster good at this stage. Although not riding it as yet - certainly looking forward to it

Bike
    2006 z1000 - Devil
    i know this isn't a sport bike forum but loud is quite subjective.. i mean my old zxr250 was louder than my zx6r even with the vince exhaust, but the 250 sounded like it was going to explode and the 600 sounds like its going to eat the nearest cage driver that looks at it sideways and spit out the emblems...

Or are you meaning so loud your vision distorts? cause i reckon those hogs with loud pipes and no baffles that make windows rattle at 200m are SLIGHTLY over the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mully
    The price of biking is eternal vigilance. Switch off for a second and the bastard will bite you.
    You can't save the fallen, direct the lost or motivate the lazy.

Bike
    2008 klr and Triumph Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by shoshin View Post
    Nightster good at this stage. Although not riding it as yet - certainly looking forward to it
    Saw a pair of black short pipes on a nightster last week in aus. Sounded and looked great. The rider was of small stature and looked perfect for the bike. I was doing 110ks on the freeway and he passed me, or should I say cruised past me easy. Cool bike.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by shoshin View Post
    Saw one on a post put in by a Ch-ch Harley owner on an American site, not yours by chance? - was outside a dealers in Ch-ch.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    Have just heard that three bike from around here have been ticketed for being too noisy....

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by speights_bud View Post
    Have just heard that three bike from around here have been ticketed for being too noisy....
    And if you get done for too much noise and have to get your zorst certified you drop a level in allowable noise...don't forget THAT little fish-hook.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2012 Victory Highball
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    And if you get done for too much noise and have to get your zorst certified you drop a level in allowable noise...don't forget THAT little fish-hook.
    Oh nice

And I just got my slip-ons today....

It might be worth forking out for the objective test just to get the sticker and put all doubt to bed.

I wonder if you fail the objective test - does your bike get entered into a database or anything??
    Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    i tested my GPX250 pipes with an unofficial hand held type meter, came out at 98dB, it was just after i'd built full stainless pipes for it and fairly open can. then measured Gixxer 4 Evers bike whick has full arrow race headers/can/system and it came back at 97 dB. I think he's going to get it properly tested just to be sure so the results may be interesting

Bike
    1997 Moto Guzzi California
    Just spent the princely sum of $80 on some straight exhaust tube and clamps so's I can hear the mighty Guzzi roar. Gotta love that V twin sound, don't think I'll be taking them off after listening to that music. Might need a re-tune though, she back fires a bit on decelaration and one pipe showing a different sooting pattern.

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoKuzzi View Post
    Just spent the princely sum of $80 on some straight exhaust tube and clamps so's I can hear the mighty Guzzi roar. Gotta love that V twin sound, don't think I'll be taking them off after listening to that music. Might need a re-tune though, she back fires a bit on decelaration and one pipe showing a different sooting pattern.
    $80 for new pipes?

Please tell me more

Aftermarket pipes for my bike start at $600 and up!

Edit -

I seem to be the only one on that poll to have been fined for having a loud bike.
    And when that happened, it was only when it was being discussed to crack down on loud everything (not just cars)

Bike
    1997 Moto Guzzi California
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Rider View Post
    $80 for new pipes?

Please tell me more

Aftermarket pipes for my bike start at $600 and up!

Edit -

I seem to be the only one on that poll to have been fined for having a loud bike.
    And when that happened, it was only when it was being discussed to crack down on loud everything (not just cars)
    Pitstop Takanini, nice man there sold me 2 * 0.85m lenghths of 41mm od aluminium anodised exhaust tube $42, plus 2 clamps and 2 hanging brackets $38, ( thought they were a bit expensive, but avoided the need for welding ) and expanded the ends of each pipe to the right dia for slip ons free of charge. 1 hours work at home with a drill and grinder and hey presto that sweet guzzi rumble. Ok, it looks a bit industrial but I could paint the tube and tidy it up. The main object of the exercise was to get the sound for the least cost. If I decide to keep her that way I will keep a look out for some cheap stainless tube and go with that. Still got the original mufflers and brackets for WOF time.

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoKuzzi View Post
    Pitstop Takanini, nice man there sold me 2 * 0.85m lenghths of 41mm od aluminium anodised exhaust tube $42, plus 2 clamps and 2 hanging brackets $38, ( thought they were a bit expensive, but avoided the need for welding ) and expanded the ends of each pipe to the right dia for slip ons free of charge. 1 hours work at home with a drill and grinder and hey presto that sweet guzzi rumble. Ok, it looks a bit industrial but I could paint the tube and tidy it up. The main object of the exercise was to get the sound for the least cost. If I decide to keep her that way I will keep a look out for some cheap stainless tube and go with that. Still got the original mufflers and brackets for WOF time.
    Ah yeap. I did that on my other bike

Wouldn't cut it on my current. The muffles aren't slip on/off ones.

And I'd have to include chroming costs in it all.

Bike
    1998 YZF1000 R1, 2001 YZ250FN, 1981 MT50
    My 98 R1 has the standard Stainless / Carbon pipe and fits well within the rule book. I don't think the sound of an inline four should be amplified for the consumption of the general public as a twin tends to sound much better with a set of two brothers or Yoshi pipes. I like my bike quiet so I can sneak up on my mates while on the rides and blast past them before they even know whats happened.
    THE ROLE OF THE INFANTRY

"To seek out and close with the enemy; to kill or capture him; to seize and hold ground; to repel attack, by day or night, regardless of season, weather or terrain."

Thread Information