Thread: Motard style 250's

Bike
    1987 Nifty 50

Motard style 250's

Greetings people

Lately I have been thinking of getting myself onto a purpose built motard, or at least a dirt bike with road tyres sort of thing. Being on my restricted, it can only be a 250cc or under. Any one have any advice/experience etc on which bikes are good/lemons, what to look out for etc. Any information would be much appreciated

Chairs

Dion
    "Not one day that we are here on this earth has been promised to us, so make the most of every day as if it was your last, and every breath ,as if it were the same"

Bike
    SW-125R(F4-TF125), ZXRD400, RD250LC
    Blog Entries
    Try a KLX250. Called a D-Tracker in motard clothes.

Bike
    Arse Bandit
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about as well.

Try looking at XR250r's. They look awesome as well. Sadly they only have a speedo in instruments department, and some idiot lights. They come in Motard trim as well.

That's about all I know, any REAL info about the bike in the way of handling, power and such would be appreciated by me as well.

Lounge Suites,

Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    if you have a face afterwards well... that depends how you act...

Bike
    1987 Nifty 50
    yeah I have the brochure for the XR250L here, and that looks a goer. Just need to find one to get a test ride on one!
    Thanks for the info
    "Not one day that we are here on this earth has been promised to us, so make the most of every day as if it was your last, and every breath ,as if it were the same"

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    If you want a KLX250, go for the D-Tracker. Not only does it look awesome, but it has 10hp more than the import KLX's from Japan. In Japan, the KLX's have has their engines restricted so they have if I remember correctly about 23hp whilst the D-Tracker has 33hp.

Yamaha have released this year a road legal YZ125. If I hadn't brought the CBR, I would've got that if I were lucky .

The D-Tracker is roughly 8000. Masterton Motorcycles when I was last there had one that they fitted with trail tyres and had the road ones aside, and you got them for no extra cash

The YZ, I'm not sure if you can get it in NZ yet, would be about 12000, possibly 11000.

If you want the power of a 2 stroke, other models worth searching for would be the RMX250 and the KDX200-220. You can get them road legal allthough nice condition examples are rare and pricey (some of the really crappy ones, the dealers ask 6000)

As for 4 strokes, there are many enduro bikes that I think you can get road versions of i.e the Huskys and KTMs

Hope that helps

Bike
    1987 Nifty 50
    Thanks for that. I am probably only going to be able to afford a second or more hand bike, so any info on older bikes would be cool also.

Bike
    Arse Bandit
    So you think the XR might be for you? To be honest, I want you to get one, or at least test ride one, to see what they are like, so I can also make a good desicion.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    if you have a face afterwards well... that depends how you act...

Bike
    RC36, WR, RS250, GSXR1000, Duke250, IZH
    Road and Sport have (had) a D-Tracker when I was there, after coming off race style bikes it's a bit of a change, feck all power (top speed 120ish) butcool fun to ride, bit strange to be riding a dirt bike and the knobblies aren't rolling under on the road. suspension is set really soft so wheelies and stoppies are very smooth. from memory they had $6,500 on it, and only 800k's on the clock.

Thread Information