Thread: Help/advice needed reg XJ600S camchain

Bike
    2003,Kawasaki ZX-9R

Unhappy Help/advice needed reg XJ600S camchain

Going to pick up bike from Hamilton tomorrow.On trademe seller said no upcoming work reqd.After speaking to him on phone said I would check out bike and take for test ride before parting with cash.He mentioned it had a slight rattle when cold which went away as it warmed up,possibly the camchain.Also said people said it could go on indefinitely before needing sorting.Looked at manual(ta T.W.R.) and it has a automatic camchain tensioner which means either the camchain is worn to it's limit or the tensioner is sticking.Spoke to bike mechanic ,he said expensive to replace.Starting to worry,anybody got an XJ600 who could give me advice what to do? I like the bike but haven't got extra cashfor costly repairs.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    PM Mr Frosty he's somewhat of a guru on those XJ things. My impression is that they're not merely bullet proof but 15 inch shell proof and even tactical nuclear bomb proof. But I guess everything wears out sooner or later.

EDIT: Oh, and obligatory pointing out that PROPER bikes don't have all those silly cams and camchains and valves and other unnecessary complications.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Most of the cam tensioners on bikes do rattle when cold (all the oil is at the bottom of the motor) and panic shouldn't set in yet. Take the BIKE to a mechanic when you get it. Find a workshop manual for your model, and with a little (online) advice, do it yourself. On the test ride, visit the bike mechanic. (warn him you are coming...)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2003,Kawasaki ZX-9R
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    PM Mr Frosty he's somewhat of a guru on those XJ things. My impression is that they're not merely bullet proof but 15 inch shell proof and even tactical nuclear bomb proof. But I guess everything wears out sooner or later.

EDIT: Oh, and obligatory pointing out that PROPER bikes don't have all those silly cams and camchains and valves and other unnecessary complications.
    Thanks I'll PM Frosty

Bike
    2003,Kawasaki ZX-9R
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Most of the cam tensioners on bikes do rattle when cold (all the oil is at the bottom of the motor) and panic shouldn't set in yet. Take the BIKE to a mechanic when you get it. Find a workshop manual for your model, and with a little (online) advice, do it yourself. On the test ride, visit the bike mechanic. (warn him you are coming...)
    It's going to be kinda hard to find a bike mechanic in an unknown town (Hamilton) on a Sunday afternoon.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    If the rattle is still bad... or has not improved, after 15 minutes of riding, walk away.

Bike
    2003,Kawasaki ZX-9R
    If the rattle is still bad... or has not improved, after 15 minutes of riding, walk away.
    Thanks for the advice FJ

Bike
    2003,Kawasaki ZX-9R
    Can't get hold of FROSTY for some reason,any other XJ owners out their with anymore info on what to look for,Cheers.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    message sent to your e mail.
    call me to discuss --8375005
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Have a look here
    http://xjbikes.com/

If you do a search there are quite a few threads on cam chain adjustment and replacement

How many Km has the bike done?

The XJ motors are pretty bulletproof and do high km if they are maintained properly
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    2003,Kawasaki ZX-9R

Unhappy

Hi guys ,thanks for all the help.Well today was one big waste of time.After dragging the poor wife and kids down to Hamilton with the intention of riding back I discovered upon inspection said bike in " excellent condition for age,requiring no fixing or repair ,having no leaks" :The camchain was niosey even when engine hot,the engine leaks oil,the rear brake disc and pads are munted,the front disc not far behind.The left front fork seal starting to leak.The front cooling fins snapped off from drops on both sides,the fairing cracked and the list go on.I suggested seller should not be so economical with the truth and take better photos .
    Dreams of riding off in the sunset up in smoke and a beautiful day wasted/ruined for all.Damn stuck with the GN for a bit longer.
    Lessons learned,as with any vehical must inspect and test ride first.People can't be trusted and if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is'nt.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howdamnhard View Post
    Hi guys ,thanks for all the help.Well today was one big waste of time.After dragging the poor wife and kids down to Hamilton with the intention of riding back I discovered upon inspection said bike in " excellent condition for age,requiring no fixing or repair ,having no leaks" :The camchain was niosey even when engine hot,the engine leaks oil,the rear brake disc and pads are munted,the front disc not far behind.The left front fork seal starting to leak.The front cooling fins snapped off from drops on both sides,the fairing cracked and the list go on.I suggested seller should not be so economical with the truth and take better photos .
    Dreams of riding off in the sunset up in smoke and a beautiful day wasted/ruined for all.Damn stuck with the GN for a bit longer.
    Lessons learned,as with any vehical must inspect and test ride first.People can't be trusted and if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is'nt.
    The day wasn't wasted,time with family is never wasted...next (???) time find someone on this site to have a look at it FIRST.
    Welcome to the real world... look after the GN and it will look after YOU...

Bike
    2003,Kawasaki ZX-9R
    The day wasn't wasted,time with family is never wasted...next (???) time find someone on this site to have a look at it FIRST.
    Welcome to the real world... look after the GN and it will look after YOU...
    True ,true.Lesson learned.

Thread Information