Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: AUT: New motorcycle parking

Bike
    VFR
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    It has been really bad in there and along St Paul Street the last few days. Monday was horrible, there were bikes everywhere, an R6 was parked horizontally blocking in 5 bikes/scooters.

Hopefully when the colder weather comes people will stop riding into uni everyday; means more parking spaces for me
    Helps to get into work at 7:30 in the morning

Be more room without those 7-10 bikes that never leave, however There's a blue GSXR750 i think it is that's been there since like, October

Bike
    Ducati 944
    Quote Originally Posted by dekodE_ View Post
    I got a warning today as I regularly use the AUT Carpark for my scooter, apparently I didn't park in the marked areas. I was well within the lines. Simon Mowatt needs a set of glasses.
    Well lets see. I know for a fact Simon worked for over 2 years to establish this bike park and is currently working on new developments for your benefit. He does not use or need glasses, and if you were not over the lines then you did not get a warning. If you got a warning you were over the line - maybe check your own glasses.

It is in all our interest to ensure everyone follows the rules - or you risk losing this facility permamently.

If anyone thinks there are bikes which are abusing the facility PM me the details here. I am aware there are some staff members in every working day at 6:00am and who leave after 8:00pm who appear to never leave, but actually are working very hard. I will follow up on these issues.

Any other issues post here, PM me here or email Simon-who-posts-the-friendly-reminders.

Qoute of the day: "you can give people the best facility in the country for free, but you can't make them grateful"
    Motorcycle songlist:
    Best blast soundtrack:Born to be wild (Steppenwolf)
    Best sunny ride: Runnin' down a dream (Tom Petty)
    Don't want to hear ...: Slip, slidin' away, Caught by the Fuzz or Bam Thwok!(Paul Simon/Supergrass/The Pixies)

Bike
    Ducati 944
    There is a lot of work in St Paul st at the moment, and it looks as though BOTH council bike parks are out of action. Next week in term time this will put the WL Wilson facility under a lot of pressure, and although this will be difficult for us I am asking you all to assit in keeping the facility in order and only parking in the marked spaces. If there is not space available you will have to go elsewhere - as would anyone finding a full carpark.

Thanks in advance
    Motorcycle songlist:
    Don't want to hear ...: Slip, slidin' away, Caught by the Fuzz or Bam Thwok!(Paul Simon/Supergrass/The Pixies)

Bike
    Ducati 944
    Quote Originally Posted by 90s View Post
    There is a lot of work in St Paul st at the moment, and it looks as though BOTH council bike parks are out of action.
    The generators have gone, street parking back in operation, although works are continiung on St Pauls.
    Motorcycle songlist:

Bike
    Ducati 944
    OK, just to update and clarify on the parking - this is not a facility you can store your bike if you live nearby.

I posted in another forum on here that is was OK to sometimes leave your bike overnight and suddenly there are loads of bikes not moving - some parked outside of the marked areas. Any abuse of the facility like this and your bike will be removed at your expense and risk and you will be banned from it.

The park is provided for staff and students coming to work. Don't abuse it.

Thanks for spreading the message.
    Motorcycle songlist:

Bike
    Suzuki GSXR750 K5

Unhappy

OK, just to update and clarify on the parking - this is not a facility you can store your bike if you live nearby.

I posted in another forum on here that is was OK to sometimes leave your bike overnight and suddenly there are loads of bikes not moving - some parked outside of the marked areas. Any abuse of the facility like this and your bike will be removed at your expense and risk and you will be banned from it.

The park is provided for staff and students coming to work. Don't abuse it.

Thanks for spreading the message.
    Eeep, I'm that wombat with the blue GSXR750. I live in the student apartments and keep my bike parked there sorry fellas
    Could anyone point me to a covered place I can keep my bike near AUT?

Bike
    Ducati 944
    Quote Originally Posted by Tick View Post
    Eeep, I'm that wombat with the blue GSXR750. I live in the student apartments and keep my bike parked there sorry fellas
    Could anyone point me to a covered place I can keep my bike near AUT?
    Thanks Tick, good on on you.

On another note several people have told me that some bikes are not owned by AUT staff/students, and have even told me that they have followed - yes followed - the owners so they know for sure that they are right. Well I have looked into a few of these cases and in each case they have turned out to be AUT students. Do PM any issues and I will investigate, but don't be so quick to judge unless you know the facts.
    Motorcycle songlist:

Bike
    Ducati 944
    A welcome to anyone joining us from the AUT Motorbike club. I hear a new fb site has been made to help people find this forum. Just so you know complaints have been filed about the behaviour of some users from car users and pedestrians which is not good for us. Use your common sense guys, and also stay only within the marked areas. I know its full at times, but if its full you need to park elsewhere. Its a free facility and has a limit. Saying that you are not obstructing anyone does not cut it - follow the guidelines or park elsewhere.

I am working on capacity increases but it takes time. Estates put an enormous about of resources and behind-the-scenes effort into running this, so have patience.

Consider this - how much do you think AUT would make by reverting these spaces for cars? Its a financial, adminsitrative and organisation effort to maintain this so do your best to support us.

Anyone leaving through the in door will be banned. Anyone swearing at AUT staff at the facility will be bannned. Your choice.
    Motorcycle songlist:

Bike
    ZZR250 & 995i
    A welcome to anyone joining us from the AUT Motorbike club. I hear a new fb site has been made to help people find this forum. Just so you know complaints have been filed about the behaviour of some users from car users and pedestrians which is not good for us. Use your common sense guys, and also stay only within the marked areas. I know its full at times, but if its full you need to park elsewhere. Its a free facility and has a limit. Saying that you are not obstructing anyone does not cut it - follow the guidelines or park elsewhere.

I am working on capacity increases but it takes time. Estates put an enormous about of resources and behind-the-scenes effort into running this, so have patience.

Consider this - how much do you think AUT would make by reverting these spaces for cars? Its a financial, adminsitrative and organisation effort to maintain this so do your best to support us.

Anyone leaving through the in door will be banned. Anyone swearing at AUT staff at the facility will be bannned. Your choice.

Hi - I couple of quick questions - but FIRST I really appreciate all the work you and whom ever else has done to get secure this option for AUT staff and students. I have now relinquished my paid park and have ridden my bike in for the last 2 years - saving so much time,money and contributed to the reduction in traffic congestion for other motorists .

Given the increase in use, particularly a large increase in the number of scooter users & a number of bikes who do seem to be left overnight regularly (I am one who is sometimes in at 6am and leaving after 9pm and still see bikes in the same spot for several days, even 1 in the corner with a bike cover on it) - perhaps a register of rego's or stickers for each year confirming that the users are AUT students or staff. I have seen people park then head up Simmonds St or down Simmonds St possibly to U of A.

I also have a issue with some of the poor parking recently - once again not to pick on scooter users but i have often seen 2 'new' scooters parked in a way taking 4 bike parks so as to not get knocked (perhaps due to the excessively wide wing mirrors?) AND/OR bikes parked in mixed directions , reverse or forward facing - not fussed which way - but when one bucks the trend often the lean created means reduces parking space available to others.

Thanks again for the opportunity to be young once again an ride a bike to work knowing there is a safe place under-cover I can park..

PS - I also commute between the city campus and the north shore there are several nooks and crannies that have bike parks marked on them but they seem to be all over the place - are you aware of any plans to have an under-cover option for Motor-bike parking on the North Shore - Even a reasonably large lean-to added onto a current building would add a little more protection to us riders.

Happy to help with any of the above ideas.

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by Layoutman View Post

See bikes in the same spot for several days, even 1 in the corner with a bike cover on it)
    This bike/scooter has been around the area for the past few months. It's been in that corner for quite a while and in the sunnier days at the start of the semester it was in the outside parks.

register of rego's or stickers for each year confirming that the users are AUT students or staff. I have seen people park then head up Simmonds St or down Simmonds St possibly to U of A.
    I like the sound of this - Not sure how hard it would be to implement?

Bike
    Ducati 944
    Hi, thanks for your supportive message. I have edited your post into 4 questions, answered below:

Quote Originally Posted by Layoutman View Post
    Hi - I couple of quick questions -
    1) perhaps a register of rego's or stickers for each year confirming that the users are AUT students or staff.
    2) I have seen people park then head up Simmonds St or down Simmonds St possibly to U of A.
    3) I also have a issue with some of the poor parking recently
    4) are you aware of any plans to have an under-cover option for Motor-bike parking on the North Shore
    1. This is something that we have considered at times but for a variety of reasons have decided not to implement at this time. It remains a possibliity for the future. For now we have started a new scheme (outlined on posters I have put up temporarily until better ones are made) whereby the coordinator or security will request bike riders to confirm their student/staff creditials with estates if requested, or be banned.
    2. I am sure there are a few abusers, and I have removed some previously, but recently I have followed up on one or two cases like this and they have turned out to be legit students. I will continue to follow up cases when I get a chance.
    3. As I have often said, sometimes there was another bike there when people parked, and when it goes it leaves the others looking as though they parked poorly. However, some are incosidrately parked, and I will advise people where I can. Bikes of different sizes etc don't always fit so well together ...
    4. I am following up on this and will post when I have some more info. I become out of touch with some of the overall transport developments lately.

Hope this helps
    Motorcycle songlist:

Bike
    Ducati 944
    This bike/scooter has been around the area for the past few months. It's been in that corner for quite a while and in the sunnier days at the start of the semester it was in the outside parks.
    I've been in touch with this one and it moved twice - once to park at an odd angle I imagine to not go over the yellow line an inch, then properly when I said that it was OK to overhand the line a little - but not be totally out of any spaces as it was the previous week for 2 days. This guy is on a warning at the moment.

I like the sound of this - Not sure how hard it would be to implement?
    Answered this one in the previous post - answer - too hard at the moment. Don't suggest it isn't!
    Motorcycle songlist:

Bike
    Ducati 944
    4. I am following up on this and will post when I have some more info. I become out of touch with some of the overall transport developments lately.
    A review has just been completed on parking issues and there will be some updates soon on this. When I have the details I will post an update here. For now though it appears that there is no covered parking on the North Shore.
    Motorcycle songlist:

Bike
    ZZR250 & 995i
    Hi, thanks for your supportive message. I have edited your post into 4 questions, answered below:

1. This is something that we have considered at times but for a variety of reasons have decided not to implement at this time. It remains a possibliity for the future. For now we have started a new scheme (outlined on posters I have put up temporarily until better ones are made) whereby the coordinator or security will request bike riders to confirm their student/staff creditials with estates if requested, or be banned.
    2. I am sure there are a few abusers, and I have removed some previously, but recently I have followed up on one or two cases like this and they have turned out to be legit students. I will continue to follow up cases when I get a chance.
    3. As I have often said, sometimes there was another bike there when people parked, and when it goes it leaves the others looking as though they parked poorly. However, some are incosidrately parked, and I will advise people where I can. Bikes of different sizes etc don't always fit so well together ...

Hope this helps
    1) Great and understand happy to email if requested
    2) Understand - but wonder how many may be AUT students living in apartments nearby and this is their garage?
    3) Agreed - more noting the large number of across the line parks of late. (Monday was a clear example of this around 12pm)
    4) Saw the below post - and its a pity as I look forward to a time where we don't have to search out a 'legal' provided park in one of the 3 very small locations provided at different ends of the campus. I'm kind against the idea of finding a space space anywhere as it looks aesthetically bad and squeezing between allocated car parks to small spaces non-marked often lead to a bike on the ground or knocked/damaged wing mirrors of flaring.

Once again appreciate what you have organised.

Bike
    Ducati 944

New contact details

Hi all,
    some new changes in process, might take a while and will post here when I have news. Until then there is a new email for you to contact me or my colleagues if there are any matters relating to motorbike parking at AUT:

motorbike@aut.ac.nz

Our new policy is also that if requested - and ONLY if requested - you need to establish your AUT creditials by emailing them to the motorbike@aut.ac.nz email. Failure to comply within 48hrs may result in a loss of privelege. I have been following up some of your queries and you will see some bikes have moved on, whilst others have been found to be OK.
    Motorcycle songlist:

Thread Information