Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brake trouble

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by trademe900 View Post
    took it to honda shop... it's fucked. not only would it need seals but the pistons are fucked themselves.

Got another caliper on the way now .

To close things off i'll just say that all in all i'm pleased i even looked into this... I'm sure it could have easilly been overlooked and then i possibly could have had a proper seizure while riding. Just thinking about it, i could have braked, brakes wouldnt release/lock rear wheel and someone could have taken me out from behind... game over.
    Precisely why I counselled you against trying to do it yourself, early in this thread. Some things are too important to leave to chance etc.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    rego on hold nick smith special
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all, I will definately refer back to this thread when it comes to bleeding the system with the new caliper.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Better still ask first... help may not be far away.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Crashed it.
    took it to honda shop... it's fucked. not only would it need seals but the pistons are fucked themselves.
    In what way are the pistons 'fucked'? Badly scored? Corroded? Damaged or corroded seal grooves? It's rare for pistons to be fucked without inept mechanic intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry74 View Post
    Use heaps of CRC Brakeleen, it evaporates, takes all the muck off with a wipe.
    And fucks the rubber seals nicely too. (not getting at you, just trying to be informative)

If you read the can carefully: "Protect rubber brake components and painted surfaces from overspray" or something to that effect, as I recall. The best way to clean calipers is hot soapy water and a toothbrush. Tedious, but effective and safe.
    If it wasn't for a concise set of rules, we might have to resort to common sense!

Bike
    Suzuki RF600R
    I was talking about the disc and pads.

Easier to remove it all from the main body of it

Bike
    Honda PC800
    shit this is such painful reading.
    Call me--bring ya bike here--lets get it sorted.
    -I live at work -Literally and Im in Henderson
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    really frosty? you think you can fix the caliper? Well i'm very keen- thanks.

The pistons are fucked in which way? All of what you said - corroded, scored, fucked seals- the works. also because the front of them are ever so slightly deformed apparently. They both do not move by hand. Can't even get it a quarter in with hand force. Jammed solid.

Bike
    Too many to count
    ok, thread is too long so i didn't read, but i got the impression no-one aswered the question in a helpful manner

now i do realise you've bought a new one, but now i know why you've done that it's kinda painful. this is literally a handful of $6 seals and some some soapy water (or brakecleen) to fix

and don't be afraid to ask for a hand if you don't know what you're doing. many guys will come round to give you a hand, or just drop by frosty's, OR come to the SMC fix it days that i told you about

Hi all,

First time with all this.

VFR400 NC30- Found my rear wheel wasnt spinning too well and ive found out the rear brake is dragging.

I took the caliper off to inpect.

1. The small pole that the pads slide on was all rusted and gummed up... pads were hard to budge along this slider... i guess that is part of the problem. So should i clean this slider and just regrease it?
    do not grease the brakes! clean them and leave them. crc, oil etc etc will stop them functioning and root the seals.

you may put an anticorrosive grease thing (i forget what it's called, but i think it's silicone based?) on the threads to stop it all rusting together

2. While i had it off i decided to inspect the piston and rest of caliper. Protruding part of the pistons are gummed up I saw. So i pumped the rear brake pedal to get the pistons out. Only one came out- the other is still in there and hard to move. How do i get this remaining piston out with no hydraulic pressure left?
    stop the free cylinder moving and pump up some pressure. i've had a similar probelm with one of my fronts - had to hold 3 pots back to free the one.

you need to remove all the cylinders and seals, clean whole unit and replace seals. donw

3. Once i have cleaned the pistons, should i grease up the cylinders? What do i do that with?
    do NOT grease your brakes!

4. How do i put them back in? Just force them with hands?
    force? "reinstall"

yes with hands

5. This caliper didnt seem to have any pad springs like it is supposed to- what does that mean?
    pad springs? wtf?

maybe you'll have a scratch pad to make a squeal when pads run low... usually it's been lost though

6. Should the pistons retract back after pressing the brake pedal/be easy to push back or does the force of the brake disk spinning just push the pads/pistons away?
    the pressure drops and the pads just lightly brush the disc

7. Once i get it back together- do i just put it back on and fill up the reservoir with brake fluid, and then bleed the system?
    yep

8.Anything else that could be contributing to the problem? Shall i throw some grease in the axle and bearing before putting wheel on?

Thanks in advance.
    should fix it nicely.

assuming it is the correct grease, yes, bearing like grease and those ones are expensive.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    hey man... that would be very helpful but the thing is- i took it to a shop, they said it was totally fucked... piston seized well and truly... piston ends fucked amd corroded, sides corroded. I couldnt even generate any pressure to pump it out of the seizure. I got the impression i should just buy a new caliper since i wouldnt have known how to clean it properly, treat the corrosion etc. Thanks anyway.

After fitting my new brake and adjusting that bloody brake light switch it should be all ready to register and warrant for the road.

Bike
    Too many to count
    sweet as then

how much did the new brake cost?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    175 a. Has to be done i guess.

Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350

Brake pistons

really frosty? you think you can fix the caliper? Well i'm very keen- thanks.

The pistons are fucked in which way? All of what you said - corroded, scored, fucked seals- the works. also because the front of them are ever so slightly deformed apparently. They both do not move by hand. Can't even get it a quarter in with hand force. Jammed solid.
    The pistons get rust under the chrome plating and it is all over for them. There are aftermarket alternatives.
    Alternaively, do you know of anyone with a lathe (like me for instance...). I made new brake pistons for my RD350LC from stainless steel. Made around 3 pairs from a $20 bar of 316. Might still have some left if you can't get replacements.
    Geoff
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

Bike
    Too many to count
    that's a bloody good idea!

what sort of accuracy/tolerance is on those things?

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbyclist View Post
    what sort of accuracy/tolerance is on those things?
    You wouldn't need much, the square-sectioned piston seal is there to do the job, right?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Really? Amazing.. I have a lathe but have no idea how to use it a. If anyone wants to make some VFR pistons feel free to come over and use my lathe!!

Thread Information