Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion on Mentor Programme

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Further to my previous post...no-one is stopping anyone else giving advice when it's asked for. But if a newby (for example) wants especial help with their riding, a KB-sanctioned mentor is a better bet for them to get good advice from rather than just anyone. That is not to say that 'anyone' isn't capable, but how is a newby to know that?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Its a Boat
    I said in a previous post that there are three on here that I would listen too (I know these three personally) and thats not say I would listen to anyone else, but I am happy with my short list. I have a fair way to go when it comes to 'knowing almost everything' about riding a motorbike. Listening to people and taking it all in is paramount, putting it into practice and perfecting it takes time but is achievable.
    If I was to ask six different bikers the same question, I would probably get six different answers, the outcome would more likely be the same, but what suits me best?

IE: Whats the best way to take a downhill off camber right hand 35 kph bend?

Im guessing the answers will differ?

I learnt my trade (not as an apprentice) but by working with alot of other tradesmen and taking the best from each one.

I will name one of my short listers, and this guy is so good to listen too, very thorough in his explaination of things and I have great deal of time for him and his knowledge of motorcycling.....Sorry MSTRS (John) but its you....

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Thanks Maha. And my answer would be stay wide, apex late and ffs stay off the brakes. If you are not familiar with the corner, then approach any with that speed recommendation with caution.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I would suggest one of the best attributes that a mentor could have is an absense of ego. Some of the nominations have me wondering.

I would also hope that any mentor will work on suppressing the ego of those that they mentor.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post

Very slowly, would be a good start. But it's irrelevant to a novice. He doesn't understand about off camber, and doesn't know that downhill corners are more taxing than left handers, or understand the head over centreline stuff.

Skill and experience are all good, but what will keep a novice unscathed , or otherwise, is attitude. As Mr Katman (and others : he is merely the latest, and somewhat more persistent tahn his predecessors) has on occasion suggested, to the collective fury of the site.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Very slowly, would be a good start. But it's irrelevant to a novice. He doesn't understand about off camber, and doesn't know that downhill corners are more taxing than left handers, or understand the head over centreline stuff.
    True, absolutely true, but mentors are there for all riders yes?

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries

Im guessing the answers will differ?
    Both scrub off excess speed and your set your corner speed early. Stay wide to get the best possible view through the corner. Apex late but not too late. Have the bike leaning in with the body slightly upright and stand on the outside peg. Counter steering gives the most grip in these situations. On the exit, drift towards the outside because the camber will make the back wheel want to go in that direction so if your line takes you that way you're far less likely to lose rear grip.

That's 1 possible answer.

Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    i think what Devil is getting at is. why the big hoopla creating a Mentoring system with all these "official" requirments, Head Mentors, and their subordinates, with enough wording and arse covering to be Winston Peters party policy. when infact KB is not a club, it is an internet site?

good on the guys for creating the new mentoring thingee, i think it will work, but like Devil is getting at (i think) it could have been simpler.
    Simple didn't work anymore. The old Mentor programme was very straight forward and uncomplicated. But it ended up with people who were relatively inexperienced trying to teach others. It had lots of potential for bad things to happen.

The revamped scheme has set the bar high. It is difficult, but not impossible, for someone who hasn't been riding for 10 years to become a Mentor. R6_Kid is an example. He isn't a Mentor yet, however, he has made it a long way through the process because of his regular involvement in the RRRS and the backing of respected individuals in the Rider Training area.

As for being a bit complex, we had to look at all the possibilities and build something that had a reasonable chance of being able to handle them. We used a structure that is known to work (it's the same sort structure as the one that runs this site). We came up with a set of requirements that we believe will bring the most experience, knowledge and best attitudes to those looking for help. And we've put a system in place that means information gets shared and that riders looking for help will get quality, consistent and reliable help.

All of that adds up to something that isn't simple and can't be handled in a simple way.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental-Trousers View Post
    Both scrub off excess speed and your set your corner speed early. Stay wide to get the best possible view through the corner. Apex late but not too late. Have the bike leaning in with the body slightly upright and stand on the outside peg. Counter steering gives the most grip in these situations. On the exit, drift towards the outside because the camber will make the back wheel want to go in that direction so if your line takes you that way you're far less likely to lose rear grip.

That's 1 possible answer.
    Thats a great answer...explained so well that, I like this outside peg business too, never really tried that but I certainly will. So, right hand bend, weight the left peg?

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Thats a great answer...explained so well that, I like this outside peg business too, never really tried that but I certainly will. So, right hand bend, weight the left peg?
    yep

Chook chaser on a stop bank is a good example of how the technique works. Ride down it on an angle and counter steer to go along. Lean the bike in towards the stop bank with the body upright and weighting the outside peg. Doing this you can safely counter steer to go back up the bank without losing the back end.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Bike
    Suzuki B-King, Fatbob, YammyTricker
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Thanks Maha. And my answer would be stay wide, apex late and ffs stay off the brakes. If you are not familiar with the corner, then approach any with that speed recommendation with caution.
    Well done young man
    Up and coming mentor maybe

Learn to ride - Basic Skills Handling Testing
    NZTA Approved Motorcycle Instructor
    www.ridertraining.co.nz

Learn to Ride - Basic Handling Skills (BHS) Training and Testing - Onroad Coaching for Restricted/Full Licence Tests
    Auckland Training grounds 63 Mihini Road Henderson
    0800 LRN2RD Txt\ imessage 021878755 or 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental-Trousers View Post
    Simple didn't work anymore. The old Mentor programme was very straight forward and uncomplicated. But it ended up with people who were relatively inexperienced trying to teach others. It had lots of potential for bad things to happen.

The revamped scheme has set the bar high. It is difficult, but not impossible, for someone who hasn't been riding for 10 years to become a Mentor. R6_Kid is an example. He isn't a Mentor yet, however, he has made it a long way through the process because of his regular involvement in the RRRS and the backing of respected individuals in the Rider Training area.

As for being a bit complex, we had to look at all the possibilities and build something that had a reasonable chance of being able to handle them. We used a structure that is known to work (it's the same sort structure as the one that runs this site). We came up with a set of requirements that we believe will bring the most experience, knowledge and best attitudes to those looking for help. And we've put a system in place that means information gets shared and that riders looking for help will get quality, consistent and reliable help.

All of that adds up to something that isn't simple and can't be handled in a simple way.
    Listen up people. I asked questions of the programme, and here's someone with the level-headed ability to give a clear and to the point answer instead of getting snarky and condescending.
    Are you others taking note? Or do you just prefer to try and take someone down a step and sit on your high horse instead of providing usefull answers to genuine questions.

MSTRS, do you think you could come up with something like that?

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    No fucking wonder another KBer slammed the door on his way out.
    Some here need to take a good hard look at themselves. Always questioning and knocking what others (try to) do for the good of all bikers. Plenty of noise and little substance.
    If what's been put together so painstakingly over the last few months has a need for something more (or less), tell us what (you think) it is or leave it alone. Vague negative general comments don't help anyone.
    (the above is not aimed at you Nodrog)
    Now, regarding this stupid tune above, heard far too often:

Why dont you all go back and read my posts in this thread regarding the mentor programme and point out a) me knocking it, or b) vague negative comments.

You'll see that I asked questions because I didn't understand. Apart from some exceptions, all I got was arrogant bullshit.
    People moan about bringing other people down and that's exactly what you're doing here. I post carefully worded questions and just end up with bollocks.

The mentor programme didn't piss me off, it was the reaction of a few who couldn't seem to get their brain-worms past a question and just jump straight to the crucifixion, hence the reaction on the last page.

Bike
    nun
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    I'd panic stoppie, rev the snot out of the bike so the back wheel is spinning hard when it touches down and use the camber to drift the rear end around.

Then after the bike had landed on me after flicking me over the high side I'd regale the ambulance crew with stories of what a shit hot rider I am.
    sounds about right for the wellie masseef

Hey MT.. why the **** does having years experience mean your a better rider....??!!!

I've been shagging for near on 30 years and im still shit at it...!!! Yet ive only been riding 4 and i'm the fastest cunt this side of the equator.

:slap:

Bike
    05 Aprilia tuono
    so how does this mentor programme work. i thik i need one
    Live long and prosper

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    I've been shagging for near on 30 years and im still shit at it...!!! Yet ive only been riding 4 and i'm the fastest cunt this side of the equator.
    You've been confusing the 2 of them. Shagging isn't meant to be fastest wins. That's your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    Hey MT.. why the **** does having years experience mean your a better rider....??!!!
    The longer somebodies been riding the more situations they've experienced. Someone riding for a year is extremely unlikely to have have the depth of knowledge and experiences of someone who's been on bikes for 20 years. Mentoring is all about experience and passing it on.

Thread Information