Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion on Mentor Programme

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch008 View Post

Those who feel inclined to help, do so. Those who don't feel inclined don't need to get involved.
    +1

exactly what i tried to get across earlier

+1 for devil's comments too - he was never trying to shoot down the programme, but asking exactly what it was trying to achieve with all the beurocracy that just complicates an otherwise existing impromptu system, which is a question neatly answered above.

of course the organisers aren't going to just bin it, but i should hope that everyone is open to criticism and are able to admit flaws and change things as needs be. if that isn't the case (ie, the scheme can't stand up to the cruel and pedantic eyes of KB) it's doomed to fail...

so if anyone somehow thinks this system aims to replace the existing system (like the SMC learner rides, club 250 and "i'm new to riding, teach me plz" threads), it isn't and simply cannot - think of it as something to complement it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mental-Trousers View Post
    That's 1 possible answer.
    knee down, bro!

but you need USD forks

Bike
    How are the mentors picked?....some are outstanding candidates, others have lost licences, binned plenty of bikes and/or appear to be poorly qualified.
    Along the lines of Devil this is a question!

Bike
    nothing :(
    Quote Originally Posted by SixPackBack View Post
    How are the mentors picked?....some are outstanding candidates, others have lost licences, binned plenty of bikes and/or appear to be poorly qualified.
    Mentors are picked by there post count and not abilities.

And i agree with boomer years riding and abiltiy has nothing to do with each other.

I know people that has been riding for years and still they ride like shit
    Second is the fastest loser

"It is better to have ridden & crashed than never to have ridden at all" by Bruce Bennett

DB is the new Porridge. Cause most of the mods must be sucking his cock ..... Or his giving them some oral help? How else can you explain it?

They are nominated, the first round of mentors were generally nominated by the Senior mentors of that area... then handed over to the admins who checked it all out, and now have been put forward to the forums.

Seriously if you appose someones nomination let an admin know!

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasievil View Post
    sniff sniff Im not sure if Im picking up the smell of a KB popularity wank fest on this..........

Anyway Im not interested in that side of it, if someone has a bike and hasnt a clue about tyre pressures, chain tightness or how to ride it safely as possible give me a hola.

right time to pack me bags, Im leaving on a jet plane this arvo
    In my experience, those who are best for the job are the quiet ones who hang around offering good advice where it is needed, not those who do it for popularity reasons.

A system of approval is necessary to avoid people who are inappropriate handing out inappropriate advice.

Is there some way that those who have actually been mentored by a particular rider can rate that mentor?

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    The LTSA and the AA believe there is a gap in the system where a learner motor-cyclist gets their learners and then is let loose on the open roads... unlike a cage driver where you can and must have a licensed driver with you...(or something like that... never had and never will have a cage license )

The Mentor system is sorta designed it fill this gap (and on an unofficial level)... where the mentor is simply guiding the newbie

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma51 View Post
    Mentors are picked by there post count and not abilities.

And i agree with boomer years riding and abiltiy has nothing to do with each other.

I know people that has been riding for years and still they ride like shit
    Myself included.

However I feel that this in itself sets me up for assisting the truly new.
    I have no natural talent and admitted it a decade ago.
    I have worked really hard to develop the skills I need to stay alive.
    I still work really hard to develop the skills I need to stay alive.
    This means I can articulate, demonstrate and recommend activities to those who need help.

Judgment of another riders ability is just that. A personal judgement.
    You want some street cred? I can't help.
    You want to live to see the 300,000 mark? I can help.

Unfortunately this is not a cut and dried one size fits all sport / hobby / mode of transport.

(Not that I am an official mentor nor have I been nominated just my 2c)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    They are nominated, the first round of mentors were generally nominated by the Senior mentors of that area... then handed over to the admins who checked it all out, and now have been put forward to the forums.

Seriously if you appose someones nomination let an admin know!
    And put my head on a chopping board in readiness for former friends to pull the string??.....no thanks. I would have thought the mods would have digged deep before nominating?..........would the AA or Police have forwarded names for anyone that is not trained, has not lost thier licence, has a superlative record keeping thier motorcycle upright, has many years experience?

Bike
    2007 CB900
    And put my head on a chopping board in readiness for former friends to pull the string??.....no thanks. I would have thought the mods would have digged deep before nominating?..........would the AA or Police have forwarded names for anyone that is not trained, has not lost thier licence, has a superlative record keeping thier motorcycle upright, has many years experience?
    Sorry but this really is not to do with the mods ... the programme is put together to run by a seperate group as the responsibilities and experience required to do that are different from modorating a website.

Bike
    Various
    I would encourage you to voice your concerns in an appropriate manner i.e. as prescribed, via PM to the mentor admins.
    Despite what some may think of your online persona, your knowledge, wisdom and riding experience is well respected by those that know you.
    The mentor admins are not going to drop you in it, objections are being handled with discretion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    objections are being handled with discretion.
    And they are needed SPB... we cant get it right if people dont voice their concerns...

Bike
    I have never know Sixpack to give a toss about being "dropped in it"
    Kinda true bro'.....I am keen to see the highest standard of tuiton possible.....

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Kinda true bro'.....I am keen to see the highest standard of tuiton possible.....
    As are we. Hence the care which has been taken to put this together.
    Devil seems to think it's too complicated, but he's also said that he would have no desire to be a part of it. Right or wrong, I took his posts on the matter to be by way of criticism without benefit of alternative suggestion. He obviously didn't like my reply and felt the need to get personal. Oh well, c'est la vie.
    On the subject of egos....get real. None of us are doing it for any reason other than making available a system for those that want help to get the right sort of help.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    On the subject of egos....get real. None of us are doing it for any reason other than making available a system for those that want help to get the right sort of help.
    The comment was directed at some of the nominations put forward so far.

(It's not all about you.)

Bike
    No one has nominated me yet so you going to strugle with getting the best tuiton

Dont worry i will happely teach you everthing i know my little wipper sniper
    Thanks Grandad

Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    As are we. Hence the care which has been taken to put this together.
    Devil seems to think it's too complicated, but he's also said that he would have no desire to be a part of it. Right or wrong, I took his posts on the matter to be by way of criticism without benefit of alternative suggestion. He obviously didn't like my reply and felt the need to get personal. Oh well, c'est la vie.
    Ego's did I mention that or are you refering to some one else?
    Any criticism would be leveled at the forwarding of unsuitable candidates creating false expectations and a standard KB shit fight-all this amongst friends.
    The concept itself is superlative, properly exacuted it will save lives. Poorly exactued it will take them.

Thread Information