Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion on Mentor Programme

Quote Originally Posted by SixPackBack View Post
    The concept itself is superlative, properly exacuted it will save lives. Poorly exactued it will take them.
    I agree, in fact I think we all do... thats why its vitally important that people let the admins knows if they have valid concerns.

Bike
    2009 Yamaha XJ6S
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I'm sure the mentoring program will produce some very fast and 'skilled' riders, capable of 'giving the learn' to anyone. Whether that is the most important matter for novices may be more open to contention
    Sorry, but I find that comment just plain silly! :slap:

The mentoring programme is about helping riders improve their skill level with issues such as MSTRS states below.. It is about helping fellow motorcyclists to be SAFE, smooth & competent riders.. NOT about being fast & giving people the learn!

Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Settle down, Ixion. Nobody is talking about that sort of mentoring. Unless it is asked for and provided as part of racing - not on the road. We are talking about the little things that contribute to safe, enjoyable biking. Like lane position awareness, corner entry lines, hazard awareness, correct gear selection or use of front/back brakes etc.
    GET ON
    SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP
    HANG ON

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by SixPackBack View Post

Ego's did I mention that or are you refering to some one else?
    No, I don't believe you did. Someone mentioned the term, and I merely insist on debunking it as having no relevance to the program.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by MyGSXF View Post
    Sorry, but I find that comment just plain silly! :slap:

The mentoring programme is about helping riders improve their skill level with issues such as MSTRS states below.. It is about helping fellow motorcyclists to be SAFE, smooth & competent riders.. NOT about being fast & giving people the learn!
    Unfortunately, as Ixion has pointed out, any amount of mentoring of rider skills, without addressing the issue of what attitude new riders approach motorcycling with, will quite likely compound the problem.

Bike
    And where is it written that 'attitude towards riding' will not be addressed by any or all mentors?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    2009 Yamaha XJ6S
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Unfortunately, as Ixion has pointed out, any amount of mentoring of rider skills, without addressing the issue of what attitude new riders approach motorcycling with, will quite likely compound the problem.
    I would suggest that the noobies that have "an attitude" will not seek out mentoring anyway.. because they are bullet proof & "don't need it"! (in their own little minds)

I would also suggest that the people who DO seek out mentoring, would be the contentious types who WANT to learn some new skills & therefore will be open & receptive, & have a good attitude towards their learning!

Furthermore, I would also suggest that the attitude of the mentor will have a lot to do with how successful the sessions go as well. From what I see all the people nominated are good, decent people with good attitudes, people skills & are very skilled riders!
    GET ON
    SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP
    HANG ON

Bike
    Furthermore, I would also suggest that the attitude of the mentor will have a lot to do with how successful the sessions go as well. From what I see all the people nominated are good, decent people with good attitudes, people skills & are very skilled riders!
    That is why they were nominated. Bearing in mind, that we're all human and not perfect at all times.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I would also suggest that the people who DO seek out mentoring, would be the contentious types who WANT to learn some new skills & therefore will be open & receptive, & have a good attitude towards their learning!
    I fear you give a large number of motorcyclists too much credit.

I imagine there will be many who will seek mentoring simply in the hope that they will be able to live out their Rossi fantasies or at the very least to be able to 'compete' with anyone else that they may be riding with.

Bike
    2009 Yamaha XJ6S
    And where is it written that 'attitude towards riding' will not be addressed by any or all mentors?
    Exactly!! & If I am accepted as a mentor.. I sure as hell will be!

Bearing in mind, that we're all human and not perfect at all times.
    Naturally!!
    GET ON
    SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP
    HANG ON

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    If you could point out where it is written that 'attitude towards riding' will be addressed I might be able to rest easier.

Bike
    2009 Yamaha XJ6S
    I fear you give a large number of motorcyclists too much credit.
    I like to look for the good in people!

I have participated in SEVERAL advanced rider training courses with Roadsafe from Wgtn & I also organised a similar course in ChCh a few months ago, which Roadsafe flew down from Wgtn to run. It is my experience that everyone of the people in all of these courses I have attended, were there because they were contentious people who wanted to learn.. their primary motivation.. was their safety!

I imagine there will be many who will seek mentoring simply in the hope that they will be able to live out their Rossi fantasies or at the very least to be able to 'compete' with anyone else that they may be riding with.
    That is always a possibility. But I think you will find that (given what I know about several of the other nominees) the mentors nominated, myself included, would probably give these types a swift kick up the arse & told to pull their head in, or bugger off!
    GET ON
    SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP
    HANG ON

Bike
    Various
    Exactly!! & If I am accepted as a mentor.. I sure as hell will be!
    Hmm. Good luck there.
    Seriously, how do you propose to adjust someone else's attitude?

Explaining the pitfalls is a waste of time - look at smoking. Kids have been brainwashed since pre-school on smoking, yet they still start in thier droves.

Brow beating is a waste of time - can we have a show of hands how many people actually consider anything Katman said when riding - other than "damn, I wish Katman were here to see this crazy shit" - despite his heart no doubt being in the right place.

There is of course trust, genuine affection and mutual respect which will often have an impact. Are you oldies up for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    It's an internet forum! If you want to know something, you post, people reply.
    There's plenty of opportunity there for someone to shoot down an idiot attempting to help.
    Mate Ive got to disagree with you here sorry.
    The current "system" does mean that its really a poularity contest.
    (the standing KB system)
    --as an example.
    Johnyrocket posts up in reply to say Maha's question. "yea mate just slam on the brakes and toss the bike on its side--thats the way I do it"
    VERI (VERYEXPERIENCEDRIDEINSTRUCTOR) COMES IN AND SAYS no no PLEASE dont do that its a crash waiting to happen.
    Then because VERI is seen as attacking JR -all JR's mates jump on in saying JR is right VERI has no clues etc etc.
    Who does the new member and newbee rider believe?

Ya get my point mate? By having people who are designated as having more than a few clues at the very least the answers should be reasoned and concidered.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    2009 Yamaha XJ6S
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    how do you propose to adjust someone else's attitude? Brow beating is a waste of time
    I agree.. & you don't know 'me' m'dear The way I intend to help my possible mentees (is that a word..), is through my positive, outgoing attitude and sharing my knowledge & skills, by means of a friendly encouraging one on one, no pressure environment. Which encompasses as you state.. trust, genuine affection & mutual respect!
    GET ON
    SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP
    HANG ON

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Mate Ive got to disagree with you here sorry.
    The current "system" does mean that its really a poularity contest.
    (the standing KB system)
    ...................... Ya get my point mate? By having people who are designated as having more than a few clues at the very least the answers should be reasoned and concidered.
    Easily cured by KB showing no tolerance to people who misguide others in regards to riding skills and concepts.

Thread Information