Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion on Mentor Programme

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries

Discussion on Mentor Programme

There is a point to these... or just a post count increase...???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    FOR SALE

Mrs busa pete

Ok mental pants can i have the shortened version of all that as i would like to nominate someone for mentors postion.
    RIDE FOR THE CONDITIONS WHEN THEY CHANGE INCREASE YOUR SPEED

Bike
    1986 Suzuki GN250
    This looks awesome.

Also looks like you guys have put a serious amount of work into it!

Guess it's too early to nominate myself as a mentee just yet, will keep my eyes peeled

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Well done fellas. I love to mentor, and I'm good at it, but only a beginner myself. Oh well.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    FOR SALE

Mrs busa pete

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    How to become a Mentor:

Process
    Contact the Mentors Group with the name of the person being nominated (people are welcome to put themselves forward). Two (2) references MUST be included. The referees would ideally be on kiwibiker but don't need to be (include a contact email or something for them). They really only need to be able to truthfully vouch for the nominated person, ie he/she has been riding the required amount of time, isn't an idiot, has some teaching ability etc
    Administrators check them out and chat to their referees
    Notice is posted in forums for 2-3 weeks during which time anyone can voice their objections (either publicly or via pm)
    Administrators appoint or reject

To contact the Mentors group a couple of links will be put up when the vbulletin mod for the Mentors is completed and tested. For now, just make sure[list][*]the person you want to nominate to be a Mentor actually wants to be a Mentor[*]get 2 decent referees

Send the nomination to either The Stranger, who is the Senior Mentor for the Northern North Island, or to any of the Mentor Administrators (Mental-Trousers, Virago or myself)

Seems he is already a mentor.....
    RIDE FOR THE CONDITIONS WHEN THEY CHANGE INCREASE YOUR SPEED

Bike
    2004 R1200GS
    Good Work, would be keen to help, but have only returned to riding last year after a decent break. Hope it all goes well.
    Him mit der R1200 Bayerische Motoren Werke Gelende Strasse

Bike
    Too many to count
    good effort guys

is there a guideline as to how much time investment could be expected of a mentor?

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Because being a mentor is voluntary there can be no specific requirements of time etc.
    Time to ride

Bike
    FJR 1300
    This sounds a well thought out process, large pat on the backs for all involved.
    I certainly have the years of riding to mentor but I may not be personaly well known enough within the KB comunity to put my hand up just yet, so I geuss a few more local KB rides, for me.

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    I dont understand why KB has taken ownership of a mentor programme instead of the passive stance of being a place where someone can just plainly request help, and people can provide it on an ad-hoc basis.

What is the official stance on a non-approved member providing mentor assistance based on a request here?

I'm sure there are plenty of people with suitable experience to be a mentor who are not often available and could not commit to a programme, but would like to just provide service when they have time. There wouldn't be much point in attempting to sign up if you're saying no all the time.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    ...What is the official stance on a non-approved member providing mentor assistance based on a request here?....
    There is, and can be, no official stance on that happening.

KB used to run a mentor scheme, that was effectively taken over by well intentioned riders mentoring new riders and teaching dangerous and un-neccessary manouvers. For that reason the old system was disbanded, and this new scheme is now the replacement.

Now think about it from a new rider's point of view. Would a new rider prefer a mentor who has been nominated, referreed, and approved as a safe and competent rider and mentor, or would they prefer someone with no credence, but happens to have a free hour?

Now, before you jump down my neck, I'm not saying that only approved mentors are capable of mentoring, because that would not be the case. What I am saying is that if a new rider, or even an experienced rider who wishes to obtain skills in a different field of riding, wants to be mentored, then we now have a structure in place to match that rider with a mentor, and not have them take pot luck.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Too many to count
    There wouldn't be much point in attempting to sign up if you're saying no all the time.
    well don't then.... i won't be putting my hand up any time soon, and i 'mentor' enough of the uni club learners anyway so why fix what isn't broke?

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Now think about it from a new rider's point of view. Would a new rider prefer a mentor who has been nominated, referreed, and approved as a safe and competent rider and mentor, or would they prefer someone with no credence, but happens to have a free hour?
    Me not seeing the point aside, I wouldn't think it in KB's best interest to be approving people as "safe". I've seen plenty of riders who under the criteria would be classed as 'safe', pull some dodgy shite, and riders you'd associate as being a bit of a loose cannon being able to proficiently articulate important riding concepts to newbs.

On one hand, KB is putting it's rubber stamp on a programme, then on the other it's taking an all care and no responsibility stance. This I do not understand. Does the volume of mentor requests justify the size of the administration team behind the programme?

Bike
    Too many to count
    Uh, thats exactly my point...
    yeah, so don't sign up

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbyclist View Post
    ...so why fix what isn't broke?
    That is the issue. It was broke.
    Time to ride

Thread Information