Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I being a Nazi? Language in the workplace.

Bike
    a red heap
    i wish the other 2 people in my office would talk to each other in Russian. that way i wouldnt be offended by them talking about having wrinkly old man sex with their dial-a-brides, or how surprisingly nice a prostate exam feels.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    ... how surprisingly nice a prostate exam feels.
    You working that buttplug in like I told you to?
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    You working that buttplug in like I told you to?
    yes, but i'm not russian it

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    Will someone please explain to me how it is offensive?

erm - as long as cheese and his boss find it so and his two chinese workmates find it preferable to avoid it then the hows, whys and wherefores [although interesting] aren't the most important factor in the situation?
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    Now bikeless :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    Am I being a Nazi?

In our workplace we have several different cultures. We have two Russian people (one just joined us) and they have started chatting to each other in Russian with day to day work things. I personally find this very offensive and bad taste. We have two Chinese guys too that make a point of speaking English in front of everyone else and I my boss also finds it very rude that the Russians are speaking local lingo.

Would I be fair is saying

You can speak it if you are on the phone etc to a partner etc

Anything in the work place with work people, English is only acceptable – no if, buts, or maybes.
    Having been in a reverse situation where I was one of only two people in a workplace who spoke English as our first language I know how frustrating it can be to attempt to discuss/explain complex work procedures in broken other languages. This is not to mention the isolation one suffers through not being able to speak fluently in a day-to-day conversation manner.

New Zealand's isolation has resulted in very few of us being able to speak a second language which is unusual by international standards. This probably contributes to xenophobic attitudes which are aggravated by the suspicion that those dodgy imports are talking about you without you knowing about it. Depending on their command of English they may well be thinking the same of you; And by the sounds of your post they'd be right.

Bike
    A Cage
    I'm the token xenophobe and all, but anyone talking any langauge other than English/Kiwi (before someone jumps on the wagon about "our" english vs the queens english) pisses me off. If you live in NZ, speak English (or maori or sign langauge).

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Will someone please explain to me how it is offensive?

In Russian?........
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Loud and hoony
    Is drinking on the job allowed?

Speaking russian can only be poor taste if you don't have a decent sized glass of vodka at hand.

As for being a Nazi... dunno, you like marches, ribbons and highly polished leather boots?
    It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities. (...such as the word fuck.)

Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. - Joseph Rotblat

Bike
    CR250
    MAny intersting comments.

The thing is that the guy that instigates it talks alot of shit and give misinformed information. No one really beleives alot of what he says and by speaking in Russian he is safeguarding himslef form someone butting in and saying hang on - no mate.

I find it rude because we are in NZ. English is our language. Everyone else make the effort. Its also the fact that I have no idea what he is saying, it sometimes feels like he is slagging me off. or maybe just talking shit. He can speak english ok, so why doesn't he. Its only going to improove his english. I feel that he should make an effort.

I have no problem with him talking it to his wife or what ever, but when its in teh workplace and with work peope it is Lazy and rude.

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by mstriumph View Post

ANARCHY!!!!!

Anarchy rules...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    MAny intersting comments.

The thing is that the guy that instigates it talks alot of shit and give misinformed information. No one really beleives alot of what he says and by speaking in Russian he is safeguarding himslef form someone butting in and saying hang on - no mate.

I find it rude because we are in NZ. English is our language. Everyone else make the effort.

Its also the fact that I have no idea what he is saying, it sometimes feels like he is slagging me off.

or maybe just talking shit. He can speak english ok, so why doesn't he. Its only going to improove his english. I feel that he should make an effort.
    English is only ONE of this countrys language's. Your anxiety complex is playing up... there are pills for that.
    Your English needs improvement too... but we didn't like to say...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NighthawkNZ View Post
    Anarchy rules...
    Anarchy has rules...???

Bike
    CR250
    lol sorry I was typing fast.

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    Get used to it. We have a couple of Russians at work too. I don't know if it's thier culture or what, but they treat everyone around the work place like idiots, but they are by far the biggest retards in our shop.

They also speak in russian at work which fucks me off no end. This is a english speaking country. One of my main issues is although thses guys have been in NZ for +10 years, thier english SUCKS. That's what gets me wound up the most. That is because at home they speak russian, and at work most the time they speak russian.

Good luck getting them to speak english at the work place. And yes it is rude!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    lol sorry I was typing fast.
    SLOW DOWN... talk to the guy's about it...get THEIR point of veiw about... learn a few swear words... enjoy you work... have a nice day...

Thread Information