Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric motor advice

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90

Electric motor advice

I'd like to know more information about electric motors. One of my many project ideas is to power an office chair with 3 electric motors. 2 on it's base so it'll be controlled much like a tank, and a third spinning the seat for an added degree of difficulty. I was wondering what motors should I be using for such a system? Would old vacuum cleaner engines have enough power? What could run off 12 or 24 volts. Am I barking up the wrong tree by asking an over zealous biker forum waiting to rip into and crush an obviously silly idea?

If I get one going, I hope to make a second and strap paintball guns to both.

Bike
    yamaha FZR-R EXUP, 1989
    Thats a brilliant idea! do it.

As for vacuum's being strong enough, maybe if you have some lying around try.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Dargor View Post
    Thats a brilliant idea! do it.

As for vacuum's being strong enough, maybe if you have some lying around try.
    Chur

My parents have an enviromower. Might see if I can have a look inside it and see what motor it has. Don't think it'd have much oomph though.

If all else fails, the minimoto motor will be stolen. Don't know how I'd make the base steer in that case. Having 2 motors move in different speeds or direction to make it turn would be easier and it'd turn on a dime. If I wait a while maybe I could buy another minimoto engine, they're pretty damn cheap: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-172169827.htm
    Wouldn't be able to reverse though. But it would be ridiculously awesome having 2 of them underneath an office chair.

Bike
    Vulcan - God of Fire
    A vacuum cleaner motor isn't the right type for your application. They are meant to run at relatively high rpm and produce low torque. They need the air drawn from the cleaner hose to flow over them to keep them cool.

You need lower shaft speed and high torque to move a person sitting on an office chair.

I would suggest a 12v or 24v DC gear motor for moving forwards and reverse controlled by a motor controller using wig-wag control. See www.dynamiccontrols.com

Their R50 unit is a good little controller which you can use to control the speed and direction using a throttle like a motor cycle, but one which twists backwards (palm down) as well as forwards. This is wig-wag control. Download the data sheet on this page for circuit details.

For the seat rotation, I would use a stepper motor. Go to www.jaycar.co.nz for motors and project kits which feature stepper motor drive circuits.

These motors and controls will cost you probably several hundred dollars. Alternatively you might need to search the net for home brewed motor controllers to save a bit of money, but you will still need a DC gear motor and a stepper motor. There are probably other ways of doing it but these would be the easiest for someone new to electronics.
    Destroy Everything! Destroy Everything! Destroy Everything! Obliterate what makes us weak!

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Gentle Annie washing machine motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Vulcan - God of Fire
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Gentle Annie washing machine motor.
    You'd need an inverter drive to run one of those. I don't think that would be suitable given the need for an ELV battery supply.
    Destroy Everything! Destroy Everything! Destroy Everything! Obliterate what makes us weak!

Bike
    Triumph Sprint ST
    Go to pick apart, look at big windscreeen wiper motors or little starter motors. Cheap too

Bike
    As much as I'd like to have the nicer, expensive stuff, I can't afford it. When I start making that money I'll be saving up for a new bike instead. I'll tag along with some mates when they're off to Pick a Part and ask how much their motors cost and have a general look around.

Bike
    Suzuki Boulevard S83.2008
    Have a look at motors out of mobility scooters. They may not be fast enough for what you want but they are DC.

"May the motorcycle god's keep your tyres pumped"

"The shortest distance between any two points on a motorbike, is the long way round"

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    DC truck generator, running as a motor?
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Several R/C car motors?

Could nick the one off my car that's got no radio gear and give it a shot. Could get one that's set up for torque (though it still won't be that torque-ee o'corse).

Bike
    1991 Kawasaki ZXR400L1
    How much are you willing to spend?? Something like this will easily cost over $1K

You'll need:

Car battery
    2 x DC motors
    1 x wiper motor
    wheel/track assembly
    Electronics
    Controls

The biggest challenge will be sourcing/building the tank track assembly. I'd go modular and build the drive unit first - go with 2 car starter motors + solenoids, a car battery and switches, mount it all in a box with the keyed output shafts sticking out each side to fit the tank track drive sprockets eventually. Prob find you'll need to use pulleys/sprockets to get the desired gearing.

Bike
    CR250
    How fast do you want it to go?

If you want to make a really easy one that won't be very fast, get a couple of cheap battery drills and use them for your motor and speed controller. you can rig it all up pretty easy. you could use one for the chairs spin bit too.

Otherwise jaycar have a range of motors with gearboxes already fitted and most couplings you should need.

As for batteries, I'd just use a few SLA's - easy cheap and not too big.

Bike
    CR250
    oh and speed controllers are generally PWM circuits.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoon View Post
    How much are you willing to spend?? Something like this will easily cost over $1K

You'll need:

Car battery
    2 x DC motors
    1 x wiper motor
    wheel/track assembly
    Electronics
    Controls

The biggest challenge will be sourcing/building the tank track assembly. I'd go modular and build the drive unit first - go with 2 car starter motors + solenoids, a car battery and switches, mount it all in a box with the keyed output shafts sticking out each side to fit the tank track drive sprockets eventually. Prob find you'll need to use pulleys/sprockets to get the desired gearing.
    I'm willing to spend everything I've got! Which is probably about $5 in loose change.

Will starter motors chew up too much power from the battery? They don't last long when starting a vehicle, but then there's engine resistance. Can't think they'd last much longer though.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    oh and speed controllers are generally PWM circuits.
    Wha chu talkin 'bout?
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    How fast do you want it to go?

If you want to make a really easy one that won't be very fast, get a couple of cheap battery drills and use them for your motor and speed controller. you can rig it all up pretty easy. you could use one for the chairs spin bit too.

Otherwise jaycar have a range of motors with gearboxes already fitted and most couplings you should need.

As for batteries, I'd just use a few SLA's - easy cheap and not too big.
    Very.

Good idea for the seat. Would want something with more ommph for the base motors.

I'll have a look in there sometime. Wellington Motorcycles is just a block away too so I'll have to look there as well.

SLA's?

Thread Information