Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seized top end

Bike
    1984 Honda Nifty Fifty (NQ50)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sellout View Post
    These engines are nearly bulletproof. One of the wrecks in my garage has sat in a farmers shed for 10 years, covered in shit and starting to rust... New spark plug, cleaned the airfilter and tuned the carb and she's flyin (as much as an NQ50 can..) Let me know how the reboring/ oversizing works out in terms of power, I can see I may have to have a play with some of the bits I've got lying about...

I also have a couple of boxes of spare parts, and some plastics, so if there is something specific you want/ need, let me know! I'll be up your way in mid-September at the boat show!
    You don't have a spare cylinder and piston do you? Haha my plastics are in terrible condition but I just bought another NQ50 off trademe... which comes minus the top end! Just my luck. Anyway that will come in handy for spare parts.

As far as plastics go, what plastics do you have, what colour are they? As far as I can tell, the NQ50s seem to have problems with the plastics breaking where they are bolted to the frame. In saying that, I guess any bike that is 24 years old would have that problem.

My mum knows this guy called Barry Free, some people here might have heard of him as he's pretty active in the motorbike scenes. I'm hoping he has some contacts that can get me a cheap rebore I'll update here when I find out how it goes.

Bike
    '85 RZ250R & 2.75 Nifties in boxes
    Yeah, all NQ50 plastics go at the bolt hole... Darryl at Jap Motorcycle Dismantlers in Chch has said he has some good nick plastics.

I have some blue and some red dash parts, 3 foot panels (2 blue one red) and a rightside (non-keyside) engine cover spare. The other full set is for the 2nd NQ I'm building for a younger brother!

I do have 3 cylinders and I'm pretty sure there are at least 2 pistons. I'll get some photos up of them as soon as I dig them out. I thought you were gonna rebore and go for performance?? I don't think any of my parts have come from seized engines, so cylinders should be good!
    Missus: What the f*&k is that???!!!! Where the f*&k do you think that's going??
    Me: It's a [insert old broken vehicle here] can't you tell?
    Missus: Oh for f*&k's sake... [slams door]
    Me: Phew, lucky she didn't see what's on the trailer!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Sellout View Post
    Yeah, all NQ50 plastics go at the bolt hole... Darryl at Jap Motorcycle Dismantlers in Chch has said he has some good nick plastics.

I have some blue and some red dash parts, 3 foot panels (2 blue one red) and a rightside (non-keyside) engine cover spare. The other full set is for the 2nd NQ I'm building for a younger brother!

I do have 3 cylinders and I'm pretty sure there are at least 2 pistons. I'll get some photos up of them as soon as I dig them out. I thought you were gonna rebore and go for performance?? I don't think any of my parts have come from seized engines, so cylinders should be good!
    Well I would like to have a scooter with a bit more power but since I am poor haha I guess I will have to settle for cheapest option! How much would you want for a cylinder and piston?

My mum reckons reboring a cylinder will cost me about $250 which is wayy too much for me... considering I paid $500 for just the scooter. I have asked around and there are a few people who are going to make some enquiries about reboring for me so I will wait and see what happens with that.

But in the meantime I think I'd be interested in buying a spare cylinder and piston anyway, just in case I seize it again in the future!

Bike
    none
    welll i had to post on this cos ive seized a bike well more that one...3 in on year
    wasnt the best thing and my piston where fucked like realy bad fucked lol but shit happens
    WOW! ohh damn

Bike
    Yay! Managed to get one entire NQ50m operational tonight!! Full plastics (not matching but there!) and a bit of a horry job on the "ignition barrel" (think a piece of plyboard with two switches on it...)

Ummm... still gotta find those cylinders & pistons, bear with me & I'll get piccies up in the next day or two. I don't know what kinda state they're in, definitely need a clean up and maybe a polish, but what do you expect from 20 year old parts?? As to price, some plonkers on Tardme are tryin to flog parts at huge prices... A couple of beers will do for me! Figure that I've got the parts, don't really need 'em, you need the parts...

That's what KB is all about innit it?!

Bike
    Hey sellout,

Do you still have any nifty fifty cylinders or pistons that you don't need?

Cheers Vinnie

Bike
    Walking
    Further to my thought on just sanding it down,

I had this happen to one of my KR150's once, with scratches just like that in the barrel. Despite it being a coated barrel, I was able to use a drill sanding bit (like pic below), to take out the worst of the scratches. being careful not to sand in one spot and miss-shape the cylinder. Then a bit of 800 grit to finish off.
    There was still a small remnant of the scratches when I felt I had done enough, But a new piston kit went in. I allowed plenty of time for run-in, as it sounded like the rings were going to take a while to wear to the new and 'in-proved' bore. But that bike ran well and gave no problems because of the 'Home made' remedy.

Sometimes for a small, not highly tuned motor, a re-bore is not absolutely necessary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drill sander.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	104439  

Bike
    OK. So I'm a lazy bastard. Got it.

Hey Vinnie, I have finally gone through the 8 boxes of parts I have in the garage & shed (not all NQ50, not even all motorbike!) and have found 2 cylinders & three pistons. Only one of the pistons match a cylinder, and they are both heavily gouged as the one in your original post pic was.

Sorry mate!! I was sure I still had a good one in there, but alas, none to be found. Now that I have found the gouged one, I remember that I was going to try to rebore it myself... Too many projects, not enough time!! I'll keep my eye out for you though!

Best of luck with the engine!

Thread Information