Thread: Bridgestone BT-014 or Michelin Pilot Road 2

Bike
    08 CRF250R

Bridgestone BT-014 or Michelin Pilot Road 2

Going to buy my first new tyre for this sized bike and unsure of what to get.

Bike had a Pilot power on it but i want to try something new.

Just wondering if any1 has had experieces with either and which one you would recommend. Or another tyre even...
    If you live in our around Auckland come play TAG-O-RAMA with us!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 1vanvan1 View Post
    Just wondering if any1 has had experieces with either and which one you would recommend. Or another tyre even...
    Well... I don't think we really need another tyre debate, plenty already, so lets stick with what you have listed (continental sportattack ftw!!)

Had both, the BT014 about 2 years ago on a zx7r, and currently running Pilot Road 2's on the CB900.

BT014: Soft, terrible profile (very flat tyre, too easy to get off the edge of them - but I believe its possible they have changed/updated the tyre since), a lot complain that they let go with little warning, and generally don't score well with people that I have spoken to.

PR2: Personally, I love it. Have ridden on these after Metzler Z6 (got a puncture in successive rear tyres - bad luck... dunno... not getting them again), then rode on Diablo Stradas, and now on PR2. I would rate the PR2 as being the best out of the 3, with amazing life despite a bit of abuse. It does a lot of city riding, very little country, and the rear has taken many kilometres to start flattening off.

Grip on the edge is fantastic as well (pretty sure they are a dual compound tyre) and they don't take much to warm up. Can't really complain about them. Personally, I have found they lose 2-4 psi per fortnight, but others have said no problem at all... so not sure.

Only caveat for you is whether or not they have enough grip for your riding (being that it is a 600). I went up a level and used Conti SportAttacks on my zx10, softer, don't last as long, but more grip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    I'd use PP 2CTs rather than PR2s on a sprotbike. You'll want the extra grip.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    GSXR750G Daytona 955 Tiger DR650 ZRX1200
    I've used PR2's (yep, dual compound) for the last year and find them brilliant. Very smooth rolling profile, warm up quickly and extremely grippy. Good in the wet and I get 10+K from a rear. Pirelli Diablo Rosso's bloody good as well.

Bike
    No longer Motarded
    Ive been put off bridgestones since my CBR came with them, the rear got half worn then felt like t was flat so i pulled into the garage and it had 38psi in it, i double checked the meter with my mates bike and it was pretty right.
    Carried on up the road to see if it was just in my head, pulled over and found that i could easily push the middle of the rear tyre in about 5mm, but it still had a bit of tread on it eg would have passed a WOF, was a slow ride home.
    Now use dunlop 208rr's for track days and a pilot road 2 on the road just to save wear.
    Bring on the weekend

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Can't speak for 014s but can thoroughly recommend the PR2s. Obviously it depends on your riding style, and how your suspension behaves, but they are on my 750 and are doing an excellent job. Loooooong life in the middle and good grip on the sides. Like any tyre, don't push too hard until warmed up.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    95 honda cbr900rr 05 zx6rr 89gsxr750
    I,ve run both , found the 014's slow steering ( like most Bridgestones 002's excluded ) and found the PR2's very predictable and give good wear , grippy for a sports tourer , only problem is there are no 180 rears about at the moment .
    Bridgestone do make good tyres though , ask Rossi .

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by mouldy View Post
    PR2's very predictable and give good wear
    Yes.

PP 2CTs are still noticeably nicer to ride on, though. A step up in terms of grip and turn-in, etc.
    - mikey

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    Pilot Road 2s....had 'em on the R6,2 track days & 11000 ks later the rear still got a warrant !!. Front still real good, grippy as for a tourey type tyre,awesome in the wet
    The Heart is the drum keeping time for everyone....

Bike
    Whatever is in the garage - FXDC, Bking
    Blog Entries
    I swear by Conti Road/Sport Attacks......... just give them a wee bit of time to warm up first.

www.Ridertraining.co.nz
    NZTA Approved CBTA Instructor Assessor
    - Restricted + Full Licence Training & Testing
    - Onroad Coaching & Training
    Auckland
    Call or Txt 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    Yeah Baby!
    Very rarely have I heard a good thing said about the 014's. So I wouldn't touch them.

The 014 is a sport tyre, the pr2 is a touring/sport tyre. What are you looking for? I would say the pr2, as well as pretty much all the different sport/touring tyres (excluding the 020) are good.

I would have to guess (especially since it didn't last long in production) is that the 014 would have to be near the bottom of the wrung of sport tyres. In fact I've rarely heard a good thing said about any Bridgestone since the 010 went out of production. The newest ones ought to be better but haven't heard much about them.
    Some things are worth dying for, living is one of them.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatjim View Post
    Very rarely have I heard a good thing said about the 014's. So I wouldn't touch them.

The 014 is a sport tyre, the pr2 is a touring/sport tyre. What are you looking for? I would say the pr2, as well as pretty much all the different sport/touring tyres (excluding the 020) are good.

I would have to guess (especially since it didn't last long in production) is that the 014 would have to be near the bottom of the wrung of sport tyres. In fact I've rarely heard a good thing said about any Bridgestone since the 010 went out of production. The newest ones ought to be better but haven't heard much about them.
    I've been reading about the replacement for the 014 which is apparently a triple compound and called a 016. Comparisons have been made with the Pilot Power and from what I've read, the 016 kicks arse. S3 owner's seem to love it!

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatjim View Post
    Friends Don't Let Friends Ride On Bridgestones (tm).
    - mikey

Bike
    95 honda cbr900rr 05 zx6rr 89gsxr750
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    Friends Don't Let Friends Ride On Bridgestones (tm).
    I wonder if Rossi and Stoner have any friends then ?

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by mouldy View Post
    I wonder if Rossi and Stoner have any friends then ?
    All right, let's make it Friends Don't Let Friends Ride On Bridgestones, Unless Those Bridgestones Were Specifically Developed For MotoGP (tm).

Happy now?
    - mikey

Thread Information