Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For the political animals on here

Bike
    A naked monster - just like me.
    Whaleoil also give background in why this is so explosive - this is from the parliment website:

KEN SHIRLEY (ACT): On 16 October 2001 Winston Peters, the leader of the New Zealand First Party, issued a press release. It was titled: “Gross incompetence in fisheries. Heads need to roll.” He was calling for a dismissal of the chief executive of the Ministry of Fisheries, and he claimed that the ministry was guilty of gross incompetence, faulty allocation of scampi quota, wanton disregard for due process, and unlawful treatment of fishers. He called on the Minister of Fisheries to invoke an immediate inquiry. He said that the allocation of scampi was to be taken away from the ministry, as it could not be trusted. Those were very serious allegations, and some even called them reckless. It was classic Winston Peters innuendo.

Six months later, on 24 April 2002, in the general debate-this very debate we are having now-Winston Peters lambasted the Minister of Fisheries for not taking action. He accused the Ministry of Fisheries of condoning corruption, aiding and abetting corruption, and involving itself in that corruption. Winston Peters said: “I will produce evidence that the ministry knowingly condoned that corruption.” He went on further to say: “In the next few weeks I intend to demonstrate with voluminous evidence and affidavits why this ministry should be removed from its job and the Serious Fraud Office asked, belatedly, to do its job.”

Eventually, a parliamentary inquiry into the scampi allegations was instigated by the Primary Production Committee, following a very high-profile Assignment programme that screened on television. One would have expected Winston Peters, having made those allegations, to rejoice at having got that inquiry but, oh no, he gave not a whisper, not a murmur. He quickly replaced Doug Woolerton, the permanent New Zealand First member on that select committee, and then spent his time focusing on narrowing and closing the terms of reference for the committee. It was all, one would say, rather curious.

The Primary Production Committee sat for several months, consumed an enormous amount of Parliament’s time, and reported on 2 December 2003. Winston Peters produced no evidence to support the reckless allegations he had made, and he certainly did not table the “voluminous evidence” he had promised. He was as quiet as a lamb, with barely a whisper.

Last night on television further allegations were made, and reference was made to a sworn affidavit. The functioning of this Parliament and its processes was raised, and the programme focused on a former member of this House-perhaps one of the most unsavoury members who has passed through this House-a Mr Ross Meurant.

It seems that a former member of Parliament, Ross Meurant, was engaged by Simunovich Fisheries as an adviser and lobbyist. Concurrent with that, of course-and a lot of people do not realise this-Mr Meurant was also hired by the New Zealand First Party and was on its payroll; actually, on the taxpayers’ payroll through the Parliamentary Service.

We were told that Mr Meurant attended several meetings, together with principals of Simunovich Fisheries. Mr Meurant’s former partner of some 9 years, Yvonne Theresa Dossetter, swears that Ross Meurant met at the Simunovich’s olive farm following the infamous Kermadec restaurant meal, and the proposal was put that the payment of $300,000 to Meurant would be a good investment for the Simunovich business. It is alleged that the deed was done, and that the money would be available from an Australian bank account. Subsequently, it is alleged that Mr Meurant boasted to Yvonne Dosseter, who has sworn an affidavit, that the money was paid, and that Meurant indeed had it in a brown paper bag.
    This is an extremely serious allegation, and it brings into question in the public’s mind the functioning of our representative democracy. What we have to realise is that Winston Peters was in there with him.

$300,000 buys a lot of scampi!

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyryder View Post
    Persanaly I find the scampi implications more seriouse than the political donations that are currently under investigation. However the SFO have not ruled out investigation in this area if evidence leads there. If Crappers allegation can not be confirmed by other more credible parties his allegations will go nowhere. I watched the video closely and gained the impression he was telling the truth.

I'm not too sure just how this impacts on Labour at present as I am not fully converscent with the scampi allegations. Has Labour done anything unlawfull?
    The political donations thing is merely hypocrisy on Winston1st part - railing against big business donations for all these years, and all the while taking them himself. Alongside that obviously, the lack of disclosure of pecuniary interests.

The scampi thing though is real corruption, and the SFO should be able to line up monies paid against significant actions such as Winnie suddenly deciding to stop chasing Simunovich...it's a step worse than back handers for favours from the racing industry.

As far as what Labour has done, well this is a TVNZ tape so they will have known all about it for as long as it has existed. They're clearly worried as Cullen's behaviour in the house last week aiding Winnie in getting Rodney's question shut-down demonstrates...is Margaret Wilson the most pathetic excuse for a speaker ever?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Only a homo puts an engine back together WITHOUT making it go faster.

Bike
    Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterD View Post
    The political donations thing is merely hypocrisy on Winston1st part - railing against big business donations for all these years, and all the while taking them himself. Alongside that obviously, the lack of disclosure of pecuniary interests.

The scampi thing though is real corruption, and the SFO should be able to line up monies paid against significant actions such as Winnie suddenly deciding to stop chasing Simunovich...it's a step worse than back handers for favours from the racing industry.

As far as what Labour has done, well this is a TVNZ tape so they will have known all about it for as long as it has existed. They're clearly worried as Cullen's behaviour in the house last week aiding Winnie in getting Rodney's question shut-down demonstrates...is Margaret Wilson the most pathetic excuse for a speaker ever?

I don't disagree with your comments on Wilson or for that matter those of Winstone. The rest is opinion that can be disputed. For instance on the question of Labour knowing about the tape I can only add that Labour had no knowledge of the Veitch affair. That in itself would suggest that TVNZ had a culture of not informing the Minister of events that my lead to embaressment for TVNZ excecs and I would be extreemly surpriseed if this went as far as protecting Labour as you state.. Do you have evidence of this or is it speculation?? Untill evidence of this comes up I would give Labour the benifit of the doubt.

I'm not too sure that Wilson did shut down Hide other than to insist that he make his question succinct. I remember reading something about sub judice in respect to Winstones case against TVNZ then Wilson had every right to shut up Hide as the matter is before the courts.

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Bike
    Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Whaleoil also give background in why this is so explosive - this is from the parliment website:

KEN SHIRLEY (ACT): On 16 October 2001 Winston Peters, the leader of the New Zealand First Party, issued a press release. It was titled: “Gross incompetence in fisheries. Heads need to roll.” He was calling for a dismissal of the chief executive of the Ministry of Fisheries, and he claimed that the ministry was guilty of gross incompetence, faulty allocation of scampi quota, wanton disregard for due process, and unlawful treatment of fishers. He called on the Minister of Fisheries to invoke an immediate inquiry. He said that the allocation of scampi was to be taken away from the ministry, as it could not be trusted. Those were very serious allegations, and some even called them reckless. It was classic Winston Peters innuendo.

Six months later, on 24 April 2002, in the general debate-this very debate we are having now-Winston Peters lambasted the Minister of Fisheries for not taking action. He accused the Ministry of Fisheries of condoning corruption, aiding and abetting corruption, and involving itself in that corruption. Winston Peters said: “I will produce evidence that the ministry knowingly condoned that corruption.” He went on further to say: “In the next few weeks I intend to demonstrate with voluminous evidence and affidavits why this ministry should be removed from its job and the Serious Fraud Office asked, belatedly, to do its job.”

Eventually, a parliamentary inquiry into the scampi allegations was instigated by the Primary Production Committee, following a very high-profile Assignment programme that screened on television. One would have expected Winston Peters, having made those allegations, to rejoice at having got that inquiry but, oh no, he gave not a whisper, not a murmur. He quickly replaced Doug Woolerton, the permanent New Zealand First member on that select committee, and then spent his time focusing on narrowing and closing the terms of reference for the committee. It was all, one would say, rather curious.

The Primary Production Committee sat for several months, consumed an enormous amount of Parliament’s time, and reported on 2 December 2003. Winston Peters produced no evidence to support the reckless allegations he had made, and he certainly did not table the “voluminous evidence” he had promised. He was as quiet as a lamb, with barely a whisper.

Last night on television further allegations were made, and reference was made to a sworn affidavit. The functioning of this Parliament and its processes was raised, and the programme focused on a former member of this House-perhaps one of the most unsavoury members who has passed through this House-a Mr Ross Meurant.

It seems that a former member of Parliament, Ross Meurant, was engaged by Simunovich Fisheries as an adviser and lobbyist. Concurrent with that, of course-and a lot of people do not realise this-Mr Meurant was also hired by the New Zealand First Party and was on its payroll; actually, on the taxpayers’ payroll through the Parliamentary Service.

We were told that Mr Meurant attended several meetings, together with principals of Simunovich Fisheries. Mr Meurant’s former partner of some 9 years, Yvonne Theresa Dossetter, swears that Ross Meurant met at the Simunovich’s olive farm following the infamous Kermadec restaurant meal, and the proposal was put that the payment of $300,000 to Meurant would be a good investment for the Simunovich business. It is alleged that the deed was done, and that the money would be available from an Australian bank account. Subsequently, it is alleged that Mr Meurant boasted to Yvonne Dosseter, who has sworn an affidavit, that the money was paid, and that Meurant indeed had it in a brown paper bag.
    This is an extremely serious allegation, and it brings into question in the public’s mind the functioning of our representative democracy. What we have to realise is that Winston Peters was in there with him.

$300,000 buys a lot of scampi!

Does this smell fishy. There's a money trail here that stinks of fish.

Will be interesting to see if the SFO goes down to water with rod and line and if they do are they useing sharp hooks or will the big fish get away.

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Thread Information