Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Straight-lining corners

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Does this about sum it up? Did I miss anything?
    Yes. As I said, the whole point.

Dangerous pretty much summed it up in the above post.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    What if there is no centre line? Most good roads don't have them.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    then there's no reason to cross where the centre line WOULD be .... if there were one ..... which there isn't of course .....

... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    If you dont know were the center of the road is... you shouldnt have a licence, that sort of comment scares me.

As far as gravel or negitave camber goes a percentage of you guys will be fucked in road works then, best you stay home.

IMHO avoiding the center line (or center of road) is purely body position and riding skill. to compensate when you dont want to lean the bike over you use uper body weight when done corectly its like power steering, this is why I say to those that cross the line, they cant ride for shit.
    If you take offence to that comment then I will assume the truth hurts, and all I can say is its not hard to admit your riding skills can be improved (mine can and always will) and its not hard to learn and a damn site less painful that being a 4x4 bonnet badge.
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/roa...ping-left.html

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    IMHO
    we have to cater for the lowest common denominator on our roads, that means all the dumb-arses you see every day. Telling them "yeah its ok to cross the centre line (centre imaginary line if not there) and straight line it IF you are experienced and know what u are doing" merely gives them the allowance to do it, cos of course we are all so experienced and skilled at riding (Yeah right... tui moment).

I can understand why LTNZ makes it illegal... its simple, and there can be no arguements as we ALL know the rules (or should do) so there can be no disagreements. And it caters for the idiots "oh but I'm a great rider, just missed seeing the car/bike/pedestrian/cyclist/dog/cow/sheep this time cos..."

why take the risk?
    After all if you cant take the corners at the speed limit or recommended limit, then I suggest you dont have the skills to attempt straight lining it.
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

yank tank at Glenorchy 2006 rally

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    1st the road rules say keep left for a reason
    2nd if straight lining is done then the rider is going to fast (out of control)
    3rd bloody lazy salfish riding habbit

What happens is this bad habbit becomes automatic and one day with out relising it you will cut a corner by habbit while thinking about the root you missed out on the night before and BANG
    Precisely. It's illegal, unecessary AND a bad habit to get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    I think you will find that it is an offence (Failure to keep left).
    I also kinda grew up with using it, but decided that although it made corners smoother, the result was either much higher speeds (remembering that it was almost the norm to travel at 130kph+) or simply lazy riding, and it was easy to get real complacent and fail to scan far enough ahead or get out of practice doing short, tight corners.
    I don't do it now and haven't for years.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike

bikes are made to take corners.
    Actually, cornering a bike takes effort and some skill, because bikes are made to go in a straight line. That's what makes cornering on a bike fun.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by mstriumph View Post
    then there's no reason to cross where the centre line WOULD be .... if there were one ..... which there isn't of course .....

What about sealed roads that are only just wider than one lane?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Actually, cornering a bike takes effort and some skill, because bikes are made to go in a straight line. That's what makes cornering on a bike fun.
    Well said. I was summing up the points of others.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Stay in your half. In fact, on roads such as this, it is even more important to keep well to the left since, generally speaking, these roads are very windy and usually only well travelled by the local residents who become complacent since they seldom meet opposing traffic.

Bike
    tb
    Whats really fun is you hold the bike at 100kph close your eyes and have your pillion steer for you from the pillion seat its mean fun!!

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    if it's not a one-way then the same rules have to apply --- surely it's obvious that, unless you have x ray vision, you CAN'T know whether something is coming at you head-on around that corner .... so you just have to always assume something IS and ride accordingly??

ye gods, it costs sooooo MUCH to get yer bike fixed after an off - why would ANYONE risk that when avoiding it just means keeping yer speed appropriate and yer ego in check around blind corners?

honestly, reading back over some of these posts makes me think that some people hanging out here must either be obscenely wealthy or just uncaringly prolifigate ........
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mstriumph View Post
    honestly, reading back over some of these posts makes me think that some people hanging out here must either be obscenely wealthy or just uncaringly prolifigate ........
    And your point is...?

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    *returns to corner, picks up knitting and SULKS...*
    ... ...

Thread Information